Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 AWG crimping tool

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Achille



Joined: 12 Jun 2017
Posts: 25
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a question about crimping 2 AWG wire. I was wiring my plane and it came the time to wire my 2 AWG cable.

For that I bought a crimping tool, this : (Not the best I agree)

http://www.electricianstoolsonline.com/mini-hex-crimper-6mm2-to-50mm2

We can see that is for : 6mm², 10mm², 16mm², 25mm², 35mm², 50mm²
Hexagonal crimp

My cable was a 2 AWG mil spec and my terminal is bought on the same website bandc-aero.

I tried to crimp one with the 25mm2 jaw (for me 2 AWG it's 32mm2 ?), cable looked well maintained but terminal was deformed. With on a side a sharp edge.

So I crimped with the 50mm2, I performed a light traction test it seems to be ok terminal stay on the wire, but how could be sure that crimp is ok ? It not seems to be tightened with a good strong deformation.

I ask the question because if it was on my car, I will see with time. But on my plane, even if I have two battery, (with one small wired with standard small temrinal) I don't want to try tings.

Thank you in advance to sharing you experience on this subject.

Good flight.
Mickaël Wink


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JOHN TIPTON



Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Posts: 239
Location: Torquay - England

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

For the price you can't beat this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tube-Terminals-Lugs-Battery-Cable-Wire-Crimping-Force-Hydraulic-Crimper-Tool-Kit-/132282830917?hash=item1eccabd045:g:kp8AAOSwSplZgvnD

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 4 Aug 2017, at 05:51 pm, "Achille" <mickael.t(at)live.fr> wrote:



Hello,

I have a question about crimping 2 AWG wire. I was wiring my plane and it came the time to wire my 2 AWG cable.

For that I bought a crimping tool, this : (Not the best I agree)

http://www.electricianstoolsonline.com/mini-hex-crimper-6mm2-to-50mm2

We can see that is for : 6mm², 10mm², 16mm², 25mm², 35mm², 50mm²
Hexagonal crimp

My cable was a 2 AWG mil spec and my terminal is bought on the same website bandc-aero.

I tried to crimp one with the 25mm2 jaw (for me 2 AWG it's 32mm2 ?), cable looked well maintained but terminal was deformed. With on a side a sharp edge.

So I crimped with the 50mm2, I performed a light traction test it seems to be ok terminal stay on the wire, but how could be sure that crimp is ok ? It not seems to be tightened with a good strong deformation.

I ask the question because if it was on my car, I will see with time. But on my plane, even if I have two battery, (with one small wired with standard small temrinal) I don't want to try tings.

Thank you in advance to sharing you experience on this subject.

Good flight.
Mickaël [Wink]




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471500#471500











- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

You can beat it pretty easily with a small propane torch (already in
your tool box), some rosin core solder, a couple of inches of shrink
tubing, and the knowledge that there's no more risk of fatigue damage
with a properly soldered joint & downstream support, than there is with
a crimped joint.

Wink

On 8/4/2017 12:03 PM, John Tipton wrote:
Quote:


For the price you can't beat this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tube-Terminals-Lugs-Battery-Cable-Wire-Crimping-Force-Hydraulic-Crimper-Tool-Kit-/132282830917?hash=item1eccabd045:g:kp8AAOSwSplZgvnD

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

> On 4 Aug 2017, at 05:51 pm, "Achille" <mickael.t(at)live.fr> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about crimping 2 AWG wire. I was wiring my plane and it came the time to wire my 2 AWG cable.
>
> For that I bought a crimping tool, this : (Not the best I agree)
>
> http://www.electricianstoolsonline.com/mini-hex-crimper-6mm2-to-50mm2
>
> We can see that is for : 6mm², 10mm², 16mm², 25mm², 35mm², 50mm²
> Hexagonal crimp
>
> My cable was a 2 AWG mil spec and my terminal is bought on the same website bandc-aero.
>
> I tried to crimp one with the 25mm2 jaw (for me 2 AWG it's 32mm2 ?), cable looked well maintained but terminal was deformed. With on a side a sharp edge.
>
> So I crimped with the 50mm2, I performed a light traction test it seems to be ok terminal stay on the wire, but how could be sure that crimp is ok ? It not seems to be tightened with a good strong deformation.
>
> I ask the question because if it was on my car, I will see with time. But on my plane, even if I have two battery, (with one small wired with standard small temrinal) I don't want to try tings.
>
> Thank you in advance to sharing you experience on this subject.
>
> Good flight.
> Mickaël [Wink]


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
kjashton(at)vnet.net
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

I have crimped them similar to this method but I used a piece of steel with a half-hole for the anvil
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/printer_friendly_posts.asp?FID=4&TID=8298

Or do a google images search for “crimp large cables” and you’ll see lots of crimpers

If you have a welding supplier nearby, they can crimp those large cables. Welding cable is often used in battery runs. Very tough and flexible.

-Kent
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Achille <mickael.t(at)live.fr> wrote:



Hello,

I have a question about crimping 2 AWG wire. I was wiring my plane and it came the time to wire my 2 AWG cable.

For that I bought a crimping tool, this : (Not the best I agree)

http://www.electricianstoolsonline.com/mini-hex-crimper-6mm2-to-50mm2

We can see that is for : 6mm², 10mm², 16mm², 25mm², 35mm², 50mm²
Hexagonal crimp

My cable was a 2 AWG mil spec and my terminal is bought on the same website bandc-aero.

I tried to crimp one with the 25mm2 jaw (for me 2 AWG it's 32mm2 ?), cable looked well maintained but terminal was deformed. With on a side a sharp edge.

So I crimped with the 50mm2, I performed a light traction test it seems to be ok terminal stay on the wire, but how could be sure that crimp is ok ? It not seems to be tightened with a good strong deformation.

I ask the question because if it was on my car, I will see with time. But on my plane, even if I have two battery, (with one small wired with standard small temrinal) I don't want to try tings.

Thank you in advance to sharing you experience on this subject.

Good flight.
Mickaël [Wink]




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471500#471500











- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Robert Reed



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 293
Location: Dallas/Ft.Worth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Found similar at Harbor Freight an it works great.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Kent or Jackie Ashton <kjashton(at)vnet.net> wrote:



I have crimped them similar to this method but I used a piece of steel with a half-hole for the anvil
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/printer_friendly_posts.asp?FID=4&TID=8298

Or do a google images search for “crimp large cables” and you’ll see lots of crimpers

If you have a welding supplier nearby, they can crimp those large cables. Welding cable is often used in battery runs. Very tough and flexible.

-Kent
> On Aug 4, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Achille <mickael.t(at)live.fr> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about crimping 2 AWG wire. I was wiring my plane and it came the time to wire my 2 AWG cable.
>
> For that I bought a crimping tool, this : (Not the best I agree)
>
> http://www.electricianstoolsonline.com/mini-hex-crimper-6mm2-to-50mm2
>
> We can see that is for : 6mm², 10mm², 16mm², 25mm², 35mm², 50mm²
> Hexagonal crimp
>
> My cable was a 2 AWG mil spec and my terminal is bought on the same website bandc-aero.
>
> I tried to crimp one with the 25mm2 jaw (for me 2 AWG it's 32mm2 ?), cable looked well maintained but terminal was deformed. With on a side a sharp edge.
>
> So I crimped with the 50mm2, I performed a light traction test it seems to be ok terminal stay on the wire, but how could be sure that crimp is ok ? It not seems to be tightened with a good strong deformation.
>
> I ask the question because if it was on my car, I will see with time. But on my plane, even if I have two battery, (with one small wired with standard small temrinal) I don't want to try tings.
>
> Thank you in advance to sharing you experience on this subject.
>
> Good flight.
> Mickaël [Wink]
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471500#471500
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>







- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
wesk



Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Location: Northwestern WI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Before you decide on which wisdom (solder vs crimp terminals) to follow, try to do your own research. Most industry standards and federal guidance lean towards crimp connections for vibration prone applications in aircraft. They seem to show a preference for solder joints only on the lighter weight terminals found on circuit boards and etc.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
rv8iator(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Hydraulic Crimp tool... I have used this tool with great results on AWG 2 and smaller cable.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=crimp+tool
Chris Stone
RV-8
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM, wesk <wsknettl(at)centurytel.net (wsknettl(at)centurytel.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "wesk" <wsknettl(at)centurytel.net (wsknettl(at)centurytel.net)>

Before you decide on which wisdom (solder vs crimp terminals) to follow, try to do your own research. Most industry standards and federal guidance lean towards crimp connections for vibration prone applications in aircraft. They seem to show a preference for solder joints only on the lighter weight terminals found on circuit boards and etc.




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471538#471538






====================================
-
Electric-List" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
====================================
FORUMS -
_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
WIKI -
lank" rel="noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com
====================================
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================





- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

I think that if you do your research, that preference for crimps has more to do with unskilled labor, quick training time, and quicker operations in a production environment. Crimping is without a doubt, much faster than solder, even if you have the skillset to do good soldering. Problem is, purchasing expensive tools for basically 'one-off' jobs. If you've got access to a press, or even a good shop vice, you could do this...

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Christopher Cee Stone <rv8iator(at)gmail.com (rv8iator(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hydraulic Crimp tool... I have used this tool with great results on AWG 2 and smaller cable.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=crimp+tool
Chris Stone
RV-8
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM, wesk <wsknettl(at)centurytel.net (wsknettl(at)centurytel.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "wesk" <wsknettl(at)centurytel.net (wsknettl(at)centurytel.net)>

Before you decide on which wisdom (solder vs crimp terminals) to follow, try to do your own research. Most industry standards and federal guidance lean towards crimp connections for vibration prone applications in aircraft. They seem to show a preference for solder joints only on the lighter weight terminals found on circuit boards and etc.




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=471538#471538






===========
-
Electric-List" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
lank" rel="noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========






- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List



large_cable_crimp_action_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.16 KB
 Viewed:  3941 Time(s)

large_cable_crimp_action_(Medium).jpg



large_cable_crimp_dressed_(Medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.33 KB
 Viewed:  3941 Time(s)

large_cable_crimp_dressed_(Medium).jpg


Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

At 11:04 AM 8/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
I think that if you do your research, that preference for crimps has more to do with unskilled labor, quick training time, and quicker operations in a production environment. Crimping is without a doubt, much faster than solder, even if you have the skillset to do good soldering. Problem is, purchasing expensive tools for basically 'one-off' jobs. If you've got access to a press, or even a good shop vice, you could do this...

I bought one of these Harbor Freight
tools a few years back . . . lots of
capability for the bux. Took it back
a couple weeks later . . .



[img]cid:.0[/img]

It seems that the designers for this
tool had a poor knowledge of the die
openings appropriate to installation
of terminals on wire.




[img]cid:.1[/img]
As you can see in this excerpt, the die set
is labeled "0 AWG" . . . when in fact, the
hex opening in the closed jaws MIGHT just admit
the stranding on 2AWG wire and it's certainly
way too small to accommodate the terminal
appropriate to a 0AWG wire.

I took some wire and terminals along with me
to show the manager . . . he didn't quibble
about giving me store credit for the return.
Sadly, this latest illustration pulled from
the website suggest that nothing has been
'fixed' with the sizing of this products
die-sets.

While this tool has the mechanical 'oomph'
needed to apply large terminals to fat wires,
the die-sets suggest capabilities not
realized.

In the years since this article was published

http://tinyurl.com/ct36xen

I have installed dozens of terminals on fat wires.
Although I do have access to some pretty capable
crimp tools, I've found that the convenience
and economics of this technique are very attractive.





Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List



93bcbd6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.29 KB
 Viewed:  3929 Time(s)

93bcbd6.jpg



93bcc24.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.05 KB
 Viewed:  3929 Time(s)

93bcc24.jpg


Back to top
Robert Reed



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 293
Location: Dallas/Ft.Worth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Bob,
While I totally agree with you regarding the indicated sizing of the dies, I made a few test crimps using the dies supplied and was able to find the appropriate die for each of the fat wires and connectorsI was using. Did not require the 0AWG in my application so the die sets were sufficient and the crimps have proven to be more than adequate, especially for the limited amount of crimps I needed.


Bob Reed

From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 10:55 AM
Subject: Re: Re: 2 AWG crimping tool


At 11:04 AM 8/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
I think that if you do your research, that preference for crimps has more to do with unskilled labor, quick training time, and quicker operations in a production environment. Crimping is without a doubt, much faster than solder, even if you have the skillset to do good soldering. Problem is, purchasing expensive tools for basically 'one-off' jobs. If you've got access to a press, or even a good shop vice, you could do this...

I bought one of these Harbor Freight
tools a few years back . . . lots of
capability for the bux. Took it back
a couple weeks later . . .



[img]cid:.0[/img]

It seems that the designers for this
tool had a poor knowledge of the die
openings appropriate to installation
of terminals on wire.




[img]cid:.1[/img]
As you can see in this excerpt, the die set
is labeled "0 AWG" . . . when in fact, the
hex opening in the closed jaws MIGHT just admit
the stranding on 2AWG wire and it's certainly
way too small to accommodate the terminal
appropriate to a 0AWG wire.

I took some wire and terminals along with me
to show the manager . . . he didn't quibble
about giving me store credit for the return.
Sadly, this latest illustration pulled from
the website suggest that nothing has been
'fixed' with the sizing of this products
die-sets.

While this tool has the mechanical 'oomph'
needed to apply large terminals to fat wires,
the die-sets suggest capabilities not
realized.

In the years since this article was published

http://tinyurl.com/ct36xen

I have installed dozens of terminals on fat wires.
Although I do have access to some pretty capable
crimp tools, I've found that the convenience
and economics of this technique are very attractive.




Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List



93bcbd6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.29 KB
 Viewed:  3928 Time(s)

93bcbd6.jpg



93bcc24.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.05 KB
 Viewed:  3928 Time(s)

93bcc24.jpg


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
rlborger(at)mac.com
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Yes, I have one of those tools from Harbor Freight. I accepted the fact that the die markings are some fellows fantasy and simply select a die of a suitable size to crimp whatever terminal/wire combination I’m using. It does a great job of crimping fat wires up to #2. I’ve never tried to do anything larger so I can’t speak to them.
Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
At 11:04 AM 8/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
I think that if you do your research, that preference for crimps has more to do with unskilled labor, quick training time, and quicker operations in a production environment. Crimping is without a doubt, much faster than solder, even if you have the skillset to do good soldering. Problem is, purchasing expensive tools for basically 'one-off' jobs. If you've got access to a press, or even a good shop vice, you could do this...
I bought one of these Harbor Freight tools a few years back . . . lots of capability for the bux. Took it back a couple weeks later . . . <93bcbd6.jpg> It seems that the designers for this tool had a poor knowledge of the die openings appropriate to installation of terminals on wire. <93bcc24.jpg> As you can see in this excerpt, the die set is labeled "0 AWG" . . . when in fact, the hex opening in the closed jaws MIGHT just admit the stranding on 2AWG wire and it's certainly way too small to accommodate the terminal appropriate to a 0AWG wire. I took some wire and terminals along with me to show the manager . . . he didn't quibble about giving me store credit for the return. Sadly, this latest illustration pulled from the website suggest that nothing has been 'fixed' with the sizing of this products die-sets. While this tool has the mechanical 'oomph' needed to apply large terminals to fat wires, the die-sets suggest capabilities not realized. In the years since this article was published http://tinyurl.com/ct36xen I have installed dozens of terminals on fat wires. Although I do have access to some pretty capable crimp tools, I've found that the convenience and economics of this technique are very attractive.
Bob . . .



- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
JOHN TIPTON



Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Posts: 239
Location: Torquay - England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

Are you saying the only problem is the jaw size (in AWG) are incorrect, mine has the measurements in 'sq mm' I do my own calculations
John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----
On 8 Aug 2017, at 04:54 pm, "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 11:04 AM 8/7/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
I think that if you do your research, that preference for crimps has more to do with unskilled labor, quick training time, and quicker operations in a production environment. Crimping is without a doubt, much faster than solder, even if you have the skillset to do good soldering. Problem is, purchasing expensive tools for basically 'one-off' jobs. If you've got access to a press, or even a good shop vice, you could do this...

I bought one of these Harbor Freight
tools a few years back . . . lots of
capability for the bux. Took it back
a couple weeks later . . .



<93bcbd6.jpg>

It seems that the designers for this
tool had a poor knowledge of the die
openings appropriate to installation
of terminals on wire.




<93bcc24.jpg>
As you can see in this excerpt, the die set
is labeled "0 AWG" . . . when in fact, the
hex opening in the closed jaws MIGHT just admit
the stranding on 2AWG wire and it's certainly
way too small to accommodate the terminal
appropriate to a 0AWG wire.

I took some wire and terminals along with me
to show the manager . . . he didn't quibble
about giving me store credit for the return.
Sadly, this latest illustration pulled from
the website suggest that nothing has been
'fixed' with the sizing of this products
die-sets.

While this tool has the mechanical 'oomph'
needed to apply large terminals to fat wires,
the die-sets suggest capabilities not
realized.

In the years since this article was published

http://tinyurl.com/ct36xen

I have installed dozens of terminals on fat wires.
Although I do have access to some pretty capable
crimp tools, I've found that the convenience
and economics of this technique are very attractive.





Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: 2 AWG crimping tool Reply with quote

At 12:36 PM 8/8/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying the only problem is the jaw size (in AWG) are incorrect, mine has the measurements in 'sq mm' I do my own calculations

John

Yeah, the largest die set with the one I bought
would do 4AWG but nothing larger. It had some
smaller dies that would probably have worked down
to 10AWG . . . but I didn't need a hydraulic crimper
for wires that small.

I considered modeling the dies and cutting larger
versions on the CNC mill . . . but I didn't
need it THAT bad. The since then I've put
terminals on 2AWG wires with one of these
guys!

http://tinyurl.com/yakycxtn

It took several minutes to get it up to temperature
but the ol' 63/37 solder flowed right into the
joint.




Bob . . .


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group