Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine noise in Radio and Headset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Engine noise in Radio and Headset Reply with quote

I have an Allegro 2000 E-LSA with a Rotax 912 UL engine using the standard Rotax Voltage regulator. After 600 +/- hours I am getting a lot of “noise” in my head sets when I use the radio push-to-talk transmit button. The radio is an ICOM IC-A200 VHF Transceiver using a Comant CI 121 VHF Antenna. When using the P-T button to transmit I can actually hear the engine rpm, especially at low rpms. At higher rpms the noise is not as bad but it is still there as noise. The voltage regulator is wired per the Rotax engine wiring diagram with the addition of two 10,000 Mf capacitors in parallel.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to eliminate this “noise”?

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E. Fellow, L.M. ASCE
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
Allegro 2000 E-LSA N661WW
Rotax 912 UL 689 hours

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Hugh.vcf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hugh.vcf
 Filesize:  79 Bytes
 Downloaded:  337 Time(s)

ledson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Engine noise in Radio and Headset Reply with quote

Hugh,
I would check the noise canceling capacitors. They do fail with exposure to heat and humidity and they are not hard to check.
The following document will help you to understand the various failure modes of the different types of capacitors.

http://www.electrocube.com/electrocube/assets/File/documentation-files/capacitor-documents/electrocube-tech-bulletin-why-capacitors-fail.pdf
Good luck,
Larry Edson
N4362C

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 31, 2015, at 4:26 PM, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] I have an Allegro 2000 E-LSA with a Rotax 912 UL engine using the standard Rotax Voltage regulator. After 600 +/- hours I am getting a lot of “noise” in my head sets when I use the radio push-to-talk transmit button. The radio is an ICOM IC-A200 VHF Transceiver using a Comant CI 121 VHF Antenna. When using the P-T button to transmit I can actually hear the engine rpm, especially at low rpms. At higher rpms the noise is not as bad but it is still there as noise. The voltage regulator is wired per the Rotax engine wiring diagram with the addition of two 10,000 Mf capacitors in parallel.

Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)
Rotax 912 UL 689 hours

<Hugh.vcf>
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brian.davies(at)clara.co.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Engine noise in Radio and Headset Reply with quote

Also worth checking all the earth connections, including the aerial for corrosion, not just visually. Undo and clean all connections.  Particularly, check the regulator earth.

Regards

Brian Davies

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Edson
Sent: 01 April 2015 02:41
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Engine noise in Radio and Headset

Hugh,

I would check the noise canceling capacitors. They do fail with exposure to heat and humidity and they are not hard to check.

The following document will help you to understand the various failure modes of the different types of capacitors.

http://www.electrocube.com/electrocube/assets/File/documentation-files/capacitor-documents/electrocube-tech-bulletin-why-capacitors-fail.pdf

Good luck,

Larry Edson

N4362C
Sent from my iPad
On Mar 31, 2015, at 4:26 PM, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:

I have an Allegro 2000 E-LSA with a Rotax 912 UL engine using the standard Rotax Voltage regulator. After 600 +/- hours I am getting a lot of “noise” in my head sets when I use the radio push-to-talk transmit button. The radio is an ICOM IC-A200 VHF Transceiver using a Comant CI 121 VHF Antenna. When using the P-T button to transmit I can actually hear the engine rpm, especially at low rpms. At higher rpms the noise is not as bad but it is still there as noise. The voltage regulator is wired per the Rotax engine wiring diagram with the addition of two 10,000 Mf capacitors in parallel.

Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)

Rotax 912 UL 689 hours

<Hugh.vcf>
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: