Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

use of carb cleaner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadian.outdoor.sales(at

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: use of carb cleaner Reply with quote

I have an m14p installed on a Moose and wondering if a non ethanol carb cleaner can be used on the carb. I have developed a stumble when pulling power off in the descent. Usually around 18"mp and 2000rpm. The stumble quits if I continue to decrease power or increase rpm. I am thinking it is when the carb is transitioning from high to low speed jet. I have blocked the accelerator jet as per the Kimble mod. No stumble now when applying power. Any opinions are appreciated.
Best
Mike Mahoney
[quote][b]

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: use of carb cleaner Reply with quote

Well you asked for an opinion.

I do not agree with the "Kimble Mod" of blocking the accelerator jet. This was something that was the E Ticket Ride a long time ago before folks realized that this jet had a way to be ADJUSTED, by using different jets that came in a PACK. Obtaining the accelerator jet kit allows you to tailor the carb to the engine. This issue seemed to primarily be with the M-14PF engine and less so the M-14P. Either way, the jet kit eliminates the problem properly, but if you are happy with what you have done, so be it.

I would not recommend ANY kind of "carb cleaner". This is not a float fed carb, with a venturi and jets. This is a pressure carb that is very close to fuel injection principles. It is.. in my humble opinion, very unlikely that your carb is at fault here if it has been working fine.. especially pulling the power BACK.

I would suspect instead some kind of intake leak. For example, if you have the intake drain kit installed... look that puppy dog over CAREFULLY for any cracks or leaks. The stumble sounds to me like an engine going lean as you come out of the supercharger and start to come back to ambient or below. An intake leak of any type here could cause that. Intake drains, tubes, you name it.

One of the things you can do is to get some WD-40, or ... heaven forbid starter fluid.... I'm pretty scared of that stuff.... and spray it around the intake at idle and listen for change in engine sound. An intake leak will suck that stuff up and you'll hear it in the engine sound. Starter fluid works, but man... scary stuff. A compression check on all the cylinders is also called for in case you have a really weak cylinder which also might go lean with throttle pullback.

I would listen to some of the better engine experts on this list. Dennis, George Coy, M-14P, etc. I am not a Russian engine super duper mechanic. I have been around same and have learned from them. I just doubt that this is a carb issue based on my 14 years or so being around them.

Mark

Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:10 PM
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: use of carb cleaner

I have an m14p installed on a Moose and wondering if a non ethanol carb cleaner can be used on the carb. I have developed a stumble when pulling power off in the descent. Usually around 18"mp and 2000rpm. The stumble quits if I continue to decrease power or increase rpm. I am thinking it is when the carb is transitioning from high to low speed jet. I have blocked the accelerator jet as per the Kimble mod. No stumble now when applying power. Any opinions are appreciated.
Best
Mike Mahoney

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: use of carb cleaner Reply with quote

I agree it is probably an intake leak. Instead of wd40 or starter fluid, use
an unlit propane torch. It will make an RM change as well . Don't forget
the manifold pressure gages and lines as well as suspects.
George

mike63

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: use of carb cleaner Reply with quote

I checked both ends of all the intake tubes with WD and found nothing. I will give the propane a shot and include the drain kit and MP line.
thanks
Mike

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: use of carb cleaner Reply with quote

Also check the primer line since it also connects directly into the supercharger case.
Dennis
Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1
On 5/29/2014 8:44 AM, mike63 wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
--> M14PEngines-List message posted by: "mike63" <canadianoutdoorsales(at)gmail.com> (canadianoutdoorsales(at)gmail.com)

I checked both ends of all the intake tubes with WD and found nothing. I will give the propane a shot and include the drain kit and MP line.
thanks
Mike

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=423960#423960

[b]

mike63

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: use of carb cleaner Reply with quote

Well I retightened all of the intake tubes and tightened all of the nuts between intake ring and the nose case and accessory case and the stumble has cleared up.
thanks for the help
Mike Mahoney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: