Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twisted Yak 52 Airframe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

Mark,

You peaked my interest in twisted airframes. I have contacted a few Yak folks and the common answer, spoke to how aircraft are set up during assembly, rather than a twist. Of course anything is possible, but twisting a Yak airframe would take serious abuse, and most likely over G. The Yaks only have 4 deg of dihedral and are neutrally stable for aerobatic purposes so it does not take much to change from stabile flight to a slight roll one way or the other. I talked with Yak owner who is an aeronautical engineer and his suggestion for my plane is to cover the lighting holes behind the right aileron first. This plane flew mostly hands off when I got it but it changed. The fabric covering the lightning holes came off which may be causing drag on the right wing from turbulence. My aircraft was not an aerobatic club plane, it was Romanian Military which I was told is a better or less aggressive service for the Yaks.

Do you by chance know what actually twists on the Yak airframe? Measurements may be the answer to find a twist.

Regards,

Phil

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

markdavis(at)wbsnet.org

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

I don't know if you can twist a YAK52 airframe without running over it with a Russian tractor, mine has more rivets on it than the USS Missouri.   I've been told two things about YAK 52 airframes, but I can't verify their accuracy.  One, there has never been an inflight failure of a YAK 52 airframe.  Two, that the Soviets/Russians design their aircraft such that airframe failure shouldn't occur before twice the G limit of the aircraft vs. 1.5 times the G limit for U.S. certified aircraft.  Therefore, even a +5/-3 airframe wouldn't fail before +10 g's, most will stall long before that or the pilot will be GLOC'd and not know the difference.  Early in their history the YAK Design Bureau obviously saw an issue with the airframes and performed the modification to raise the limits to +7/-5 g's.   There are others who watch this list who may chime in the specifics.

You may be onto something if one aileron has the fabric holes uncovered, but any drag would more likely be fixed by tweaking the rudder trim tab and putting the ball in the center.  Any airflow disruption would more likely cause a change in the effectiveness of aileron itself by disturbing the boundary layer.  But, that big chunk of wood on the front of the YAK that the Russians call a V530 propeller creates so much P factor that any change in power settings or RPM noticeably changes roll trim on my YAK.  So I try to trim mine for a typical 70% rpm 125-130 KTAS cruising speed for cross country flights and live with the slightly out of trim one way or the other aileron control pressures the rest of the time.  Otherwise, seek out a cheap electric trim system or do what I do and make my wife take the stick for a few minutes if I'm trying to refold a sectional on a cross country.  I may be the last dinosaur out there without ForeFlight that still keeps a paper sectional in the airplane....and everywhere I go I have to either flip the chart or refold as I go from seam to seam....  : )

Mark Davis
N44YK

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Phillip Salter
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 7:36 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe

Mark,

You peaked my interest in twisted airframes. I have contacted a few Yak folks and the common answer, spoke to how aircraft are set up during assembly, rather than a twist. Of course anything is possible, but twisting a Yak airframe would take serious abuse, and most likely over G. The Yaks only have 4 deg of dihedral and are neutrally stable for aerobatic purposes so it does not take much to change from stabile flight to a slight roll one way or the other. I talked with Yak owner who is an aeronautical engineer and his suggestion for my plane is to cover the lighting holes behind the right aileron first. This plane flew mostly hands off when I got it but it changed. The fabric covering the lightning holes came off which may be causing drag on the right wing from turbulence. My aircraft was not an aerobatic club plane, it was Romanian Military which I was told is a better or less aggressive service for the Yaks.

Do you by chance know what actually twists on the Yak airframe? Measurements may be the answer to find a twist.

Regards,

Phil
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

The Yak 52's wing has 2 degrees dihedral on the bottom of the wing (with
2 wings, I guess that would equal 4 degree Smile)
The first Yak 52's had the +7,-5 rating and were later derated by the
YDB until SB's 59 and 60 were installed.

A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1

On 3/25/2017 10:47 AM, Mark Davis wrote:
[quote]
I don't know if you can twist a YAK52 airframe without running over it
with a Russian tractor, mine has more rivets on it than the USS
Missouri. I've been told two things about YAK 52 airframes, but I
can't verify their accuracy. One, there has never been an inflight
failure of a YAK 52 airframe. Two, that the Soviets/Russians design
their aircraft such that airframe failure shouldn't occur before twice
the G limit of the aircraft vs. 1.5 times the G limit for U.S.
certified aircraft. Therefore, even a +5/-3 airframe wouldn't fail
before +10 g's, most will stall long before that or the pilot will be
GLOC'd and not know the difference. Early in their history the YAK
Design Bureau obviously saw an issue with the airframes and performed
the modification to raise the limits to +7/-5 g's. There are others
who watch this list who may chime in the specifics.

You may be onto something if one aileron has the fabric holes
uncovered, but any drag would more likely be fixed by tweaking the
rudder trim tab and putting the ball in the center. Any airflow
disruption would more likely cause a change in the effectiveness of
aileron itself by disturbing the boundary layer. But, that big chunk
of wood on the front of the YAK that the Russians call a V530
propeller creates so much P factor that any change in power settings
or RPM noticeably changes roll trim on my YAK. So I try to trim mine
for a typical 70% rpm 125-130 KTAS cruising speed for cross country
flights and live with the slightly out of trim one way or the other
aileron control pressures the rest of the time. Otherwise, seek out a
cheap electric trim system or do what I do and make my wife take the
stick for a few minutes if I'm trying to refold a sectional on a cross
country. I may be the last dinosaur out there without ForeFlight that
still keeps a paper sectional in the airplane....and everywhere I go I
have to either flip the chart or refold as I go from seam to seam.... : )

Mark Davis

N44YK

[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Phillip Salter
*Sent:* Saturday, March 25, 2017 7:36 AM
*To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Re: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe

Mark,

You peaked my interest in twisted airframes. I have contacted a few
Yak folks and the common answer, spoke to how aircraft are set up
during assembly, rather than a twist. Of course anything is possible,
but twisting a Yak airframe would take serious abuse, and most likely
over G. The Yaks only have 4 deg of dihedral and are neutrally stable
for aerobatic purposes so it does not take much to change from stabile
flight to a slight roll one way or the other. I talked with Yak owner
who is an aeronautical engineer and his suggestion for my plane is to
cover the lighting holes behind the right aileron first. This plane
flew mostly hands off when I got it but it changed. The fabric
covering the lightning holes came off which may be causing drag on the
right wing from turbulence. My aircraft was not an aerobatic club
plane, it was Romanian Military which I was told is a better or less
aggressive service for the Yaks.

Do you by chance know what actually twists on the Yak airframe?
Measurements may be the answer to find a twist.

Regards,

Phil

--

bwade154(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

One more thing that no one has mentioned is the centering springs on the stick I think you could adjust them so the aircraft would fly straight and level, I took mine out because when I fly the Yak straight and level is the furthest thing on my mind.
Bill Wade N4450Y

From: A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:05 PM

--> Yak-List message posted by: "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

The Yak 52's wing has 2 degrees dihedral on the bottom of the wing (with

2 wings, I guess that would equal 4 degree Smile)

The first Yak 52's had the +7,-5 rating and were later derated by the

YDB until SB's 59 and 60 were installed.

A. Dennis Savarese

334-546-8182 (mobile)

www.yak-52.com

Skype - Yakguy1

On 3/25/2017 10:47 AM, Mark Davis wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
with a Russian tractor, mine has more rivets on it than the USS

Quote:
Missouri.  I've been told two things about YAK 52 airframes, but I

Quote:
can't verify their accuracy. One, there has never been an inflight

Quote:
failure of a YAK 52 airframe. Two, that the Soviets/Russians design

Quote:
their aircraft such that airframe failure shouldn't occur before twice

Quote:
the G limit of the aircraft vs. 1.5 times the G limit for U.S.

Quote:
certified aircraft. Therefore, even a +5/-3 airframe wouldn't fail

Quote:
before +10 g's, most will stall long before that or the pilot will be

Quote:
GLOC'd and not know the difference. Early in their history the YAK

Quote:
Design Bureau obviously saw an issue with the airframes and performed

Quote:
the modification to raise the limits to +7/-5 g's. There are others

Quote:
who watch this list who may chime in the specifics.

Quote:

Quote:
You may be onto something if one aileron has the fabric holes

Quote:
uncovered, but any drag would more likely be fixed by tweaking the

Quote:
rudder trim tab and putting the ball in the center. Any airflow

Quote:
disruption would more likely cause a change in the effectiveness of

Quote:
aileron itself by disturbing the boundary layer. But, that big chunk

Quote:
of wood on the front of the YAK that the Russians call a V530

Quote:
propeller creates so much P factor that any change in power settings

Quote:
or RPM noticeably changes roll trim on my YAK. So I try to trim mine

Quote:
for a typical 70% rpm 125-130 KTAS cruising speed for cross country

Quote:
flights and live with the slightly out of trim one way or the other

Quote:
aileron control pressures the rest of the time. Otherwise, seek out a

Quote:
cheap electric trim system or do what I do and make my wife take the

Quote:
stick for a few minutes if I'm trying to refold a sectional on a cross

Quote:
country. I may be the last dinosaur out there without ForeFlight that

Quote:
still keeps a paper sectional in the airplane....and everywhere I go I

Quote:
have to either flip the chart or refold as I go from seam to seam.... : )

Quote:

Quote:
Mark Davis

Quote:

Quote:
N44YK

Quote:

Quote:
*From:*owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)

Quote:
[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] *On Behalf Of *Phillip Salter

Quote:
*Sent:* Saturday, March 25, 2017 7:36 AM

Quote:
*To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Quote:
*Subject:* Re: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe

Quote:

Quote:
Mark,

Quote:

Quote:
You peaked my interest in twisted airframes. I have contacted a few

Quote:
Yak folks and the common answer, spoke to how aircraft are set up

Quote:
during assembly, rather than a twist. Of course anything is possible,

Quote:
but twisting a Yak airframe would take serious abuse, and most likely

Quote:
over G. The Yaks only have 4 deg of dihedral and are neutrally stable

Quote:
for aerobatic purposes so it does not take much to change from stabile

Quote:
flight to a slight roll one way or the other. I talked with Yak owner

Quote:
who is an aeronautical engineer and his suggestion for my plane is to

Quote:
cover the lighting holes behind the right aileron first. This plane

Quote:
flew mostly hands off when I got it but it changed. The fabric

Quote:
covering the lightning holes came off which may be causing drag on the

Quote:
right wing from turbulence. My aircraft was not an aerobatic club

Quote:
plane, it was Romanian Military which I was told is a better or less

Quote:
aggressive service for the Yaks.

Quote:

Quote:
Do you by chance know what actually twists on the Yak airframe?

Quote:
Measurements may be the answer to find a twist.

Quote:

Quote:
Regards,

Quote:

Quote:
Phil

Quote:

[quote] --

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

Phil,
It's the driver not the YAK that is twisted.
Seriously, no I have not been told my YAK was twisted.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Mar 24, 2017, at 6:29 PM, PS <psalter(at)aol.com> wrote:

Many of the Yaks that came out of Russia after the fall had been twisted by the aerobatics clubs. If you can get it to fly straight and level in cruise, let me know.

I received the above email concerning my Yak. I have been involved and owned Yaks over 17 years, and never heard anyone mention a "twisted" Yak. Is there any validity to this? Being an nearly 0 deg dihedral aircraft, is a Yak 52 ever totally stable? My aircraft flies great but has a slight roll to the right, so minor I never worry about it.

Regards,

Phil

--------
Phil

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=467584#467584

Viperdoc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

Paddles,
You are doing better than me on paper charts. With the canopy cracked I can't keep them in the cockpit.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 25, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Mark Davis <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)> wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I don't know if you can twist a YAK52 airframe without running over it with a Russian tractor, mine has more rivets on it than the USS Missouri. I've been told two things about YAK 52 airframes, but I can't verify their accuracy. One, there has never been an inflight failure of a YAK 52 airframe. Two, that the Soviets/Russians design their aircraft such that airframe failure shouldn't occur before twice the G limit of the aircraft vs. 1.5 times the G limit for U.S. certified aircraft. Therefore, even a +5/-3 airframe wouldn't fail before +10 g's, most will stall long before that or the pilot will be GLOC'd and not know the difference. Early in their history the YAK Design Bureau obviously saw an issue with the airframes and performed the modification to raise the limits to +7/-5 g's. There are others who watch this list who may chime in the specifics.

You may be onto something if one aileron has the fabric holes uncovered, but any drag would more likely be fixed by tweaking the rudder trim tab and putting the ball in the center. Any airflow disruption would more likely cause a change in the effectiveness of aileron itself by disturbing the boundary layer. But, that big chunk of wood on the front of the YAK that the Russians call a V530 propeller creates so much P factor that any change in power settings or RPM noticeably changes roll trim on my YAK. So I try to trim mine for a typical 70% rpm 125-130 KTAS cruising speed for cross country flights and live with the slightly out of trim one way or the other aileron control pressures the rest of the time.  Otherwise, seek out a cheap electric trim system or do what I do and make my wife take the stick for a few minutes if I'm trying to refold a sectional on a cross country. I may be the last dinosaur out there without ForeFlight that still keeps a paper sectional in the airplane....and everywhere I go I have to either flip the chart or refold as I go from seam to seam... : )

Mark Davis
N44YK

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Phillip Salter
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 7:36 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Mark,

Regards,

Phil
--

Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

Pull 10g in the other direction. It will probably twist back. All good.Tape the charts to the windshield; keeps the sun out and they don’t blow away as often. Slide the chart into the crack.

OR buy a CJ. They have so many issues that you won’t notice that you’re twisted and flying sideways.

Just a thought.[quote]On Mar 25, 2017, at 18:09, Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com (f16viperdoc(at)me.com)> wrote:
Paddles,
You are doing better than me on paper charts. With the canopy cracked I can't keep them in the cockpit.
DocSent from my iPad
On Mar 25, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Mark Davis <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org (markdavis(at)wbsnet.org)> wrote:
[quote]I don't know if you can twist a YAK52 airframe without running over it with a Russian tractor, mine has more rivets on it than the USS Missouri. I've been told two things about YAK 52 airframes, but I can't verify their accuracy. One, there has never been an inflight failure of a YAK 52 airframe. Two, that the Soviets/Russians design their aircraft such that airframe failure shouldn't occur before twice the G limit of the aircraft vs. 1.5 times the G limit for U.S. certified aircraft. Therefore, even a +5/-3 airframe wouldn't fail before +10 g's, most will stall long before that or the pilot will be GLOC'd and not know the difference. Early in their history the YAK Design Bureau obviously saw an issue with the airframes and performed the modification to raise the limits to +7/-5 g's. There are others who watch this list who may chime in the specifics.

You may be onto something if one aileron has the fabric holes uncovered, but any drag would more likely be fixed by tweaking the rudder trim tab and putting the ball in the center. Any airflow disruption would more likely cause a change in the effectiveness of aileron itself by disturbing the boundary layer. But, that big chunk of wood on the front of the YAK that the Russians call a V530 propeller creates so much P factor that any change in power settings or RPM noticeably changes roll trim on my YAK. So I try to trim mine for a typical 70% rpm 125-130 KTAS cruising speed for cross country flights and live with the slightly out of trim one way or the other aileron control pressures the rest of the time. Otherwise, seek out a cheap electric trim system or do what I do and make my wife take the stick for a few minutes if I'm trying to refold a sectional on a cross country. I may be the last dinosaur out there without ForeFlight that still keeps a paper sectional in the airplane....and everywhere I go I have to either flip the chart or refold as I go from seam to seam.... : )

Mark Davis
N44YK

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Phillip SalterSent: Saturday, March 25, 2017 7:36 AMTo: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe

Mark,

Regards,

Phil
--

marty.jpm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Twisted Yak 52 Airframe Reply with quote

😂😊

Le 26 mars 2017 01:54, "William Geipel" <l129bs(at)gmail.com> a écrit :

[quote] Pull 10g in the other direction. It will probably twist back. All good.
Tape the charts to the windshield; keeps the sun out and they don’t blow
away as often. Slide the chart into the crack.

OR buy a CJ. They have so many issues that you won’t notice that you’re
twisted and flying sideways.

Just a thought.

On Mar 25, 2017, at 18:09, Roger Kemp <f16viperdoc(at)me.com> wrote:

Paddles,
You are doing better than me on paper charts. With the canopy cracked I
can't keep them in the cockpit.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 25, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Mark Davis <markdavis(at)wbsnet.org> wrote:

with a Russian tractor, mine has more rivets on it than the USS Missouri.
I've been told two things about YAK 52 airframes, but I can't verify
their accuracy. One, there has never been an inflight failure of a YAK 52
airframe. Two, that the Soviets/Russians design their aircraft such that
airframe failure shouldn't occur before twice the G limit of the aircraft
vs. 1.5 times the G limit for U.S. certified aircraft. Therefore, even a
+5/-3 airframe wouldn't fail before +10 g's, most will stall long before
that or the pilot will be GLOC'd and not know the difference. Early in
their history the YAK Design Bureau obviously saw an issue with the
airframes and performed the modification to raise the limits to +7/-5 g's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: