Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopy choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LNelson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Canopy choice Reply with quote

I am in the process of finishing up the fuselage on my HDS. So question of the day, Side Hinge canopy, or convert to the XL front hinge design?

How much trouble is the change?

Is it worth the additional cost?

Any I put is appreciated.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Canopy choice Reply with quote

Hello,

I am building an HD with the CH650 canopy. 
I didn't even consider the side opening canopy: I think it is operation isn't very convenient, and also heard about canopies departing the aircraft. Not cool.

I am building from plans, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. But I did buy the canopy kit.
If you are interested, search my name in zenith.aero, I posted some pictures there.

Carlos
On 7 March 2014 17:35, LNelson <lk.nelson(at)juno.com (lk.nelson(at)juno.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "LNelson" <lk.nelson(at)juno.com (lk.nelson(at)juno.com)>

I am in the process of finishing up the fuselage on my HDS.  So question of the day,  Side Hinge canopy, or convert to the XL front hinge design?

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dgraham7(at)TWCNY.RR.COM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Canopy choice Reply with quote

I have a 601 HDS that was built in 2000. I bought it in 2009. My HDS has the side opening canopy and it was damaged during the annual last year. It was replaced but it was not a good job so I am going to replace it again and I am also debating whether I should use the side opening, 601XL or the 650.
The side opening would be easiest and would not require as much modification. The XL canopy would require mods and the 650 canopy even more mods. For simplicity I am leaning toward the side opening again, with a good, solid locking system.
I sat in the 650 at Oshkosh and the headroom was great but it pains me to peel away that much of the fuselage. I am concerned that it would change the look of the plane too much.
Regards,
Damien
N48TK
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, at 5:35 PM, "LNelson" <lk.nelson(at)juno.com> wrote:

I am in the process of finishing up the fuselage on my HDS. So question of the day, Side Hinge canopy, or convert to the XL front hinge design?

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=419946#419946

jeffrey_davidson(at)earth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Canopy choice Reply with quote

It has been a while since I did mine, but I used the XL front hinged canopy on my HD model which is the same fuselage as the HDS. Much better than the side-to-side. I captured the bolts that hold it on physically so that even if the nuts come completely off, the canopy can't fly away by itself. Removing the canopy requires drilling out some rivets. I bought the XL canopy kit from Zenith and, as I remember, the two extra "skins" on either side of the top skin where the canopy hinge rests in the channel when closed. I got the XL canopy plans with the kit to make it easy to see the differences. I do pay close attention to the latching mechanism to make sure that the canopy is closed on both side every time I fly. I did have one side come open early on, but I noticed it in the pattern and simply landed with no problem except the extra wind noise.
Jeff Davidson
N601T (videos on youtube)
do not archive

--

jerryvmd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Canopy choice Reply with quote

I am one of the people that had the original sise-to-side on my HD AND I
had it separate on take-off on the way to Oskhosh. Thankfully my wife
and I were OK. I elected to rebuild using the forward hinge from the
Zenith kit(I think it was for an HDS or XL). It really didn't take that
much work - I had scratch built anyway. I agree with Jeff Davidson, it
is worth the effort and not much different in cost.
Jerry

On 3/7/2014 5:35 PM, LNelson wrote:
Quote:

larrycmcfarland(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Canopy choice Reply with quote

Hi L Nelson,
I'd recommend the forward hinged canopy by far, for safety, ease of use,
access to the cockpit, etc.
I think the symmetry is also much easier on the plastic, stress wise. I've
had the canopy open twice and had
no difficulty landing for a re-latch. The side hinged ones, don't have so
much survivability.
I've a site with a page of pics on the canopy as it was built and installed.
(see canopy on the menu)
Reference: www.macsmachine.com

Go easy,
Larry McFarland

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: