Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double stick foam anchors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

Folks,

Is there any reason why I should not use one of these anchors with the double stick foam in a position such as this?

-- Art Z.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and bizarre typos.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

MVIMG_20171114_205005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  920.35 KB
 Viewed:  10898 Time(s)

MVIMG_20171114_205005.jpg

ashleysc(at)broadstripe.n

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

Hi Art;

I have tried these (or something like them). The ones I tried had the adhesive already applied. Some of them came unstuck after a while. If there is a way to put a small rivet through the center, I would do it.
Cheers! Stu.
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:54:58 PM
Subject: Double stick foam anchors
Folks,

Is there any reason why I should not use one of these anchors with the double stick foam in a position such as this?

-- Art Z.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

The main reason not to use them is, like Stu said, they come unstuck after time. If you must use them, clean the aluminum with acetone first.

bartrim(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

Aaahh, sticky-back zip-tie anchors, love 'em & hate 'em. I use them at work often. Sometimes they hold with a permanent bond and are very difficult to remove and often they do not hold at all. Over all, they do work well if you have a clean surface and apply in warm environment. But don't count on it.

Todd
C-FSTB

Todd Bartrim

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:05 PM, <ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Art;

I have tried these (or something like them). The ones I tried had the adhesive already applied. Some of them came unstuck after a while. If there is a way to put a small rivet through the center, I would do it.
Cheers!   Stu.
From: "Art Zemon" <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: AeroElectric-List: Double stick foam anchors
Folks,

-- Art Z.

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

Or remove the adhesive and use JB Weld.

Tim

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: Double stick foam anchors

Hi Art;

Cheers! Stu.

Folks,

-- Art Z.

paul.r.kuntz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

If you use just the sticky back foam mounting, any constant load, even small, will eventually pull free.  As suggested by a previous post, I just scrape off the foam backing, roughen the surface with coarse sandpaper and mount the pads with JB Weld.  It takes a few minutes but you’ll only do it once.  

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 20:01 Tim Yoder <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com (ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Tim

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net)

Hi Art;

Cheers!   Stu.

Subject: AeroElectric-List: Double stick foam anchors

Folks,

-- Art Z.

harleydixon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

I removed the sticky stuff on some of mine that were coming loose and replaced them with "Scotch Extremely Strong" mounting tape.  So far so good!

Harley

[img]cid:part3.720DE91C.2C704EBF(at)agelesswings.com[/img] On 11/14/2017 11:08 PM, Paul Kuntz wrote:

Quote:
If you use just the sticky back foam mounting, any constant load, even small, will eventually pull free.  As suggested by a previous post, I just scrape off the foam backing, roughen the surface with coarse sandpaper and mount the pads with JB Weld.  It takes a few minutes but you’ll only do it once.  

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 20:01 Tim Yoder <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com (ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Tim

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net)

Hi Art;

Cheers!   Stu.

Folks,

-- Art Z.

mokahcffhacgmjib.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.11 KB
 Viewed:  10868 Time(s)

mokahcffhacgmjib.png

Long EZ N28EZ
Canandaigua Airport (D38)
Canandaigua, NY
Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

That tape is extremely strong...very hard to remove(but not as permanent
as JB Weld). It is commonly found in auto parts stores labeled for
mounting body trim strips.

On 11/15/2017 6:23 AM, Harley Dixon wrote:
Quote:
3M Extreme Mounting Tape 13M Extreme Mounting Tape 1
I removed the sticky stuff on some of mine that were coming loose and
replaced them with "Scotch Extremely Strong" mounting tape.  So far so good!

Harley

On 11/14/2017 11:08 PM, Paul Kuntz wrote:
> If you use just the sticky back foam mounting, any constant load, even
> small, will eventually pull free.  As suggested by a previous post, I
> just scrape off the foam backing, roughen the surface with coarse
> sandpaper and mount the pads with JB Weld.  It takes a few minutes but
> you’ll only do it once.
>

rv6awingman(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

I've been using a dab of "shoe glue" right on the anchors without removing their adhesive.  Seems to work.  Shoe glue is tough stuff but can be removed if needed unlike JB Weld.
Marty

Time: 06:57:00 PM PST US

Folks,

Is there any reason why I should not use one of these anchors with the
double stick foam in a position such as this?

-- Art Z.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and bizarre typos

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

I suppose that I could use a squirt of RTV, too. In the spots that I am considering, there are only a few wires and there will be no significant force pulling on the mount.
Thanks for the feedback, folks.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

That tape is extremely strong...very hard to remove(but not as permanent as JB Weld). It is commonly found in auto parts stores labeled for mounting body trim strips.

Quote:

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

It really isn't the amount of force that will do them in but the changes in temperature, vibration, and TIME. Some may hold for a while but if you really want them to stay, remove the foam stick tape and bond them with adhesive. I have them installed throughout the inside of my plane and all have been bonded in place. Have tried to remove a couple of them and they are in place permanently. It takes maybe a minute extra per but well worth the effort in the long run, especially if they are in tight places that are hard to get to later on.
Bob

Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:29 AM

I suppose that I could use a squirt of RTV, too. In the spots that I am considering, there are only a few wires and there will be no significant force pulling on the mount.
Thanks for the feedback, folks.
Cheers,
-- Art Z.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

That tape is extremely strong...very hard to remove(but not as permanent as JB Weld). It is commonly found in auto parts stores labeled for mounting body trim strips.

Quote:

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

At 08:03 AM 11/15/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
I've been using a dab of "shoe glue" right on the anchors without removing their adhesive. Seems to work. Shoe glue is tough stuff but can be removed if needed unlike JB Weld.

Sho Goo, like its industrial cousin E6000 was
the adhesive of choice for crafting and installing
bond studs to surfaces without drilling holes.

http://tinyurl.com/ydasnwk9

http://tinyurl.com/j2gxbqy

Early studies for suitable adhesives included
JB weld but while it does get a good grip
on things, it's not as compliant nor
does it adhere to slick and/or plastic
surfaces as the E6000. My adhesive of
choice would be the E6000.

3M does produce VHB (very high bond) mounting
tapes that are quite strong

http://tinyurl.com/ydfql26k

Run some tests with any alternative adhesive.
Bond the part down. Wait 24 hours and then
pull it off. What breaks first and how
hard was it to get it off.

Generally speaking, bonded on fasteners
should be used only for non-structural,
low risk security on wire bundles, coax
feeders, perhaps NylaFlo pitot or static
pressure lines.

Bob . . .

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

Bob,
That's exactly the situation I have. There are a few places where I want to secure a small wire bundle and the most convenient thing to attach it to is the .025 aluminum skin of the plane. There are also a couple of places where I want to tie up a single coax and there is no rigid structure.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Generally speaking, bonded on fasteners
  should be used only for non-structural,
  low risk security on wire bundles, coax
  feeders, perhaps NylaFlo pitot or static
  pressure lines. 

--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Double stick foam anchors Reply with quote

At 01:11 PM 11/15/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

That's exactly the situation I have. There are a few places where I want to secure a small wire bundle and the most convenient thing to attach it to is the .025 aluminum skin of the plane. There are also a couple of places where I want to tie up a single coax and there is no rigid structure.

yup . . . that's what the bond studs are all
about. We used them in production on a number
of models at Beech. But these were "qualified"
parts that were two orders of magnitude more
expensive than a McMaster-Carr stud stuck to
the aircraft with E6000.

I've got no heartburn with the Nylon cable mounts.
If one were to seek out the epitome of this
methodology you would look for products like this:

6/6 black nylon, very high bond adhesive pads.
I've not been able to find anyone offering less
than bags of 100. Here's one offering from
Allied Electronics.

http://tinyurl.com/y7qjqy2m

Digikey has them too but higher priced
and lots of 100 minimum

http://tinyurl.com/y7rel4q4

Perhaps a few builders could team up and
buy a bag to split.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: