Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

in-line fuel filters - can you recommend any?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: in-line fuel filters - can you recommend any? Reply with quote

Hi Guy
What do you think of the idea of gluing aluminum welding flanges to the outside of the tank using two-part epoxy resin/glue or some other adhesive. Would it work?
Once the flanges are glued i could drill holes in the tank and then screw the finger strainers/fuel drains in place.
The flange for the fuel port could be cut so that it can sit lower down.
Sacha

On Jul 2, 2014, at 2:35, Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)> wrote:
[quote] If yours is like mine the tank exit is buried in the lower aft corner of the tank. This makes it very difficult to secondarily reinforce, since it's hard to get enough bond area for the reinforcement. Best would be to adhere a tapered 1/4" thick G-10 tapping plate where you want the exit, then cover that with about 10 plies of 8oz fiberglass, tapering or sequencing so that the edges taper. This would give you a little less than 1/2" to tap into for the NPT finger strainers. (If you want to just glue a tapping plate externally, you'll have to extend well onto the tank sidewall to get enough adherence area to enable you do drill and tap the plate. Unfortunately the drilling and/or tapping process usually pries the tapping plate off the tank anyway. Been there...)

Bulkhead fittings usually make you move well away from the edge/corner of the tank, making you loose capacity. Unfortunately, in this case I can't think of an easy solution.

As to sealant, again I would use ACS 2-part polysulfide.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 7/1/2014 4:41 PM, Sacha wrote:

Quote:
But what if installing a counter-nut is not feasible? Are there any alternative methods? What kind of glue/sealant should be used? Would one use Alum Flange Fittings? I have zero experience in these matters and need some guidance as to best practice.

[b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: in-line fuel filters - can you recommend any? Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, Sacha, I've been out of town.

That might work. You must be very careful to sand, clean, then use something like MetalPrep, then Alodine, to prep the surface of the aluminum so you get a really good bond. It will seriously ruin your day to have this flange pop off with the finger strainer in place, thereby letting the entire tank of fuel drain into your wing. >Surprised  (Meaning: I would never do it, unless I glassed over it after bonding it.)

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 912-S / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded
Now a glider pilot, too.

On 7/16/2014 8:50 PM, Sacha wrote:

[quote] What do you think of the idea of  gluing aluminum welding flanges to the outside of the tank using two-part epoxy resin/glue or some other adhesive. Would it work?

Once the flanges are glued i could drill holes in the tank  and then screw the finger strainers/fuel drains in place. 
The flange for the fuel port could be cut so that it can sit lower down. 
[b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: