Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground and ground loops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achille

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Ground and ground loops Reply with quote

Good morning,

I send a message about ground loops and ground, I let my electrical system without finishing my work on it since months due to winter and other things.

Yesterday I decided to finish it because it's the only things that I have to do to fly. And months without working on it let me a bit confuse, even if I had diagram that is close to Z19 from Bob book, but for a wooden canard plane.

- My first question that I have it's about my ground on the alternator.

On my drawing I wrote that I have a ground close to the battery on the forward side of the plane. (batery on the nose, and ground with B&C ground plate) and another ground spot on the engine side connected to the first via the 2awg ground for the starter.
My alternator is screwed on the engine. If I set a 8 AWG wire from his ground terminal to the engine ground I will have a ground loop right ? (so I let it without ground wire ?)

My external car regulator is grounded to the main ground close to the battery.
Also on my plane I was thinking that my 2awg starter ground will pickup all my ground that I have on the aft part of the plane. I wanted to set a bras plate bolt on the ground alternator screw were my 2 AWG starter but It looked like not mecanicaly good, so I set this ground on engine bolt encoutered around.

It's bad right ? (All my work during month reading the book to do a "good" electrical systeme are loosed on this " engine case bolt ground" ?

Thank you in advance to help me.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

ground mickael.pdf
 Description:
ground

Download
 Filename:  ground mickael.pdf
 Filesize:  461.58 KB
 Downloaded:  378 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ground and ground loops Reply with quote

Quote:
If I set a 8 AWG wire from his ground terminal to the engine ground I will have a ground loop right ?

I would install that alternator ground wire.
The engine ground bolt should be fine.
Ground loops are more of a concern for avionics and audio. Grounding them at a single point is good.
Consider using an EFIS instead of round gauges.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Ground and ground loops Reply with quote

At 04:05 AM 6/1/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Achille" <mickael.t(at)live.fr>

Good morning,

I send a message about ground loops and ground, I let my electrical system without finishing my work on it since months due to winter and other things.

Yesterday I decided to finish it because it's the only things that I have to do to fly. And months without working on it let me a bit confuse, even if I had diagram that is close to Z19 from Bob book, but for a wooden canard plane.

- My first question that I have it's about my ground on the alternator.

On my drawing I wrote that I have a ground close to the battery on the forward side of the plane. (batery on the nose, and ground with B&C ground plate) and another ground spot on the engine side connected to the first via the 2awg ground for the starter.
My alternator is screwed on the engine. If I set a 8 AWG wire from his ground terminal to the engine ground I will have a ground loop right ? (so I let it without ground wire ?)

Alternators automatically ground by virtue of
their metallic mounts to the engine. No additional
attention necessary.

Quote:
Also on my plane I was thinking that my 2awg starter ground will pickup all my ground that I have on the aft part of the plane. I wanted to set a bras plate bolt on the ground alternator screw were my 2 AWG starter but It looked like not mecanicaly good, so I set this ground on engine bolt encoutered around.

It's bad right ? (All my work during month reading the book to do a "good" electrical systeme are loosed on this " engine case bolt ground"

Is this a canard pusher? Check out this ground system
architecture

https://goo.gl/9PELRS

Think of your ground system as a 'star' centered on the
B&C Ground Block bolt. You need a starter current rated
jumper (2AWG certainly adequate) from a good crankcase
attach point to the ground block bolt.

You need a jumper from battery(-) to the ground block
bolt.

All other 'stuff' grounds at the block with wires
of same AWG as the power feeder.

Exception: All panel mounted electro-whizzies get
their own 'star' system.

Exceptions: Any avionics shields that show ground
symbols should ground locally to their associated
black box . . . do not extend shield grounds down
to the B&C Ground Bus.

Bob . . .

Achille

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ground and ground loops Reply with quote

Many thanks Joe and Bob for you reply.

I am reading again the book and it refresh my "knowledge" very well.

So I will let my alternator WHITOUT ground wire if I understand well;

My engine case couldn't substitute the firewall ground buse ? (I tell that because I already set ground on it.... Thing that I would like to avoid since.. yeasterday. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: