Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N456TS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

FYI, there is a new AD coming out on Ameri-King ELTs. I suspect every Allegro is effected.
The executive summary is that Ameri-King ELTs are bottom of the barrel junk (I suspect everyone here already has first hand experience with this). The FAA is now addressing the low quality and high failure rates of their ELTs. The AD becomes effective Oct 24, 2017. You have 12 months to conform. Basically, they want to make sure it's still working and if not, get corrected. So, nothing too exciting.

To have a reliable ELT, maybe an ACK E-04 would be a good alternative (for experimentals)?... S-LSAs would require an LOA.

PDF attached.

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

Ameri-King AD.pdf
 Description:
Ameri-King FAA issued AD

Download
 Filename:  Ameri-King AD.pdf
 Filesize:  152.49 KB
 Downloaded:  819 Time(s)

jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

What is an LOA?

N44456
X09

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N456TS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com wrote:
What is an LOA?
N44456
X09

Hi.
An LOA is a Letter of Authority. For S-LSAs any modification or repair which is NOT written in the aircraft manuals, OR a method acceptable to the administrator (procedures in AC 43-13, on-condition inspections, etc) require an LOA from the manufacturer.

In the example of the ACK E-04, it's a pretty different setup compared to the Ameri-King. It requires ship power. It's connected to the aircraft's GPS for precise location search. I believe its physical size is different, which will require consideration. It also uses a different mounting bracket. If its weight is different (I would suspect so), it will require a new weight and balance. So, it's not a drop-in upgrade/replacement.

jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

Thanks. Good info about the ACK too.

Do you know if Doug has issued an LOA for the ACK?

N44456
Covey Trails (X09)

--

jlhazen(at)copper.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

Is Allegro still in business?
Jim
N44469
Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 09/25/2017 9:37 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: allegro-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Allegro-List: Re: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive

--> Allegro-List message posted by: "Jerry Goldberg" <jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com>

Thanks.  Good info about the ACK too.

N44456
Covey Trails (X09)

--

jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

Allegro is now LSA America & doing well.  Main phone 252-586-1200.

Per Doug Hempstead, President, no LOA is needed to change common components like ELT, radio, etc.  AD allows to test your Ameri King unit & no need to replace if it works properly.

Jerry Goldberg
N44456
Covey Trails (X09)

From: owner-allegro-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-allegro-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jlhazen
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 11:44 AM
Subject: RE: Re: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive

Jim

N44469

From: Jerry Goldberg <jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com (jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com)>
To: allegro-list(at)matronics.com (allegro-list(at)matronics.com)

--> Allegro-List message posted by: "Jerry Goldberg" <jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com (jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com)>

N44456
Covey Trails (X09)

--

N456TS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

Hi.
An LOA would definitely be required to change ELT type. Per FAA. A simple replacement of same type, no LOA needed. I don't know if Doug has ever considered releasing an LOA for the ACK E-04. You can't buy Ameri-King ELTs anymore. The FAA has shutdown their sales and revoked their TSO. So, if an Allegro was built today, it won't ship with an Ameri-King ELT.

doug(at)allegrolsa.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

Jim,
Thank you for your note.  Yes, we are still going and send parts around the world for Allegro aircraft.  If this is in regard to the Ameri-King, the bulletin only requires the ELT to be tested to insure it is working.  If it needs to be replaced, the owner/operator is allowed to do this with any battery operated ELT, and, providing they check to insure the aircraft is not pulling more power than the Rotax engine can produce, may also use a direct power replacement.  If you need any other parts, please contact us at the number below, or email.
Best regards,
Doug

Douglas Hempstead
LSA America, Inc.
PO Box 490
Littleton, NC 27850
252-586-1200 – office
336-202-1585 - cell
www.allegrolsa.com
doug(at)allegrolsa.com (doug(at)allegrolsa.com)

From: owner-allegro-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-allegro-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jlhazen
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 12:44 PM

Jim

N44469

From: Jerry Goldberg <jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com (jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com)>
To: allegro-list(at)matronics.com (allegro-list(at)matronics.com)

--> Allegro-List message posted by: "Jerry Goldberg" <jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com (jkgcpa(at)ix.netcom.com)>

N44456
Covey Trails (X09)

--

lsvance54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

My AK-450 ELT is on its last legs. Time to replace. I am looking at the Kannad Ameri-Fit Pack as a replacement. It includes the Integra AF 406MHz / 121.5MHz beacon with mounting plate and remote control Panel. Does anyone in our group have any experience with this ELT? It seems like a pretty simple swap-out and even has an internal GPS. I'm also thinking it could be used with the auxiliary antenna in lieu of an external whip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: New Ameri-King Airworthiness Directive Reply with quote

Yeah, my RV-8's got one of those too. What a bummer. During
installation, the use of RG-11 for control and signal, seemed dubious
to me and seriously made me question the soundness of the engineering
throughout. Guess, my hunch was right.

I'd love to find a drop-in replacement. I've got a serial GPS
position signal going to it already, so an internal GPS might be overkill.

Curious where the community is going...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 N998RV
http://www.mattsrv8.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/MattsRV8

At 10/5/2020 04:57 PM Monday, you wrote:
Quote:

My AK-450 ELT is on its last legs. Time to replace. I am looking at
the Kannad Ameri-Fit Pack as a replacement. It includes the Integra
AF 406MHz / 121.5MHz beacon with mounting plate and remote control
Panel. Does anyone in our group have any experience with this
ELT? It seems like a pretty simple swap-out and even has an
internal GPS. I'm also thinking it could be used with the auxiliary
antenna in lieu of an external whip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

--------
Scott
N25017

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=498678#498678

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: