Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

Google for cantennae.
When I was in Kentucky, I wanted to get my wifi down by the pool. I set a 10"x10" square of aluminum behind my cable modem with the internal antennae to direct the signal. It worked like a charm.

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:35 PM, William Hunter <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Sorry about a slightly off topic question…however…since there are a lot of smart people with various technical backgrounds on this forum I was hoping to get some (free) IT advice.

I have a DSL ADSL2+ modem with WIFI transmitter in the center of my house (Comtrend AR-5381U).

My steel hangar is about 50 feet away and there is cement and asphalt over the ground between the house and the hangar so to dig down and install a CAT 5 cable run out to the hangar is not a fun option.

Are there any WIFI extender options available to get WIFI out to the hangar?

I envision some kind DSL modem with a high powered WIFI router in the house and one of the router’s external WIFI antennas can be remote mounted on the outside eve of the house using a cable connection between the WIFI router and the remote mounted antenna and then another such WIFI antenna mounted on the outside of the steel hangar with a cable to a WIFI router (or extender) inside the hangar that rebroadcasts the WIFI signal in the hangar. There is only about 50 feet distance between the house wall and the hangar wall.

Is there such a contraption available? If so can you please recommend a make and model.

Any advice/suggestions/experience/ moments of silence/ positive energy dances would be most appreciated!!!

Again…sorry about the off topic question.

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

On 5/2/2018 7:32 PM, William Hunter wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi All,

Sorry about a slightly off topic question…however…since there are a lot of smart people with various technical backgrounds on this forum I was hoping to get some (free) IT advice.

I have a DSL ADSL2+ modem with WIFI transmitter in the center of my house (Comtrend AR-5381U). 

My steel hangar is about 50 feet away and there is cement and asphalt over the ground between the house and the hangar so to dig down and install a CAT 5 cable run out to the hangar is not a fun option.

I envision some kind DSL modem with a high powered WIFI router in the house and one of the router’s external WIFI antennas can be remote mounted on the outside eve of the house using a cable connection between the WIFI router and the remote mounted antenna and then another such WIFI antenna mounted on the outside of the steel hangar with a cable to a WIFI router (or extender) inside the hangar that rebroadcasts the WIFI signal in the hangar.  There is only about 50 feet distance between the house wall and the hangar wall.

Is there such a contraption available?  If so can you please recommend a make and model.

Any advice/suggestions/experience/ moments of silence/ positive energy dances would be most appreciated!!!

Cheers!!!

Bill  Hunter

There are probably much more qualified people here that can advise, but I've done similar stuff.

I'd be doubtful of remoting one of the router's antennas, unless it specifically says you can. Most of the new stuff operates at roughly 5 times the frequency of our transponders. Dozens of feet of coax at those frequencies... not likely to work well.

One way is to wire a 2nd router to your network, positioned where the hangar can 'see' it. Place what's known as an 'access point' at the hangar, where it can 'see' the router at the house. Wire the access point to an additional router in the hangar. The kicker to all this is configuring everything to talk to each other. I did it years ago, when a neighbor could get DSL but my house was just too far away from the DSLAM to work. I now have a bad DSL connection, and a decent LTE modem serving my home network, and I've forgotten most of the config details.

A better option, Ubiquiti Nanostations, would look functionally similar, but would probably be easier to set up. I haven't used these, but they come highly recommended by guys on a Linux user group I monitor.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ubiquiti+nano+stations&oq=Ubiquiti+nano+stations&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65.7250182j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A bit over $100 for a pair, and you'll still need another router in the hangar.

A third option, if the hangar AC power is fed from the house's meter and panel, would be a power line networking pair. Note that both the transmitter and receiver need to be on the same 'side' of the panel (same phase of your AC power). Look here for options.
https://www.google.com/search?q=powerline+network+extender&oq=power+line+network&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11494j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

I set up a pair of these Ubiquiti Loco M5's for a hangar to hangar bridge of a few hundred feet
at our airport this year.  They are very easy to configure and work very well.
As mentioned by Charlie, you would then still put a wireless access point in the
hangar if you want wifi there (or you could hard wire a PC direct).
They have a range of 10km, so you probably want to lower the power level for
a short link, but, they should be very reliable and fast.   You can also buy some
versions of wireless AP that can act as a wireless client to your home wifi,
and mount that on the hangar and run the cable to your PC in the hangar.
There are just so many ways to skin the cat.  It all depends on how much cash
you put in, but in general the most you could spend would be a couple hundred
bucks if you went real deluxe.

Tim

On 5/2/2018 10:25 PM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

There are probably much more qualified people here that can advise, but I've done similar stuff.

I'd be doubtful of remoting one of the router's antennas, unless it specifically says you can. Most of the new stuff operates at roughly 5 times the frequency of our transponders. Dozens of feet of coax at those frequencies... not likely to work well.

One way is to wire a 2nd router to your network, positioned where the hangar can 'see' it. Place what's known as an 'access point' at the hangar, where it can 'see' the router at the house. Wire the access point to an additional router in the hangar. The kicker to all this is configuring everything to talk to each other. I did it years ago, when a neighbor could get DSL but my house was just too far away from the DSLAM to work. I now have a bad DSL connection, and a decent LTE modem serving my home network, and I've forgotten most of the config details.

A better option, Ubiquiti Nanostations, would look functionally similar, but would probably be easier to set up. I haven't used these, but they come highly recommended by guys on a Linux user group I monitor.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ubiquiti+nano+stations&oq=Ubiquiti+nano+stations&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65.7250182j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A third option, if the hangar AC power is fed from the house's meter and panel, would be a power line networking pair. Note that both the transmitter and receiver need to be on the same 'side' of the panel (same phase of your AC power). Look here for options.
https://www.google.com/search?q=powerline+network+extender&oq=power+line+network&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11494j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Charlie

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

Yes I admit this topic is a bit over my head…so THANKS for your help.

Quote:
It all depends on how much cash you put in, but in general the most you could spend would be a couple hundred bucks if you went real deluxe.

200 bucks is within the threshold of pain…less pain than digging

Quote:
you would then still put a wireless access point in the hangar if you want wifi

Yes preferred based on the need for handheld phones in addition to the PC (poor cellphone coverage here so WIFI is the only internet show in town)

Quote:
They have a range of 10km,

The house does not have any windows that face the hangar so some kind of remote antenna under the eve of the roof would be ideal… how does the WIFI get from the inside router to the rocket antenna?

The hangar is only 50 feet wall to wall…

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Olson
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:12 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar???

I set up a pair of these Ubiquiti Loco M5's for a hangar to hangar bridge of a few hundred feet
at our airport this year. They are very easy to configure and work very well.
As mentioned by Charlie, you would then still put a wireless access point in the
a short link, but, they should be very reliable and fast. You can also buy some
There are just so many ways to skin the cat. It all depends on how much cash
you put in, but in general the most you could spend would be a couple hundred

Tim

Quote:
Quote:

Charlie

ventura(at)brandeis.edu

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

Tmart sells several inexpensive WiFi devices that may help you.  Go to the link below, and search for wifi extender, wifi repeater, and wifi booster.  That should cover it.

I have not purchased any of these devices, so I don't know how good they are, however, I have purchased other electronics, including wifi devices from them, and they worked as advertised.  Reviews of the products are available, but I do not know how useful they will be.
Be aware that some of their products ship from the US and others from China, so check that out.  Since they usually don't charge for shipping, if it is coming from China, it will be by slow boat and can take over a month.
Since I have an account with them, if I refer you we each get a $10 off coupon.  Let me know if you are interested in that.  Good luck, and let us know what worked. --joel
https://www.tmart.com/search.html?typeid=&q=wifi+repeater

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 8:32 PM, William Hunter <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi All,

I envision some kind DSL modem with a high powered WIFI router in the house and one of the router’s external WIFI antennas can be remote mounted on the outside eve of the house using a cable connection between the WIFI router and the remote mounted antenna and then another such WIFI antenna mounted on the outside of the steel hangar with a cable to a WIFI router (or extender) inside the hangar that rebroadcasts the WIFI signal in the hangar.  There is only about 50 feet distance between the house wall and the hangar wall.

Is there such a contraption available?  If so can you please recommend a make and model.

Cheers!!!

Bill  Hunter

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

With wifi there are so many ways you can do the various
links, from repeaters to hard wired and then wireless
bridges to jump the gap. I personally prefer to hardware
to the bridges. So, going that route looks like this:

Assuming you have a current router that has an open LAN
port on it to plug a hard wired device, you run a cable from
the router to under your eaves or anywhere that you can get
line of sight to the hangar. Literally any line of site
should work fine. You plug the cable into the Ubiquiti bridge
and run it to the router. You connect a little
power-over-ethernet box into that cable, and then your
router uses a second shorter patch cable to connect to
that POE box as well. That POE box makes things real
nice as you don't have to run a power circuit to the bridge,
but it's fed by the CAT5/6 cable by injecting power inline.

Now you're broadcasting. And these things can go point
to point, or point to multipoint, so if you had other
garages, you just need another one for every site you want
to connect into the system.

Here are 2 versions of bridge. You can use whichever
frequency band you want.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-0000070700985-NanoStation-loco/dp/B004EHSV4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525361752&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation+loco+m5
https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B00DCNRTAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525361777&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation+loco+m2
On the hangar end, you have basically a very similar thing,
in that you have a power injector with a CAT5/6 cable to
the wireless bridge device. But, on the inside of
that POE converter, you just connect a patch cable to
whatever router or access point you want to use in the
hangar. You do NOT use the WAN port if you use a router,
as this router you would want operating in wireless
access point mode.

There are just hundreds of choices, and I've never
bought Ubiquiti for in-home AP's before, but something
like this would work.
https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-UAP-AC-Iw-Wireless-Access/dp/B06XZLP8Q6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525361647&sr=8-2&keywords=unifi+ac+in-wall

As would something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525361714&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+apac+lite

So just plug the cat5/6 from the AP into the
same power injector on the LAN side, (or if it offers it's own
POE adapter just use CAT5/6 to connect them together)
and then you now have a wireless AP in your hangar
that's on the same network as your house network is.

You can set the same SSID if you wish, on the AP, and the
same security, and everything.

I'm a fan of not buying all-in-one wireless routers, because
it allows you to buy a nice little router and then have
separate AP's to locate in places to better cover the house.
Anyway, that's a general picture of what you'd buy and
how you'd connect it.
Programming them is pretty easy too.

Tim
On 5/2/2018 11:32 PM, William Hunter wrote:
Quote:
Yes I admit this topic is a bit over my head…so THANKS for your help.

> It all depends on how much cash you put in, but in general the most
you could spend would be a couple hundred bucks if you went real deluxe.

200 bucks is within the threshold of pain…less pain than digging

> you would then still put a wireless access point in the hangar if you want wifi

Yes preferred based on the need for handheld phones in addition to the
PC (poor cellphone coverage here so WIFI is the only internet show in town)

>They have a range of 10km,

The house does not have any windows that face the hangar so some kind of
remote antenna under the eve of the roof would be ideal… how does the
WIFI get from the inside router to the rocket antenna?

The hangar is only 50 feet wall to wall…

Cheers!!!

Bill  Hunter

[mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Tim
Olson
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:12 PM
*To:* aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My
Remote Steel Hangar???

I set up a pair of these Ubiquiti Loco M5's for a hangar to hangar
bridge of a few hundred feet
at our airport this year.  They are very easy to configure and work very
well.
As mentioned by Charlie, you would then still put a wireless access
point in the
a short link, but, they should be very reliable and fast.   You can also
buy some
There are just so many ways to skin the cat.  It all depends on how much
cash
you put in, but in general the most you could spend would be a couple
hundred

Tim

There are probably much more qualified people here that can advise,
but I've done similar stuff.

I'd be doubtful of remoting one of the router's antennas, unless it
specifically says you can. Most of the new stuff operates at roughly
5 times the frequency of our transponders. Dozens of feet of coax at
those frequencies... not likely to work well.

One way is to wire a 2nd router to your network, positioned where
the hangar can 'see' it. Place what's known as an 'access point' at
the hangar, where it can 'see' the router at the house. Wire the
access point to an additional router in the hangar. The kicker to
all this is configuring everything to talk to each other. I did it
years ago, when a neighbor could get DSL but my house was just too
far away from the DSLAM to work. I now have a bad DSL connection,
and a decent LTE modem serving my home network, and I've forgotten
most of the config details.

A better option, Ubiquiti Nanostations, would look functionally
similar, but would probably be easier to set up. I haven't used
these, but they come highly recommended by guys on a Linux user
group I monitor.

A bit over $100 for a pair, and you'll still need another router in
the hangar.

A third option, if the hangar AC power is fed from the house's meter
and panel, would be a power line networking pair. Note that both the
transmitter and receiver need to be on the same 'side' of the panel
(same phase of your AC power). Look here for options.

Charlie

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you (work sometimes interferes with
my regularly scheduled life). THANKS for the time in sharing your advice!!!

While shopping for Ubiquiti bridge on Amazon I found these power line
extenders:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG
/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525622222&sr=8-3&keywords=Powerline+Networking+with
+wifi

Does anyone have any experience with this type of WIFI extender devices???

It seems that with this design the first unit receives the WIFI signal and
then since it is plugged into a wall outlet it transmits the digital signal
over the copper wiring in the house. Any other units plugged into the house
power supply will then grab that signal and then transmit the WIFI. They
say you can use up to 15 of these units scattered about the house to extend
your WIFI.

My hangar gets it power supply from the house power downstream from the
meter so imagine it would work in the same manner as if the box was plugged
into an outlet in the other room.
If they work it would be much easier to install than the plan A of running a
CAT 5 cable up to the attic and then to the house eve where the WIFI
extender antenna would be located and then the same setup out in the
hangar...PLUS...the master bedroom of the house is a bit far from the router
so the signal coverage is poor so hopefully if I buy three of these devices
I can get better WIFI in the master bedroom as well as getting WIFI out in
the hangar.

Technology is great...IF it works!!!

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

--

retasker

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

Haven't used these specifically, but Netgear is a reputable company and this technology is mature (as evidenced by all the Chinese copies among other things) and certainly an inexpensive easy
solution.  I use another product based on powerline connections and it works over a significant distance (probably 500+ feet although I haven't actually measured it).

The main caution is that they have to be connected to the same phase on each end.   Pretty easy to test.  If the signal is poor just swap one of the connections (find an outlet that is connected to
the other phase).  If you have anything that generates a lot of powerline noise (e.g. arc welder) it could be a problem but for typical motors, etc. should work fine.

I believe that someone else already suggested this as a solution to your dilemma.

Dick Tasker

William Hunter wrote:
[quote]

Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you (work sometimes interferes with
my regularly scheduled life). THANKS for the time in sharing your advice!!!

extenders:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG
/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525622222&sr=8-3&keywords=Powerline+Networking+with
+wifi

Does anyone have any experience with this type of WIFI extender devices???

over the copper wiring in the house. Any other units plugged into the house
your WIFI.

If they work it would be much easier to install than the plan A of running a
hangar...PLUS...the master bedroom of the house is a bit far from the router
the hangar.

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: WIFI Repeater/Booster Options For My Remote Steel Hangar??? Reply with quote

That's the type device I mentioned as the last option in my earlier post.
Read the reviews, taking with a grain of salt the tech savvy of the
reviewer. And other companies make the same type device; look at those as
well. My earlier post linked a google search for this type device. As I
mentioned, it's likely that both devices will need to be on the same 'side'
of your 220V AC power, if not on the same circuit breaker. You might have
great luck with it, or terrible luck, depending on your wiring situation
and whether you get it set up properly.

If you have a Prime account & can return for free, it might be worth a
shot. But the Ubiquiti stuff, while a bit more work, is almost a certainty
of high quality signal.

Charlie

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 11:21 AM, William Hunter <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

[quote]
billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com>

Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you (work sometimes interferes
with
my regularly scheduled life). THANKS for the time in sharing your
advice!!!

extenders:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-
11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG
/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525622222&sr=8-3&keywords=
Powerline+Networking+with
+wifi

Does anyone have any experience with this type of WIFI extender
devices???

over the copper wiring in the house. Any other units plugged into the
house
your WIFI.

If they work it would be much easier to install than the plan A of running
a
hangar...PLUS...the master bedroom of the house is a bit far from the
router
the hangar.

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: