Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hanga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hanga Reply with quote

At 05:05 PM 5/25/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

Thanks, I’m going to give it a try to extend my network from the house to the shop out back. I’d like to extend it to my hangar but it’s 15 miles away and, for sure, not on my breaker box. But if I can get my network out to my shop, I’ll be a happy camper.

Ohhh . . . 15 Miles? I was thinking 50 feet.

You CAN extend your wifi system to to distances
like that but you'll have to put up very directional
gain antennas possibly on short towers.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hanga Reply with quote

Bob,

Sorry to mess you up. I’m not the one with the hangar 50 feet away. I have a shop out back about 30 feet away.
Bob

Sent from my iPad

On May 26, 2018, at 10:40, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bob,

Thanks, I’m going to give it a try to extend my network from the house to the shop out back. I’d like to extend it to my hangar but it’s 15 miles away and, for sure, not on my breaker box. But if I can get my network out to my shop, I’ll be a happy camper.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hanga Reply with quote

I am the guy who has the hangar 50 feet away from the house and my Duraspeed DSL modem/WIFI router would not reach the hangar.

I just today received and installed these Netgear Powerline 1010 internet extenders:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01929V7ZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE:  the come in a “wired” and “wireless” options and make sure you select the wireless if you want to have WIFI in the remote location.

The instructions are HORRIBLE and the person who wrote the instructions should be required to setup a system based on using their instructions and then they will realize how stupid they actually are.

So here was the scenario:  I have a DSL modem/ WIFI router (in one convenient plastic case) and it has a black box power cord that plugs into the wall making heat and using electricity.  If my house was small that would be the singular solution however my house is large...and...it also has the steel outbuilding (hangar/workshop) 50 feet away.  The outbuilding is on the same power supply (downstream of the meter) as the house.

So I thought "great"...buy one BASE unit (plug looking box that does not have a WIFI antenna) and connect that to my existing router using the CAT 5 cable and then that box will digitize the internet signal and then use the house copper wires as the wired connection to transmit the internet signal to the far end of the house.  Then I will plug in the "WIFI ACCESS POINT" (plug looking box with the antenna) to grab the internet signal from the house coper wires and then transmit WIFI to that part of the house.  I would also use an additional WIFI ACCESS POINT and plug that into a socket in the master bedroom, and then use a third WIFI access point out in the shop.

So I need one BASE unit and three WIFI ACCESS POINTS …check…

HOWEVER…Netgear only sells these things in bundles (one BASE unit and one WIFI EXTENDER) and they do NOT sell the WIFI EXTENDERS separately!!!  So I am stuck having to buy THREE bundles and toss out the two unneeded BASE units (or buy two bundles PLUS a separate WIFI router then that router will have cables and wasted electricity.
Good thing these things come in bundles because one BASE unit did not work so I tossed it out and grabbed another unused one (was already in the garbage can because I thought I did not need it) and connected it up and synced the units and it worked.

I used Speedtest to conduct two download tests of my Duraspeed WIFI router to set a benchmark and then with each of the Netgear WIFI units up and running and located in the exact same room as the Duraspeed and at the same distance I ran two speed tests of each Netgear WIFI unit. 

Then I took the Netgear WIFI units out to the outbuilding and conducted two tests of each unit and to ensure reliable comparison I made sure my laptop was the same distance away from each unit when conducting the test and I also used the exact same wall outlet for each unit.

Ping                 Download            Upload
Duraspeed DSL Modem/WIFI           26                    11.68               1.24
                                                            80                    12.00               1.49

Netgear 18 In House                           31                    11.96               1.52
                                                            38                    12.09               1.50

Netgear 18 In Outbuilding                  33                    12.09               1.50
                                                            131                  12.26               1.50

Netgear 68 In House                           21                    11.79               1.47
                                                            87                    3.14                 1.51

Netgear 68 In Outbuilding                  32                    8.31                 1.50
Second test stalled
                                                            Third test stalled
                                                            27                    12.48               1.50

Well…it seems to be working now…I will report back if there are any more issues…

Cheers!!!

Bill  Hunter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Borger
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 9:01 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar???

Bob,

Sorry to mess you up. I’m not the one with the hangar 50 feet away. I have a shop out back about 30 feet away.

Bob
Sent from my iPad
On May 26, 2018, at 10:40, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Bob,

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hanga Reply with quote

At 01:52 PM 6/4/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

WOW, that was easy!

I now have extended our home network to my shop using a pair of those Asoka PlugLink 9650s. Plugged one into a power socket and connected it via ethernet cable to my Airport Extreme. Plugged the other into the wall in my shop and connected it via ethernet cable to an Airport Express. Opened the Airport Utility on my MacBook Air and told it the Airport Express was an extension of the home net and it was. Whole thing didn’t take more than 2 minutes. Very Cool indeed!

Thanks muchly for this non-aviation but powerful tip.

This should work a treat for the guy who wants to go 50 feet to his hangar.

I've had generally good results with that product
with one caveat . . . my house was built 1965 with
real "Romex" . . . tarpaper over hemp over pvc over
copper. It's characteristics as a transmission line
are, no doubt shady compared to modern wiring.
I have a few outlets (most remote from breaker box)
that give marginal connection. But for the most
part, they've worked well for me too.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hanga Reply with quote

At 02:09 PM 6/4/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
I installed the Netgear 1010 units and was equally happy with the results.

Our solar system has a similar “powerline” adapter that was just delivered and I need to plug it injust curious is two of these adapters connected to the same power system would screw with each others communication. I will install the SunPower adapter and report backIFit does not get cyber er smoked?!?!?

The Asoka units can be 'stacked' in the same
facility. They simply become an additional
port to what might be considered a whole-
house cat5 switch.

I've had as many as five transceivers
active at the same time with a couple
of 'roving' units used for handing
a cat5 cable to a visitor.

I.P. addresses for devices on the various
ports are managed by your home router.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: