Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SB-912-065/914-046

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Did the weight check per the Service Bulletin and found a heavy float. You can see the crack on the lower edge of the left hand float in the picture.Called both Lockwood and the Bing Agency to get the status of new float availability. None at this time, Rotax is working with Bing and Bing's float supplier to fix the problem. Fortunately, I saved the old floats when I rebuilt the carbs 18 months ago. 

Rick Girard

Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it.
-Andre Gide

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Failed_float.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  892.54 KB
 Viewed:  10289 Time(s)

Failed_float.jpg

vernon11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Shocking, that it is taking so long to sort out. Will Rotax replace them free of charge?
Vernon

Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:31 AM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: SB-912-065/914-046

Did the weight check per the Service Bulletin and found a heavy float. You can see the crack on the lower edge of the left hand float in the picture. Called both Lockwood and the Bing Agency to get the status of new float availability. None at this time, Rotax is working with Bing and Bing's float supplier to fix the problem. Fortunately, I saved the old floats when I rebuilt the carbs 18 months ago.

Rick Girard

-Andre Gide

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

AmphibFlyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

rickofudall wrote:
Did the weight check per the Service Bulletin and found a heavy float. You can see the crack on the lower edge of the left hand float in the picture.

My 914 is 15 years old; but I replaced both carbs last year with new ones that I bought on Ebay. (The price was hardly more than the cost of a rebuuild kit.) Everything was fine for several months, but then I started smelling gasoline in turbulence, and occasionally the engine would flood after a flight and was hard to re-start. Sometimes the next day after flying I'd see that a bit of gasoline had run down the side of the pylon (it's a high-wing pusher SeaRey) and onto the turtledeck below. I worked around that by turning off the fuel pumps about 30 seconds before switching the engine off. That prevented flooding, but made me anxious, even though the engine ran just fine otherwise.

Then three people I knew with brand new engines had similar but much worse problems. The engine would load up and sometime quit when idling. Then in flight at low throttle settings. One got so bad that the only way the pilot could keep the engine running in flight was to turn both fuel pumps OFF! When the engine would begin to stutter he'd flip on one pump for a few seconds. It was a scary situation for him, but he managed to reach an airport and land safely.

Eventually Rotax issued the SB.

And THEN I had a look at the serial numbers on my "new" carbs. Sure enough, they were in the range that Rotax cited.

So a few days ago I took the floats out and weighed them: 3 g, 3 g, 3 g, 2.9 g--all within the acceptable range, but very close to Rotax's maximum pair weight of 7 g.

Furthermore, 2 of the 4 floats were abraded and had chips worse than those in Rick's photo. They had been in service for about 200 hours.

I replaced them with unused floats from a carb kit that I bought about 8 years ago. Those floats weighed only 0.5 g less than the faulty floats but they had no cracks or chips.

I've flown the airplane about 5 hours since then without smelling gasoline in flight, and the engine doesn't flood, and there's no gas seeping out anywhere. So I'm calling it fixed, at least for now.

Anyone with an engine or carbs in the worry range of serial numbers should take that SB VERY seriously! And if they notice any of the symptoms I've described, I'd urge them to stay on the ground until they can check the floats.

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Vernon, When I called Lockwood tech support I was told the procedure is to order new floats and with them will come a warranty form. Fill out the form, send it in with the old floats and you get a refund. So, yes, it appears Rotax is supporting the S/B. Now all we need are new floats.

Rick
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM, vernon mitchell <vernon11(at)xsinet.co.za (vernon11(at)xsinet.co.za)> wrote:
Quote:
Shocking, that it is taking so long to sort out. Will Rotax replace them free of charge?
Vernon

Did the weight check per the Service Bulletin and found a heavy float. You can see the crack on the lower edge of the left hand float in the picture. Called both Lockwood and the Bing Agency to get the status of new float availability. None at this time, Rotax is working with Bing and Bing's float supplier to fix the problem. Fortunately, I saved the old floats when I rebuilt the carbs 18 months ago. 

Rick Girard

-Andre Gide

Quote:

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

--

-Andre Gide

[quote][b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Rick:
did you get that in writing?  Does their website support what was said.
Barry

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Vernon, When I called Lockwood tech support I was told the procedure is to order new floats and with them will come a warranty form. Fill out the form, send it in with the old floats and you get a refund. So, yes, it appears Rotax is supporting the S/B. Now all we need are new floats.

Rick
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM, vernon mitchell <vernon11(at)xsinet.co.za (vernon11(at)xsinet.co.za)> wrote:
Quote:
Vernon

Rick Girard

[b]

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Barry, No, I'm just reporting what I was told. What's your point?

Rick
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com (flyadive(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Rick:
Barry

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Vernon, When I called Lockwood tech support I was told the procedure is to order new floats and with them will come a warranty form. Fill out the form, send it in with the old floats and you get a refund. So, yes, it appears Rotax is supporting the S/B. Now all we need are new floats.

Rick
Quote:
Vernon

Rick Girard

Quote:

ank">www.mrrace.com

--

-Andre Gide

[quote][b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Rich:
I am very cautious...  Some may say skeptical.  Only because as much as we love our planes, others love our wallets.  I do not see why we should buy a new set of floats (you already paid for the first set).  It would seam very simple to just:
a> ROTAX/Lockwood create an online form to be filled out and issue either a cash credit, written check or ship you new floats.  Or...
b> ROTAX/Lockwood should accept a simple letter from those affected along with the old style float and send out a new floats.
Why should we have to BUY a new set and then WAIT for them to credit us!
If it is not in writing it does not exist.  Perry Mason 101.  
Barry
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Barry, No, I'm just reporting what I was told. What's your point?

Rick
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com (flyadive(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Rick:
Barry

Quote:

Rick
Quote:
Vernon

Rick Girard

Quote:

ank">www.mrrace.com

--

-Andre Gide

Quote:

ank">www.mrrace.com

[b]

asandul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
New to this site and have been reading very good comments on Rotax and anything to do with Pulsar III aircraft. Have had many issues since rebuild of plane and issues with 912ULS.
Just a FYI for float issue. Rotax SB-912-065-R1, Material Info-2.2, covers Rotax paying for all required to test but doesn't indicate about paying upfront or refund later.
Will try to get more involved with forum as time permits.
Good luck,
Alan

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 29, 2014, at 12:53 PM, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com (flyadive(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Rich:
I am very cautious... Some may say skeptical. Only because as much as we love our planes, others love our wallets. I do not see why we should buy a new set of floats (you already paid for the first set). It would seam very simple to just:
a> ROTAX/Lockwood create an online form to be filled out and issue either a cash credit, written check or ship you new floats. Or...
b> ROTAX/Lockwood should accept a simple letter from those affected along with the old style float and send out a new floats.
Why should we have to BUY a new set and then WAIT for them to credit us!
If it is not in writing it does not exist. Perry Mason 101.
Barry
On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Barry, No, I'm just reporting what I was told. What's your point?

Rick
Quote:
Rick:
did you get that in writing? Does their website support what was said.
Barry

Quote:

Rick
Quote:
Vernon

Rick Girard

Quote:

ank">www.mrrace.com

--

-Andre Gide

Quote:

ank">www.mrrace.com

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ot;">www.aeroelectric.com
books.com"">www.buildersbooks.com
quot;">www.homebuilthelp.com
quot;">www.mypilotstore.com
">www.mrrace.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Engines-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
//forums.matronics.com

[b]

AmphibFlyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: SB-912-065/914-046 Reply with quote

rickofudall wrote:
...Called both Lockwood and the Bing Agency to get the status of new float availability. None at this time, Rotax is working with Bing and Bing's float supplier to fix the problem. ...
Rick Girard

Here's an update on Rick's post:

I just talked on the phone with Dean at Lockwood. He says that Rotax hasn't yet announced a remedy for the bad float problem (other than to check them every 25 hours) and therefore Lockwood still has the old, potentially bad, floats. He says that float replacement will work like a standard warranty claim. You buy new floats and submit a warranty claim for the bad floats.

You'll need to demonstrate that the floats actually are bad--by weighing them individually or by photographing them floating in gasoline while in a carb bowl. I think he said that the pin should be at the fuel level; if not, they're bad. (A 912 bowl will work as well as a 914 bowl and is easier because you don't have to hold the bigfat bolt and o-ring in there to keep the gas from running out.)

In the meantime, all engines, carbs, and floats in the worry range should be checked every 25 hours. That includes brand new floats that you might buy to replace your bad ones--until Rotax gets the float supply problem fixed.

=Don Maxwell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: