Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AN fuel line fittings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings? How'd that work out for ya?

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Lots of people do, indeed possibly most out there. I used them throughout, my only question was whether to use aluminum of steel. I used steel and brass on fuel, and used steel on a couple of the oil lines; the rest aluminum. Hope it works, as I'm not quite flying yet.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
Now a glider pilot, too.

Guy Buchanan Normal Guy Buchanan 2 21 2011-09-20T05:05:00Z 2011-09-20T05:05:00Z 1 31 183 1 1 213 14.00 <![endif]--> 59 false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

On 9/4/2014 3:00 PM, frank3 wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "frank3" <frank3phyl(at)comcast.net> (frank3phyl(at)comcast.net)

Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings? How'd that work out for ya?

--------
Frank McDonald
Kitfox S7
912S, Sensenich Composite 3 Blade
Acworth, GA

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=430002#430002

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jay(at)horriblehyde.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Hello Guy,
One problem with brass is that it may corrode in such a way to block your small orifices- although I think that with fuel it would be ok. The reason for this is that brass will corrode in the presence of water (as do other metals, but I have noticed that brass will do that in a pain in the arse way in particular situations). Because you are using brass in your fuel lines it shouldn’t be a problem- except where you have small orifices.
But it looks as if you have that figured out…
Johannesburg Jay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HH Enterprises
  • Aircraft assembly, repair, wiring and avionics
  • Flight instruction
  • General and Electrical Engineering services

(NHD Elec Eng, BTech Elec Eng, GDE ELec Eng)
  • Great dinner parties and conversation
  • General adventuring, climbing, kayaking and living

Blog: www.rawhyde.wordpress.com
Cel: 083 300 8675
Email: jay(at)horriblehyde.com (jay(at)horriblehyde.com)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Guy Buchanan
Sent: 05 September 2014 02:45 AM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: AN fuel line fittings

Lots of people do, indeed possibly most out there. I used them throughout, my only question was whether to use aluminum of steel. I used steel and brass on fuel, and used steel on a couple of the oil lines; the rest aluminum. Hope it works, as I'm not quite flying yet.
Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "frank3" <frank3phyl(at)comcast.net> (frank3phyl(at)comcast.net) Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings? How'd that work out for ya? --------Frank McDonaldKitfox S7912S, Sensenich Composite 3 BladeAcworth, GA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
[quote][b]

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Thankfully the brass parts are limited to 3/8" openings and I don't plan on running alcohol fuel, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Guy

On 9/5/2014 2:47 AM, Jay Hyde wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hello Guy,
One problem with brass is that it may corrode in such a way to block your small orifices- although I think that with fuel it would be ok.  The reason for this is that brass will corrode in the presence of water (as do other metals, but I have noticed that brass will do that in a pain in the arse way in particular situations).  Because you are using brass in your fuel lines it shouldn’t be a problem- except where you have small orifices.
Johannesburg Jay
HH Enterprises 
  • Flight instruction

Cel: 083 300 8675

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Guy Buchanan
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "frank3" <frank3phyl(at)comcast.net> (frank3phyl(at)comcast.net) Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings?  How'd that work out for ya? --------Frank McDonaldKitfox S7912S, Sensenich Composite 3 BladeAcworth, GA  
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings?  How'd that work out for ya?
Quote:
Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings?  How'd that work out for ya?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3 [b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Hi Jay & Gaggle:
Brass does not corrode. It can oxidize the same as aluminum, forming Brass Oxide. As for small orifices - There should NOT be any small orifices in a fuel system.  There is a simple and basic requirement that the fuel line have a diameter large enough to supply twice the full power hourly fuel flow of the engine under a gravity feed system. Now, there are BRASS nozzles used on many Lycoming & Continental engines for the Primer Lines which are quite small. In the range of 0.060" Diameter. So, once again orifice size in not an issue. MANY carburetors use brass nozzles and valve seats internally - So, once again orifice size in not an issue.
Sorry Jay, your information is not correct.
Barry
On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Jay Hyde <jay(at)horriblehyde.com (jay(at)horriblehyde.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Hello Guy,
One problem with brass is that it may corrode in such a way to block your small orifices- although I think that with fuel it would be ok. The reason for this is that brass will corrode in the presence of water (as do other metals, but I have noticed that brass will do that in a pain in the arse way in particular situations). Because you are using brass in your fuel lines it shouldn&rsquo;t be a problem- except where you have small orifices.
But it looks as if you have that figured out&hellip;
Johannesburg Jay
HH Enterprises
  • Flight instruction

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Guy Buchanan
Subject: Re: RotaxEngines-List: AN fuel line fittings

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "frank3" <frank3phyl(at)comcast.net> (frank3phyl(at)comcast.net) Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings? How'd that work out for ya? --------Frank McDonaldKitfox S7912S, Sensenich Composite 3 BladeAcworth, GA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
[b]

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

I think I agree on the corrosion, unless it's electrolytic. As to the orifices, there is one in the stock return line. Not sure what size it is, but it is pretty small, certainly smaller than  .06".
Guy Buchanan Normal Guy Buchanan 2 21 2011-09-20T05:05:00Z 2011-09-20T05:05:00Z 1 31 183 1 1 213 14.00 <![endif]--> 59 false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 9/5/2014 11:59 AM, FLYaDIVE wrote:

[quote] Hi Jay & Gaggle:

Brass does not corrode.  It can oxidize the same as aluminum, forming Brass Oxide.  As for small orifices - There should NOT be any small orifices in a fuel system.  There is a simple and basic requirement that the fuel line have a diameter large enough to supply twice the full power hourly fuel flow of the engine under a gravity feed system.  Now, there are BRASS nozzles used on many Lycoming & Continental engines for the Primer Lines which are quite small. In the range of 0.060" Diameter.  So, once again orifice size in not an issue. MANY carburetors use brass nozzles and valve seats internally - So, once again orifice size in not an issue.

Barry

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Jay Hyde <jay(at)horriblehyde.com (jay(at)horriblehyde.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Hello Guy,
One problem with brass is that it may corrode in such a way to block your small orifices- although I think that with fuel it would be ok.  The reason for this is that brass will corrode in the presence of water (as do other metals, but I have noticed that brass will do that in a pain in the arse way in particular situations).  Because you are using brass in your fuel lines it shouldn’t be a problem- except where you have small orifices.
Johannesburg Jay
HH Enterprises 
  • Flight instruction

Cel: 083 300 8675

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "frank3" <frank3phyl(at)comcast.net> (frank3phyl(at)comcast.net) Has any one gone to the trouble (and expense) of using AN fittings on their fuel or oil lines, i.e. used Aeroquip or Stratoflex fittings?  How'd that work out for ya? --------Frank McDonaldKitfox S7912S, Sensenich Composite 3 BladeAcworth, GA  
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

4 [b]

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Guy:
You cannot agree to the corrosion as it is nonexistent. Did you read my post?
Just in case you missed it:-
Hi Jay & Gaggle:
Brass does not corrode. It can oxidize the same as aluminum, forming Brass Oxide. As for small orifices - There should NOT be any small orifices in a fuel system. There is a simple and basic requirement that the fuel line have a diameter large enough to supply twice the full power hourly fuel flow of the engine under a gravity feed system.  Now, there are BRASS nozzles used on many Lycoming & Continental engines for the Primer Lines which are quite small. In the range of 0.060" Diameter. So, once again orifice size in not an issue. MANY carburetors use brass nozzles and valve seats internally - So, once again orifice size in not an issue.
Barry
=========================
And if you wonder what my qualifications are for making my statements, I was a QA Manager and Technical Sales Engineer for a metal coatings company for 8 years and a QA Test Engineer for 20+ working years of my life. Add to that the little fact about brass being used in carbs for decades you will realize Jay in incorrect.
Barry
On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)> wrote:
[quote] I think I agree on the corrosion, unless it's electrolytic. As to the orifices, there is one in the stock return line. Not sure what size it is, but it is pretty small, certainly smaller than .06".

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

[quote] Hi Jay & Gaggle:

Brass does not corrode. It can oxidize the same as aluminum, forming Brass Oxide. As for small orifices - There should NOT be any small orifices in a fuel system. There is a simple and basic requirement that the fuel line have a diameter large enough to supply twice the full power hourly fuel flow of the engine under a gravity feed system. Now, there are BRASS nozzles used on many Lycoming & Continental engines for the Primer Lines which are quite small. In the range of 0.060" Diameter

brian.davies(at)clara.co.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: AN fuel line fittings Reply with quote

There are lots of small orifices in fuel systems. That’s how carbs work. (supplying fuel through small orifices). The standard Rotax fuel return system uses a fuel return through a small orifice.

Regards

Brian Davies

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: 06 September 2014 00:41
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com; gebuchanan(at)cox.net

Guy:

You cannot agree to the corrosion as it is nonexistent. Did you read my post?

Just in case you missed it:-

Hi Jay & Gaggle:

Brass does not corrode. It can oxidize the same as aluminum, forming Brass Oxide. As for small orifices - There should NOT be any small orifices in a fuel system. There is a simple and basic requirement that the fuel line have a diameter large enough to supply twice the full power hourly fuel flow of the engine under a gravity feed system. Now, there are BRASS nozzles used on many Lycoming & Continental engines for the Primer Lines which are quite small. In the range of 0.060" Diameter. So, once again orifice size in not an issue. MANY carburetors use brass nozzles and valve seats internally - So, once again orifice size in not an issue.

Barry

=========================

And if you wonder what my qualifications are for making my statements, I was a QA Manager and Technical Sales Engineer for a metal coatings company for 8 years and a QA Test Engineer for 20+ working years of my life. Add to that the little fact about brass being used in carbs for decades you will realize Jay in incorrect.

Barry

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)> wrote:
I think I agree on the corrosion, unless it's electrolytic. As to the orifices, there is one in the stock return line. Not sure what size it is, but it is pretty small, certainly smaller than .06".

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:

Hi Jay & Gaggle:

Brass does not corrode. It can oxidize the same as aluminum, forming Brass Oxide. As for small orifices - There should NOT be any small orifices in a fuel system. There is a simple and basic requirement that the fuel line have a diameter large enough to supply twice the full power hourly fuel flow of the engine under a gravity feed system. Now, there are BRASS nozzles used on many Lycoming & Continental engines for the Primer Lines which are quite small. In the range of 0.060" Diameter. So, once again orifice size in not an issue. MANY carburetors use brass nozzles and valve seats internally - So, once again orifice size in not an issue.

Barry

Quote:

Hello Guy,
One problem with brass is that it may corrode in such a way to block your small orifices- although I think that with fuel it would be ok. The reason for this is that brass will corrode in the presence of water (as do other metals, but I have noticed that brass will do that in a pain in the arse way in particular situations). Because you are using brass in your fuel lines it shouldn’t be a problem- except where you have small orifices.
Johannesburg Jay
HH Enterprises
  • Flight instruction

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Now a glider pilot, too.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------

Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------

Quote:
--------
Quote:
--------
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Frank McDonald
Quote:
Kitfox S7
Quote:
Kitfox S7
Quote:
Kitfox S7
Quote:
Kitfox S7
Quote:
Kitfox S7
Quote:
Kitfox S7
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4765 / 09/05/14
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: