Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuse link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

Hi - My A/p control unit is placed on the left panel, the wire call-out is 22AWG with 5amp fuse or C/b, I'm going to put a C/b on the right panel, to serve as isolation or quick disconnect from co-pilot side, with the total run about 4 feet, C/b at mid point, do I up the wire to 18AWG, and put a 22AWG fuse link at the un-fused bus - regards: John

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

At 08:22 AM 11/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "JOHN TIPTON" <jmtipton(at)btopenworld.com>

Hi - My A/p control unit is placed on the left panel, the wire call-out is 22AWG with 5amp fuse or C/b, I'm going to put a C/b on the right panel, to serve as isolation or quick disconnect from co-pilot side, with the total run about 4 feet, C/b at mid point, do I up the wire to 18AWG, and put a 22AWG fuse link at the un-fused bus - regards: John

The a/p control head doesn't have a power switch on it?
Don't understand the need for pressing breakers into
service as failure mitigation devices. What kind of a/p
are we talking about?

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

As mentioned, the C/b was going to be there to isolate the A/p on the copilot side, the pilots stick has a servo disconnect button - the A/p is a Trio ez-pilot
John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
On 7 Nov 2017, at 3:18 pm, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 08:22 AM 11/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "JOHN TIPTON" <jmtipton(at)btopenworld.com (jmtipton(at)btopenworld.com)>

The a/p control head doesn't have a power switch on it?
Don't understand the need for pressing breakers into
service as failure mitigation devices. What kind of a/p
are we talking about?

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

At 06:24 PM 11/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
As mentioned, the C/b was going to be there to isolate the A/p on the copilot side, the pilots stick has a servo disconnect button - the A/p is a Trio ez-pilot
Quote:

Not sure what 'isolate' means . . . is it your desire
to place an a/p disconnect feature in reach of the
copilot?

Bob . . .

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Yes: the C/b
John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
On 8 Nov 2017, at 2:14 am, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 06:24 PM 11/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure what 'isolate' means . . . is it your desire
to place an a/p disconnect feature in reach of the
copilot?

Bob . . .

zwakie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse link Reply with quote

Hi John, I don't understand why you would want to use a c/b (in the power feed line?!?) of the Trio where it has a pin dedicated that disconnects the A/P when connected to ground.

I don't have the pin number readily available, but all you would need is a normally open momentary switch that you can wire in parallel to the switch you already have. Wire-size is not critical because of the NO characteristic of the switch...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

At 02:49 AM 11/8/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob

John

I sense that you are perhaps putting too
much weight on an a/p failure. First, the
the most likely failure is simple shut down
(quits and relaxes) or, if it uses stepper
motors, freezes up. The least likely failure
is a hard-over runaway.

Should a runaway occur, the first thing
you do is grab the stick and regain control.
The a/p is physically incapable of forces
you cannot manage manually. Once control is
achieved, getting it shut down is no big deal.
I would resist adding any more hardware or holes
in the panel just to effect a/p shutdown when
the event being managed is not an emergency.

Bob . . .

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

Hi Marcel

Yes: I've got the servo disconnect available ready for the pilots stick grip, my thought is to put a breaker over on the right, so the copilot can have a 'disconnect' (that side will only have a PTT).

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 8 Nov 2017, at 3:04 pm, zwakie <mz(at)cariama.nl> wrote:

Hi John, I don't understand why you would want to use a c/b (in the power feed line?!?) of the Trio where it has a pin dedicated that disconnects the A/P when connected to ground.

I don't have the pin number readily available, but all you would need is a normally open momentary switch that you can wire in parallel to the switch you already have.

--------
Marcel Zwakenberg
XS TG || 912ULS || PH-SBR

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=474621#474621

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Fuse link Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Yes, you have summed it all up, what has been in my mind.
22AWG wire, 5amp fuse on the fuse block - no C/b ---
Thank you
John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
On 8 Nov 2017, at 3:30 pm, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 02:49 AM 11/8/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob

John

I sense that you are perhaps putting too
much weight on an a/p failure. First, the
the most likely failure is simple shut down
(quits and relaxes) or, if it uses stepper
motors, freezes up. The least likely failure
is a hard-over runaway.

Should a runaway occur, the first thing
you do is grab the stick and regain control.
The a/p is physically incapable of forces
you cannot manage manually. Once control is
achieved, getting it shut down is no big deal.
I would resist adding any more hardware or holes
in the panel just to effect a/p shutdown when
the event being managed is not an emergency.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: