Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912 Gearbox Sealant Loctite 5910 and 574

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: 912 Gearbox Sealant Loctite 5910 and 574 Reply with quote

I need to seal the mating surfaces of the gearbox on my Rotax 912 UL upon reassembly after a 700 hour disassemble and inspection. I am having a real difficulty in finding the Rotax recommended Loctite 5910 in small quantities for this. When I can find it, it is in tubes costing $50 (US) per tube. I only need a very small quantity. Upon researching the product I find it is an Oximine Silicone, thixotropic, oil resistant, RTV paste. I can find Permatex Ultra Black at my local auto store which is basically the same (an Oximine Silicone, thixotropic, oil resistant, RTV paste). The cured properties of both appear to be the same.

Why must a Loctite product be used? Are there other equal products that can be used? What are other mechanics using for this? Gearbox is back and ready to be reinstalled.

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Allegro 2000
Rotax 912 UL
700 hours
N661WW
Ph. 704-661-8271
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Hugh.vcf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hugh.vcf
 Filesize:  79 Bytes
 Downloaded:  319 Time(s)

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: 912 Gearbox Sealant Loctite 5910 and 574 Reply with quote

My last 912ULS has had a leaky gearbox seal since shortly after I bought it. Tried Loctite 5910, when Rotax changed to this sealant, but it still leaked a little. Finally, found Permatex "The Right Stuff". It works. Cleaned the mating surfaces with MEK. Made sure no oil was leaking from engine to contaminate the sealing surfaces.

I also used The Right Stuff to seal the intake and exhaust push rod covers where they entered the No. 1 cylinder head. Got the idea from someone who had a leaky cover and did the same thing. Cleaned the joints with brake cleaner. Thoroughly dried. Applied The Right Stuff in the joints, rubbed it in with my finger. Let it dry for 24 hours. Hasn't leaked since, push rod covers or gear box.

I am currently finishing up a 3 week flight from Alabama to Monument Valley, UT, and up to friends in the SE corner of Oregon. Currently in El Dorado,KS. Another two days to fly back to my home in Titus, AL. I have flown about 60.0 hours this trip and the engine is oil free. Sure is a good feeling to land, check the engine, and not see oil seepage.

You all may be interested to know I flew direct from Morgan, UT to Rock Springs, WY, to Fort Collins/Loveland Airport, CO. This is my 22d transcontinental flight since 2003 in this airplane. First time I have been able to fly direct over the Rockies in this area. The weather was perfect. Had some turbulence, but bad. Climbed and cruised 15,000 feet MSL to clear the mountains. The 912ULS did good.

john h
Kolb MKIII
El Dorado, KS

---- Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
Quote:
I need to seal the mating surfaces of the gearbox on my Rotax 912 UL upon reassembly after a 700 hour disassemble and inspection. I am having a real difficulty in finding the Rotax recommended Loctite 5910 in small quantities for this. When I can find it, it is in tubes costing $50 (US) per tube. I only need a very small quantity. Upon researching the product I find it is an Oximine Silicone, thixotropic, oil resistant, RTV paste. I can find Permatex Ultra Black at my local auto store which is basically the same (an Oximine Silicone, thixotropic, oil resistant, RTV paste). The cured properties of both appear to be the same.

Why must a Loctite product be used? Are there other equal products that can be used? What are other mechanics using for this? Gearbox is back and ready to be reinstalled.

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Allegro 2000
Rotax 912 UL
700 hours
N661WW
Ph. 704-661-8271
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: 912 Gearbox Sealant Loctite 5910 and 574 Reply with quote

Sorry for the omission. I flew 6.0 hours today in Kansas wind, right on the nose. I am worn out. I am three days out of SE Oregon. The turbulence over the Rockies was not bad. Weather at Rock Springs, WY, was perfect. Never seen anything but wind, rain, and cold at Rock Springs. Had a good idea I could make it over the mountains direct.

john h

> You all may be interested to know I flew direct from Morgan, UT to Rock Springs, WY, to Fort Collins/Loveland Airport, CO. This is my 22d transcontinental flight since 2003 in this airplane. First time I have been able to fly direct over the Rockies in this area. The weather was perfect. Had some turbulence, but "NOT" bad. Climbed and cruised 15,000 feet MSL to clear the mountains. The 912ULS did good.
Quote:

john h
Kolb MKIII
El Dorado, KS

---- Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I need to seal the mating surfaces of the gearbox on my Rotax 912 UL upon reassembly after a 700 hour disassemble and inspection. I am having a real difficulty in finding the Rotax recommended Loctite 5910 in small quantities for this. When I can find it, it is in tubes costing $50 (US) per tube. I only need a very small quantity. Upon researching the product I find it is an Oximine Silicone, thixotropic, oil resistant, RTV paste. I can find Permatex Ultra Black at my local auto store which is basically the same (an Oximine Silicone, thixotropic, oil resistant, RTV paste). The cured properties of both appear to be the same.
>
> Why must a Loctite product be used? Are there other equal products that can be used? What are other mechanics using for this? Gearbox is back and ready to be reinstalled.
>
> Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
> Allegro 2000
> Rotax 912 UL
> 700 hours
> N661WW
> Ph. 704-661-8271
> email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net

Titus, Alabama
uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: 912 Gearbox Sealant Loctite 5910 and 574 Reply with quote

You all may be interested to know I flew direct from Morgan, UT to Rock Springs, WY, to Fort Collins/Loveland Airport, CO. This is my 22d transcontinental flight since 2003 in this airplane. First time I have been able to fly direct over the Rockies in this area. The weather was perfect. Had some turbulence, but bad. Climbed and cruised 15,000 feet MSL to clear the mountains. The 912ULS did good.
      john h
      Kolb MKIII
      El Dorado, KS

Wow John… congratulations! If you ever come by Santa Fe, NM, get in touch, I'd love to meet up. I'll be moving there next week. Unfortunately the Kitfox will be staying here in Italy, I'll have to see what I can get my hands on when I'm there.

Sacha
Kitfox 4, Tri-gear, 912UL
Italy [quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 912 Gearbox Sealant Loctite 5910 and 574 Reply with quote

Loctite 5910 is the European equivalent of our Loctite 598. Use loctite 598 to seal the gearbox. Loctite 574 is not used any more.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: