Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 912 oil analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul.r.kuntz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 oil analysis Reply with quote

People,
I'd be interested in your thoughts on oil analysis trends for my Rotax 912 UL.  The engine has been operating for four years, with 410 Hobbs hours to date.  The aircraft is a Pipistrel Sinus motorglider with a Pipistrel controllable pitch and feathering propeller.  Most of the time I use ethanol-free mogas, but avgas on occasion.  I have been changing oil and filter at roughly 50 hour intervals, and began sending oil samples in for analysis at 285 hours.  I'm using AeroShell Sport Plus 4 oil and Rotax oil filters.  I'm using Aviation Laboratories (AvLab) for this service.
The iron content values are of some concern.  AvLab reports metal content in parts per million, with values for my engine accompanied by what they say are average values for the same engine model with similar operating hours.  For my engine, the iron content over the 125 hours since I began sending in samples has risen from 51 to 76 to 117 ppm, versus average iron values for this engine model of 21 to 27 ppm.  I always check the magnetic plug and the oil filter element at each oil change, and have never detected any metal on either the magnetic plug or in the filter element. 
The other metal components AvLab measures (copper, nickel, chromium, aluminum, lead, silicon and tin) are either below or only somewhat elevated from their corresponding average values.  The elevated values are for nickel, silicon and chromium, although they are well below the five times above average value for iron in the latest sample.
What are your thoughts?  Should I be concerned?
Regards,
Paul Kuntz

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 oil analysis Reply with quote

Paul,
I too have been doing oil analysis every 50 hrs. I have 450 hrs on my engine. I have roughly 6-7 reports and the values go up and down so don't put too much in one report. I will tell you though the silicone is dirt,so be clean when you collect the sample. It takes very little to register that value.
  Dick Maddux
  912 UL

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912 oil analysis Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

First I would recommend to stop throwing those Flintstones multivitamins in the tank each fuel up. LOL couldn't resist. Smile
As mentioned above values can change and go up and down. If it stays that high or continues to climb in ppm then it may be a time to look at the gearbox. This can be some components in the gearbox wearing a little more. So long as you don't see any issues on the magnetic plug and the gearbox friction torque is good then I wouldn't worry. Usually I recommend to start at 400 hours, but starting whenever you want is good. You do not need to do this every oil change or 50 hours. Do it at an annual or after 2-3 oil changes depending on fuel type. Values will change.

If you are uncomfortable with this new value do another change at 25-50 hrs.

You should also be catching the sample midway through an oil drain. Too much heavy crud sits on the bottom and all the light stuff floats more towards the top.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
paul.r.kuntz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 oil analysis Reply with quote

I tried to post this previously, but I'm not sure it appeared on the list.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on oil analysis trends for my Rotax 912 UL.  The engine has been operating for four years, with 410 Hobbs hours to date.  The aircraft is a Pipistrel Sinus motorglider with a Pipistrel controllable pitch and feathering propeller.  Most of the time I use ethanol-free mogas, but avgas on occasion.  I have been changing oil and filter at roughly 50 hour intervals, and began sending oil samples in for analysis at 285 hours.  I'm using AeroShell Sport Plus 4 oil and Rotax oil filters.  I'm using Aviation Laboratories (AvLab) for this service.
The iron content values are of some concern.  AvLab reports metal content in parts per million, with values for my engine accompanied by what they say are average values for the same engine model with similar operating hours.  For my engine, the iron content over the 125 hours since I began sending in samples has risen from 51 to 76 to 117 ppm, versus average iron values for this engine model of 21 to 27 ppm.  I always check the magnetic plug and the oil filter element at each oil change, and have never detected any metal on either the magnetic plug or in the filter element. 
The other metal components AvLab measures (copper, nickel, chromium, aluminum, lead, silicon and tin) are either below or only somewhat elevated from their corresponding average values.  The elevated values are for nickel, silicon and chromium, although they are well below the five times above average value for iron in the latest sample.
What are your thoughts?  Should I be concerned?
Regards,
Paul Kuntz

rampil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912 oil analysis Reply with quote

Oil analysis in Rotax engines is difficult to assess since Rotax
refuses to provide either normative data or metallurgical content data
for components to use for diagnosis should a particular ion spike.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: