Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/4 watt Panasonic resistors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dj_theis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: 1/4 watt Panasonic resistors Reply with quote

I am building the Audio Isolation Amplifier detailed on the Aeroelectric Connection. I purchased some of the residual boards from Bob Nuckolls in late 2017. It's been a while since I've done any board level work but I have enough self confidence (justified or not) and experience to not have many concerns with the project.

Anyway, a recent shoulder surgery provided the "free time" to stop working on my plane and spend some quality time with a soldering iron. I ordered components from Digikey and received the completed order in just a few days. I was surprised to find the 1/4 watt resistors appear to be (what I remember from years past) as about the size of 1/8 resistors (i.e. just under 4 mm in length).

These are mostly Panasonic resistors and when I go to the Panasonic datasheet (also available on the Digikey site) the specification shows that yes, their 1/4 resistors are about the size of what I recall (from years back) as being 1/8 watt resistors.

So, what gives? Every reference I find on the "web" (other than the Panasonic specification document) shows 1/4 watt resistors about the size of what they were when I last visited a "walk in" Radio Shack store (6 to 8 mm long).

I don't want to go through the trouble of assembling the amplifier if I'm just making an expensive smoke generator.

Any comments the forum can provide would be much appreciated.

Dan Theis.

Sonex 1362
Plans building and enjoying every year of it...

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: 1/4 watt Panasonic resistors Reply with quote

Could be something other than traditional carbon. I wouldn't worry about it. Most of them could probably be smaller than 1/8 watt, anyway.
Charlie
On Mar 7, 2018, at 8:50 PM, dj_theis <djtheis58(at)gmail.com (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com>I am building the Audio Isolation Amplifier detailed on the Aeroelectric Connection. I purchased some of the residual boards from Bob Nuckolls in late 2017. It's been a while since I've done any board level work but I have enough self confidence (justified or not) and experience to not have many concerns with the project.Anyway, a recent shoulder surgery provided the "free time" to stop working on my plane and spend some quality time with a soldering iron. I ordered components from Digikey and received the completed order in just a few days. I was surprised to find the 1/4 watt resistors appear to be (what I remember from years past) as about the size of 1/8 resistors (i.e. just under 4 mm in length). These are mostly Panasonic resistors and when I go to the Panasonic datasheet (also available on the Digikey site) the specification shows that yes, their 1/4 resistors are about the size of what I recall (from years back) as being 1/8 watt resistors.So, what gives? Every reference I find on the "web" (other than the Panasonic specification document) shows 1/4 watt resistors about the size of what they were when I last visited a "walk in" Radio Shack store (6 to 8 mm long).I don't want to go through the trouble of assembling the amplifier if I'm just making an expensive smoke generator.Any comments the forum can provide would be much appreciated.Dan Theis.Sonex 1362Plans building and enjoying every year of it...--------Scratch building Sonex #1362Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=478491#478491http://www.matronics.com/Navigato="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: 1/4 watt Panasonic resistors Reply with quote

At 07:45 PM 3/7/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com>

I am building the Audio Isolation Amplifier detailed on the Aeroelectric Connection. I purchased some of the residual boards from Bob Nuckolls in late 2017. It's been a while since I've done any board level work but I have enough self confidence (justified or not) and experience to not have many concerns with the project.

Anyway, a recent shoulder surgery provided the "free time" to stop working on my plane and spend some quality time with a soldering iron. I ordered components from Digikey and received the completed order in just a few days. I was surprised to find the 1/4 watt resistors appear to be (what I remember from years past) as about the size of 1/8 resistors (i.e. just under 4 mm in length).

These are mostly Panasonic resistors and when I go to the Panasonic datasheet (also available on the Digikey site) the specification shows that yes, their 1/4 resistors are about the size of what I recall (from years back) as being 1/8 watt resistors.

Materials for fabricating components have
evolved over the years and many components
have become smaller for their dissipation
ratings. In any case, NONE of the resistors
in the amplifier are thermally challenged . . .
what ever you can find that fits into the
slot on the board will be fine.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Bob . . .

wrmaxwell(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: 1/4 watt Panasonic resistors Reply with quote

These days most new quarter watt resistors are of metal film composition and are of a size more akin to the 1/8 watters of a few years ago. They tend to be of tighter tolerance too, thanks to the mode of manufacture but fortunately are still cheap.
Bill

On 9/03/2018 3:20 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
At 07:45 PM 3/7/2018, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com> (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)

I am building the Audio Isolation Amplifier detailed on the Aeroelectric Connection.  I purchased some of the residual boards from Bob Nuckolls  in late 2017.  It's been a while since I've done any board level work but I have enough self confidence (justified or not) and experience to not have many concerns with the project.

Anyway, a recent shoulder surgery provided the "free time" to stop working on my plane and spend some quality time with a soldering iron.  I ordered components from Digikey  and received the completed order in just a few days.  I was surprised to find the 1/4 watt resistors appear to be (what I remember from years past) as about the size of 1/8 resistors (i.e. just under 4 mm in length). 

Materials for fabricating components have
   evolved over the years and many components
   have become smaller for their dissipation
   ratings. In any case, NONE of the resistors
   in the amplifier are thermally challenged . . .
   what ever you can find that fits into the
   slot on the board will be fine.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: