Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit Reply with quote

At 11:16 AM 3/27/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

Hesitate to display my ignorance but with the schematic you drew won't the ASX-1 draw power from the higher voltage source, the batteries, until they are depleted to below the E-bus voltage? Won't replacing the diodes and SPST switch with a SPDT (even an on - off - on) with the center contact going to the ASX-1 solve the issue and provide the same functionality?

Tom Kuffel

Nothing ignorant about your observation my friend . . . good
eye! Your suggestion eliminates the conflict you noted.
Here's another alternative. The diodes prevent back-feeding
of either source to the opposite source. The switch
isolates the standby batteries.

Preflight would be modified to close the sb battery
switch first to see that the ASX-1 lights up. Then
turn it back off for remainder of that flight op.

Thanks for the catch!

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20170327161256.0099e920(at)aeroelectric.com.0[/img]

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

12a74d7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.71 KB
 Viewed:  2384 Time(s)

12a74d7.jpg

BobD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit Reply with quote

Just as a follow up to the various posts on this and similar threads, here is the schematic of the final wiring diagram I settled on.
The switch used incorporates a warning light when the Battery Backup is activated. There are probably cheaper ones than that quoted (but I had a few spares from my old panel, so no cost to me). The Battery Holder is cheap, and fitted into a blank on my panel I had made for a potential Dynon AP at a later date.
Obviously, it does not provide a rechargeable option, but I took on board Bob's calculations that if not used in anger, the batteries should be good for 12 months, so test as part of pre-flight checklist, and replace batteries at Annual.
It is offered here with absolutely no warranty whatsoever, i.e. use at your own risk.
I have yet to have the unit approved by the UK LAA.
Thanks to all those who contributed to the thread.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

bbu.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bbu.pdf
 Filesize:  28.42 KB
 Downloaded:  338 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: