Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any 601 builders in the Fort Worth, TX AND Austin, TX areas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark(at)macomb.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Any 601 builders in the Fort Worth, TX AND Austin, TX areas Reply with quote

John,

Being a quick build, I'm not sure of the status of the spars and wings.
Our wings were finished and taking it all apart really set us back. The
center section will have to be drilled out and re-riveted. That might
mean removing it from the fuselage. Find a buddy that has experience
with drilling out and bucking large rivets if you've never done it.
There is a learning curve to this riveting business. You'll need a 4x
gun and hefty bucking bar. The mod kit came with extra rivets and we
used every one! I'm a non-practicing A&P and have been involved in 3
build projects and a restoration.

I'm in Illinois so I can't help by showing an example. Mexico, MO is
about 100 miles away. The 601 is a neat plane but the build
instructions leave a lot to be desired.

My suggestion is to build the plane you want to fly.

Mark
On 06/19/2017 10:05 PM, Bubblehead wrote:
Quote:

I am buying a hanger west of Austin, TX. It is an estate sale and includes an un-started 2008 bought 601XL quickbuild kit with all options. I have read up on the wing and main spar modification. I want to build a plane but a bush plane not a 601-type plane, and with the added work of the modification it does not make sense to me to build the kit. I would be better off selling the kit and putting the money and my energy into the bush plane I really want.

I currently own and fly an RV-8 that I bought already licensed and flying but want to build the bush plane for retirement planned for 4 years from now.

If there is someone who has built or is building a 601XL I'd like to come see your 601XL to learn more about the kit and modification and to help me decide to either sell the kit or build it.

Thanks,

John Dalman 512-850-8339 North Richland Hills, TX

--------
John
Keller, TX
RV-8 N247TD

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470252#470252

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
benson.barry(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Any 601 builders in the Fort Worth, TX AND Austin, TX areas Reply with quote

I have a SLSA  601XLB built by AMD.  I have no experience with building, but I can tell you that the 601XLB is an excellent airplane.  The mod has corrected the problems with earlier airplanes.The airplane handles well and is well equipped with a parachute, Garmin 430 W, Garmin SL 40, Garmin 340  audio panel, and Tru Trac auto pilot.  A King KLR 10 angle of attack system is being installed next week.  A fine airplane with everything needed.  However, it is not a bush plane.

BB
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Paul Rodriguez <paulrod36(at)msn.com (paulrod36(at)msn.com)> wrote:
Quote:

John, was it me, I’d sell the 601 kit, it’s just not intended as a bush plane. I would argue with Mark, however, in that the 601 HAS a building manual, which, when I was building a 601, I found to be pretty good.  As you got further into it, it assumed you knew stuff that, maybe, you didn’t know, but it wasn’t too difficult.

On the whole, Zenith does build a pretty simple plane, though, and you might want to look at their 701, 750 STOL, and 750 Cruzer. All of those have bush capability, in varying degrees. Be aware, though that the 750, in which I’m now involved, leaves a lot to be desired in the way of instructions.  There is no manual per se; (or maybe I just missed it) you get pretty good blueprints, and are referred to videos on their site (some of which are for the 701) to figure it out. Most helpful would at least be a suggested list of sequential operations. Their customer service is real good, though, and they will answer any question you have.  It’s just that I really hate de-riveting something.

But, that’s just part of the game. Call it tuition. What you learn, and the fun of building and flying it make the journey as much fun as the destination.

Paul Rodriguez
750 Cruzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 10:39 PM
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com (zenith601-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Any 601 builders in the Fort Worth, TX AND Austin, TX areas?

--> Zenith601-List message posted by: Mark Grieve <mark(at)macomb.com (mark(at)macomb.com)>

John,

Being a quick build, I'm not sure of the status of the spars and wings.
Our wings were finished and taking it all apart really set us back.  The
center section  will have to be drilled out and re-riveted. That might
mean removing it from the fuselage. Find a buddy that has experience
with drilling out and bucking large rivets if you've never done it. 
There is a learning curve to this riveting business.  You'll need a 4x
gun and hefty bucking bar. The mod kit came with extra rivets and we
used every one! I'm a non-practicing A&P and have been involved in 3
build projects and a restoration.

I'm in Illinois so I can't help by showing an example.  Mexico, MO is
about 100 miles away.   The 601 is a neat plane but the build
instructions leave a lot to be desired.

My suggestion is to build the plane you want to fly.

Mark

On 06/19/2017 10:05 PM, Bubblehead wrote:
> --> Zenith601-List message posted by: "Bubblehead" <jdalmansr(at)gmail.com (jdalmansr(at)gmail.com)>
>
> I am buying a hanger west of Austin, TX.  It is an estate sale and includes an un-started 2008 bought 601XL quickbuild kit with all options.  I have read up on the wing and main spar modification. I want to build a plane but a bush plane not a 601-type plane, and with the added work of the modification it does not make sense to me to build the kit. I would be better off selling the kit and putting the money and my energy into the bush plane I really want.
>
> I currently own and fly an RV-8 that I bought already licensed and flying but want to build the bush plane for retirement planned for 4 years from now.
>
> If there is someone who has built or is building a 601XL I'd like to come see your 601XL to learn more about the kit and modification and to help me decide to either sell the kit or build it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Dalman [url=tel:(512)%20850-8339]512-850-8339[/url] North Richland Hills, TX
>
> --------
> John
> Keller, TX
> RV-8 N247TD
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=470252#470252
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

===========
-List Email Forum -
th601-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
===========
p;   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p;  - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;                  -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bubblehead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any 601 builders in the Fort Worth, TX AND Austin, TX a Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded. All the information is appreciated. I was able to get a good look at a finished 601 at Hicks Airfield in Fort Worth. It is a beautiful plane but I really want to build a bush plane not a cruiser like the 601. I will be posting it for sale soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: