Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transponder antenna distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Transponder antenna distance Reply with quote

Just when I think I have thought of everything in my G3X installation something else comes up.  I have a GTX23ES transponder that is a a remote mount.  I decided to mount it in the tail section where the rear battery mount is.  It worked well there because of weight and balance and I figured my cable run to the Antenna would be short and out of the way of everything else.  I missed a requirement in the Garmin Manual that says the Antenna should be 3 feet from the unit.  I plande to out eh antenna just behind unit on the belly.  I will also have a ADSB antenna on the rear belly and know that it needs to be 3' from the T-ponder antenna according to gamin. 
Am I correct in assuming that the same RF problem will exist with the ADSB being to close to the transponder unit itself ? 

I have found at least one Installer that has the transponder unit within a foot of the antenna and has had no problems.
Trying to keep all the antennas separated on the RV8 is not easy. 

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. 

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Transponder antenna distance Reply with quote

I have my navworx ads-b box about 12" from the antenna in my rv-10 located in the tail cone. No issues, works well for 4 years now. A full metal enclosure transceiver, properly terminated RG-400 cable, mounted inside an aluminum tailcone is just about as good as it gets.
Bob Newman
TCW Technologies, LLC

Quote:
On Jun 3, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Michael Lazarowicz <tllaz330(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Just when I think I have thought of everything in my G3X installation something else comes up. I have a GTX23ES transponder that is a a remote mount. I decided to mount it in the tail section where the rear battery mount is. It worked well there because of weight and balance and I figured my cable run to the Antenna would be short and out of the way of everything else. I missed a requirement in the Garmin Manual that says the Antenna should be 3 feet from the unit. I plande to out eh antenna just behind unit on the belly. I will also have a ADSB antenna on the rear belly and know that it needs to be 3' from the T-ponder antenna according to gamin.

Am I correct in assuming that the same RF problem will exist with the ADSB being to close to the transponder unit itself ?
I have found at least one Installer that has the transponder unit within a foot of the antenna and has had no problems.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Transponder antenna distance Reply with quote

I wonder if that is a cable length requirement or a physical distance requirement.  In my past reading I remember minimum cable length requirements for GPS antennas.  Just an opinion, I really do not know anything.  Maybe Stein knows?

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Michael Lazarowicz
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 6:03 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Transponder antenna distance

Just when I think I have thought of everything in my G3X installation something else comes up. I have a GTX23ES transponder that is a a remote mount. I decided to mount it in the tail section where the rear battery mount is. It worked well there because of weight and balance and I figured my cable run to the Antenna would be short and out of the way of everything else. I missed a requirement in the Garmin Manual that says the Antenna should be 3 feet from the unit. I plande to out eh antenna just behind unit on the belly. I will also have a ADSB antenna on the rear belly and know that it needs to be 3' from the T-ponder antenna according to gamin.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Transponder antenna distance Reply with quote

It's worth asking Garmin, but I'd bet what they really mean is 3' of
coax minimum; easy to do with a 'U' shaped run.

I'd hope that boxes intended to emit and/or receive RF energy would
contain and isolate it to the center of the coax connector. Otherwise,
you'd have issues with a lot of other 'stuff' in the plane.

Charlie

On 6/3/2016 8:07 AM, Tcwtech wrote:
Quote:

I have my navworx ads-b box about 12" from the antenna in my rv-10 located in the tail cone. No issues, works well for 4 years now. A full metal enclosure transceiver, properly terminated RG-400 cable, mounted inside an aluminum tailcone is just about as good as it gets.
Bob Newman
TCW Technologies, LLC

> On Jun 3, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Michael Lazarowicz <tllaz330(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just when I think I have thought of everything in my G3X installation something else comes up. I have a GTX23ES transponder that is a a remote mount. I decided to mount it in the tail section where the rear battery mount is. It worked well there because of weight and balance and I figured my cable run to the Antenna would be short and out of the way of everything else. I missed a requirement in the Garmin Manual that says the Antenna should be 3 feet from the unit. I plande to out eh antenna just behind unit on the belly. I will also have a ADSB antenna on the rear belly and know that it needs to be 3' from the T-ponder antenna according to gamin.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that the same RF problem will exist with the ADSB being to close to the transponder unit itself ?
> I have found at least one Installer that has the transponder unit within a foot of the antenna and has had no problems.
>
> Trying to keep all the antennas separated on the RV8 is not easy.
> Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Laz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Transponder antenna distance Reply with quote

Well I asked Garmin. and they indicated that in a mental airplane is was probably ot going to be an issue.  The manual says distance from Unit , not cable length.  The guy I talked with said this is really a bigger issue on composite AC than on mental ones.  He also noted that I could switch the ADSB antenna with the Transponder Antenna locations since the ADSB is in only.  Fortunately I have enough Coax to do that.  I will have close to 3 feet and the Coax will be at least 3 feet long from the transponder to the antenna.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

It's worth asking Garmin, but I'd bet what they really mean is 3' of coax minimum; easy to do with a 'U' shaped run.

I'd hope that boxes intended to emit and/or receive RF energy would contain and isolate it to the center of the coax connector. Otherwise, you'd have issues with a lot of other 'stuff' in the plane.

Charlie

On 6/3/2016 8:07 AM, Tcwtech wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Tcwtech <rnewman(at)tcwtech.com (rnewman(at)tcwtech.com)>

I have my navworx ads-b box about 12" from the antenna in my rv-10 located in the tail cone. No issues, works well for 4 years now.    A full metal enclosure transceiver, properly terminated RG-400 cable, mounted inside an aluminum tailcone is just about as good as it gets.

Bob Newman
TCW Technologies, LLC

Quote:
On Jun 3, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Michael Lazarowicz <tllaz330(at)gmail.com (tllaz330(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Just when I think I have thought of everything in my G3X installation something else comes up.  I have a GTX23ES transponder that is a a remote mount.  I decided to mount it in the tail section where the rear battery mount is.  It worked well there because of weight and balance and I figured my cable run to the Antenna would be short and out of the way of everything else.  I missed a requirement in the Garmin Manual that says the Antenna should be 3 feet from the unit.  I plande to out eh antenna just behind unit on the belly.  I will also have a ADSB antenna on the rear belly and know that it needs to be 3' from the T-ponder antenna according to gamin.

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: