Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Attach bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Wing Attach bolts Reply with quote

Thanks Clive,

I'll check it out.

Haven't been there in a while.

bobby

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Wing Attach Bolts Reply with quote

Paul,

The nuts have not backed off.

I had the paint dobs to make sure that they did not move.

I don't know what is happening except maybe the metal is bending.

Thanks for your input.

Bobby

Do Not Archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Wing Attach Bolts Reply with quote

Bobby,
Double Check the torque values for that bolts... Just in case...

Gary

From: "BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net" <BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net>
To: Zenith List <zenith601-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:43 PM
Subject: Wing Attach Bolts

Paul,

Thanks for your input.

Bobby

Do Not Archive

bryanmaxmartin(at)yahoo.c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Wing Attach Bolts Reply with quote

One possible guess — The bolts should be a tight fit in the holes. On mine, I had to drive the bolts in with light taps with a hammer. If the bolts fit too easily in the holes, there could be a small amount of motion at the joint. This motion could cause the washers to wear into the spar surfaces slightly. That would result in a slight loss of tension load in the bolt and the apparent loss of torque. --
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus re-drive.
do not archive.

Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, at 8:30 PM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net) wrote:
Paul,
Thanks for your input.
Bobby

Do Not Archive

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Wing attach bolts Reply with quote

Brian

Thanks for the reply.

My bolts were very tight. I had to make a short bullet shaped bolt with no head to push thru before the threaded bolt would go.

I lined up all the holes with temporary bullet shaped bolts and replaced them one at a time with no weight on the wing.

Bobby

rsteele(at)rjsit.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Wing attach bolts Reply with quote

Is it possible that you over torqued the bolts? It would have to be a pretty large over torque, so it’s hard to think it’s really the cause, but if they are over torqued just enough the bolt could “relax” and loosen just a bit. This is an intrinsic failure mode of steel and one of the things that makes it more forgiving to work with than aluminum. To be safe, I’d replace all the bolts and check the calibration of the torque wrench when replacing.
If you ever find the cause, I’m sure many of use would like to know what happened.

Ron
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, at 8:42 AM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net (BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net) wrote:
Brian
Thanks for the reply.
My bolts were very tight. I had to make a short bullet shaped bolt with no head to push thru before the threaded bolt would go.
I lined up all the holes with temporary bullet shaped bolts and replaced them one at a time with no weight on the wing.

Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Wing Attach Bolts Reply with quote

Ron,

Even if the torque wrench was out of calibration it would have been very hard to over torque such a large bolt to the point of stretching it. That would probably have crushed some aluminum.

Also it would have been very obvious that it was way too much torque for a bolt in shear.

Thanks for your input. I guess no one else has had this happen.

It was the last bolt I checked and none of the rest moved at all.

Bobby

mhubel

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Wing attach bolts Reply with quote

One other thing to consider which is often a reason bolts "lose torque" is that there was some contamination between the pieces of aluminum when the bolts were first torqued. Then over time the contamination changes character and things have to be tightened again. Even a fraction of a thousands of dirt (hard to see) can cause trouble. A .001 inch change results in about 10 degrees of rotation.

On 4/28/2017 8:57 AM, Ronald Steele wrote:

Quote:
Is it possible that you over torqued the bolts?  It would have to be a pretty large over torque, so it’s hard to think it’s really the cause, but if they are over torqued just enough the bolt could “relax” and loosen just a bit.  This is an intrinsic failure mode of steel and one of the things that makes it more forgiving to work with than aluminum.  To be safe, I’d replace all the bolts and check the calibration of the torque wrench when replacing.
If you ever find the cause, I’m sure many of use would like to know what happened.

Ron

--
Mark Hubelbank
mhubel(at)nemon.com (mhubel(at)nemon.com)
Ch601XL-B Honda/Viking engine
Warp drive prop
708HU Electronic Control Unit.
www.n708hu.com
725 Hours airframe
360 Hours engine.

Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Wing attach bolts Reply with quote

Mark,

I am hoping it may have gotten a speck of sand or an aluminum chip and finally worked itself flat or out of the way.

I had to take the wings off in 2015 and re-install them so that may be what happened. This is the second "conditional" since then.

I just flew it today. Test flight after the Conditional. Everything went well.

Bobby ( age 79 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 290 Plus .002 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 275 hrs. since 2007
Do Not Archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: