Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Housai Winter Ops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Housai Winter Ops Reply with quote

Just close the oil cooler control, that''l bring the scoop up.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Daniel Sallee <danielsallee(at)gmail.com (danielsallee(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I have a CJ-6A with the stock Housai. It's getting colder out, what have other people done to block off the oil cooler? Also what are preferred temps for cruise in the winter?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Clouddog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Housai Winter Ops Reply with quote

If you live in South Florida like Ernie, closing your cooler door may work. If your anywhere North of Gainesville, you will need to learn the tricks. First of all, make sure you have heating pads on your sump, oil tank and oil cooler. When the OAT Temps get below 50 degrees,  plug them in. Next, if you have not already done so install a chicken wire screen (approximately 1/2 inch square  screen wire available at Lowe's or Home depot) in the leading edge oil cooler inlet. You take the housing inlet off on the leading edge and install the screen. Two things, it keeps people from throwing  coke cans down there and a place to place duct tape (read on).  Even by closing the oil cooler door from inside the cockpit you still need to block the air off at the inlet on the leading edge of the wing. There are several ways to mount blocker plates but what I find is a piece of duct tape on the screen you installed works great. It's easy to install, and if it's colder in the morning and it warms up by midday, you simply remove it. You will find you might have to run your engine a little warmer in the winter. A hotter engine means hotter oil. If 170 is mid range normal  in the summer then 190 plus will help warm the oil in the winter  if  blocking the airflow with the tape is not enough. I did not say blocking 100%. You will need to experiment with your aircraft and the current OAT. I use about a 4 inch long  piece to start.  On colder days I may block it off even more. Remember on decent don't pull you throttle to idle. You may need to close down you Gill shutters to keep your cylinder head temps in the green and not cool shock the engine thus cracking a cylinder. Keeping your engine and oil temps in their proper range can be challenging in the summer but I believe even more so in the winter. With the right amount of balance between throttle, gills, cylinder head temp, oil cooler door and blocking off airflow at the inlet on the wing. If anyone ever designs a good after market kit that you can block the airflow at the intake and control it from the cockpit, I believe he or she will have some extra cash in their bank account. Good luck.
On Oct 19, 2016 8:31 AM, "Ernest Martinez" <erniel29(at)gmail.com (erniel29(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Daniel Sallee <danielsallee(at)gmail.com (danielsallee(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I have a CJ-6A with the stock Housai. It's getting colder out, what have other people done to block off the oil cooler? Also what are preferred temps for cruise in the winter?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Housai Winter Ops Reply with quote

Or you can install a winterization kit as in the attached photo.I think I may still have some fitted cowl blankets also.
Doug
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Greg Wrobel <clouddog22(at)gmail.com (clouddog22(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

If you live in South Florida like Ernie, closing your cooler door may work. If your anywhere North of Gainesville, you will need to learn the tricks. First of all, make sure you have heating pads on your sump, oil tank and oil cooler. When the OAT Temps get below 50 degrees,  plug them in. Next, if you have not already done so install a chicken wire screen (approximately 1/2 inch square  screen wire available at Lowe's or Home depot) in the leading edge oil cooler inlet. You take the housing inlet off on the leading edge and install the screen. Two things, it keeps people from throwing  coke cans down there and a place to place duct tape (read on).  Even by closing the oil cooler door from inside the cockpit you still need to block the air off at the inlet on the leading edge of the wing. There are several ways to mount blocker plates but what I find is a piece of duct tape on the screen you installed works great. It's easy to install, and if it's colder in the morning and it warms up by midday, you simply remove it. You will find you might have to run your engine a little warmer in the winter. A hotter engine means hotter oil. If 170 is mid range normal  in the summer then 190 plus will help warm the oil in the winter  if  blocking the airflow with the tape is not enough. I did not say blocking 100%. You will need to experiment with your aircraft and the current OAT. I use about a 4 inch long  piece to start.  On colder days I may block it off even more. Remember on decent don't pull you throttle to idle. You may need to close down you Gill shutters to keep your cylinder head temps in the green and not cool shock the engine thus cracking a cylinder. Keeping your engine and oil temps in their proper range can be challenging in the summer but I believe even more so in the winter. With the right amount of balance between throttle, gills, cylinder head temp, oil cooler door and blocking off airflow at the inlet on the wing. If anyone ever designs a good after market kit that you can block the airflow at the intake and control it from the cockpit, I believe he or she will have some extra cash in their bank account. Good luck.
On Oct 19, 2016 8:31 AM, "Ernest Martinez" <erniel29(at)gmail.com (erniel29(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

MVC-012F.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.49 KB
 Viewed:  3223 Time(s)

MVC-012F.JPG

rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Housai Winter Ops Reply with quote

This is depressing. Sure enjoyed our 3 weeks of sunny, t-shirt flying weather in WI...(sigh)

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:42 PM, doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Or you can install a winterization kit as in the attached photo. I think I may still have some fitted cowl blankets also.

Doug

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Greg Wrobel <clouddog22(at)gmail.com (clouddog22(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

If you live in South Florida like Ernie, closing your cooler door may work. If your anywhere North of Gainesville, you will need to learn the tricks. First of all, make sure you have heating pads on your sump, oil tank and oil cooler. When the OAT Temps get below 50 degrees, plug them in. Next, if you have not already done so install a chicken wire screen (approximately 1/2 inch square screen wire available at Lowe's or Home depot) in the leading edge oil cooler inlet. You take the housing inlet off on the leading edge and install the screen. Two things, it keeps people from throwing coke cans down there and a place to place duct tape (read on). Even by closing the oil cooler door from inside the cockpit you still need to block the air off at the inlet on the leading edge of the wing. There are several ways to mount blocker plates but what I find is a piece of duct tape on the screen you installed works great. It's easy to install, and if it's colder in the morning and it warms up by midday, you simply remove it. You will find you might have to run your engine a little warmer in the winter. A hotter engine means hotter oil. If 170 is mid range normal in the summer then 190 plus will help warm the oil in the winter  if blocking the airflow with the tape is not enough. I did not say blocking 100%. You will need to experiment with your aircraft and the current OAT. I use about a 4 inch long piece to start. On colder days I may block it off even more. Remember on decent don't pull you throttle to idle. You may need to close down you Gill shutters to keep your cylinder head temps in the green and not cool shock the engine thus cracking a cylinder. Keeping your engine and oil temps in their proper range can be challenging in the summer but I believe even more so in the winter. With the right amount of balance between throttle, gills, cylinder head temp, oil cooler door and blocking off airflow at the inlet on the wing. If anyone ever designs a good after market kit that you can block the airflow at the intake and control it from the cockpit, I believe he or she will have some extra cash in their bank account. Good luck.
Quote:

Quote:

<MVC-012F.JPG>

Ernie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Housai Winter Ops Reply with quote

Yea, I hear you, I'll have to winterize the plane sometime in the 2nd week of Feb, and will have to wait till the 2nd week of Mar. to thaw out.

On Monday, October 24, 2016, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
This is depressing. Sure enjoyed our 3 weeks of sunny, t-shirt flying weather in WI...(sigh)

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:42 PM, doug sapp <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','dougsappllc(at)gmail.com');]dougsappllc(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:

Quote:
Or you can install a winterization kit as in the attached photo. I think I may still have some fitted cowl blankets also.

Doug

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Greg Wrobel <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','clouddog22(at)gmail.com');]clouddog22(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

On Oct 19, 2016 8:31 AM, "Ernest Martinez" <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','erniel29(at)gmail.com');]erniel29(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Daniel Sallee <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','danielsallee(at)gmail.com');]danielsallee(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

<MVC-012F.JPG>

rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Housai Winter Ops Reply with quote

Awe, Ern...your optimism warms my heart! (Pun intended) Yes, March is an exciting time cuz it means the snow line begins to drop to roof level. Before you know it, it's June and we're pushing density altitude readings above sea level! You know the saying "knee high by the 4th of July?" Well here we say "snow is down to 8 feet, here comes the 30 degree heat!" Well, at least it's a nice "dry heat...." And before you know it, it's July and you can start chipping away the ice dam anchoring the big door to that blacktop that you're pretty sure was there last Summer...then it's off to SloshkOSH...or FrostkOSH...or whatever cruel joke the gods choose to punish me with. Gee, reading this I sound kinda bitter. NAH!!!

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 24, 2016, at 9:35 PM, Ernest Martinez <erniel29(at)gmail.com (erniel29(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Yea, I hear you, I'll have to winterize the plane sometime in the 2nd week of Feb, and will have to wait till the 2nd week of Mar. to thaw out.

On Monday, October 24, 2016, Rico Jaeger <rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com (rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 24, 2016, at 7:42 PM, doug sapp <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'dougsappllc(at)gmail.com\');]dougsappllc(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:

Quote:

Doug

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Greg Wrobel <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'clouddog22(at)gmail.com\');]clouddog22(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

If you live in South Florida like Ernie, closing your cooler door may work. If your anywhere North of Gainesville, you will need to learn the tricks. First of all, make sure you have heating pads on your sump, oil tank and oil cooler. When the OAT Temps get below 50 degrees, plug them in. Next, if you have not already done so install a chicken wire screen (approximately 1/2 inch square screen wire available at Lowe's or Home depot) in the leading edge oil cooler inlet. You take the housing inlet off on the leading edge and install the screen. Two things, it keeps people from throwing coke cans down there and a place to place duct tape (read on). Even by closing the oil cooler door from inside the cockpit you still need to block the air off at the inlet on the leading edge of the wing. There are several ways to mount blocker plates but what I find is a piece of duct tape on the screen you installed works great. It's easy to install, and if it's colder in the morning and it warms up by midday, you simply remove it. You will find you might have to run your engine a little warmer in the winter. A hotter engine means hotter oil. If 170 is mid range normal in the summer then 190 plus will help warm the oil in the winter  if blocking the airflow with the tape is not enough. I did not say blocking 100%. You will need to experiment with your aircraft and the current OAT. I use about a 4 inch long piece to start. On colder days I may block it off even more. Remember on decent don't pull you throttle to idle. You may need to close down you Gill shutters to keep your cylinder head temps in the green and not cool shock the engine thus cracking a cylinder. Keeping your engine and oil temps in their proper range can be challenging in the summer but I believe even more so in the winter. With the right amount of balance between throttle, gills, cylinder head temp, oil cooler door and blocking off airflow at the inlet on the wing. If anyone ever designs a good after market kit that you can block the airflow at the intake and control it from the cockpit, I believe he or she will have some extra cash in their bank account. Good luck.
On Oct 19, 2016 8:31 AM, "Ernest Martinez" <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'erniel29(at)gmail.com\');]erniel29(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Daniel Sallee <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'danielsallee(at)gmail.com\');]danielsallee(at)gmail.com[/url]> wrote:
Quote:

<MVC-012F.JPG>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: