Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHT Disparity-Jabiru 3300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: CHT Disparity-Jabiru 3300 Reply with quote

I attended a forum at Oshkosh where a fellow discussed his research on cooling a Jabiru 3300. He had compared the spark plug washer type CHT sensors to ones directly in the head and showed that they pretty consistently indicated CHT's about 70° cooler than actual temperatures! If this is the case, Jab operators could be cooking their engines while thinking that their CHT's were within safe limits. He ended up designing a cooling baffling system that is nothing like what comes from the factory and claimed that was the only way he was able to get the CHT's under control.

I wonder what the rest of you Jabiru 3300 operators have to say about this? I'm not flying mine yet but will be getting ready to hang it soon.

For a summary on the fellow who made the presentation check out http://www.eaaapps.org/presenterinfo.aspx?id=1973

Tim

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: CHT Disparity-Jabiru 3300 Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I believe the Jabiru specifications are based on the spark plug sensors.

My 3300 is running just fine after about 50 hours. It wanted to
overheat at first but I reduced throttle to keep from getting it too
hot. Probably my first 10 or 15 flight hours were dedicated to making
small changes in the cooling air flow and test flying. I have Dynon EMS
with sensors on each cylinder and exhaust to monitor the temps.

One anecdotal experience I had was a big mouth engineer on one of the
Jabiru lists who claimed all Jabirus had evidence of overheating on the
cylinder bottoms. I sent him photographs of mine, and after avoiding
response he admitted my engine looked just fine with no suggestion it
had ever been overheated.

When you let the cylinders get hot (not necessarily overheated, but
warmer than is good) the cylinder head bolts tend to get a bit loose.
You should check them regularly after first running your engine.

Good luck,

Paul
Camas, WA

On 8/13/2013 11:12 AM, Tim Juhl wrote:
Quote:

I attended a forum at Oshkosh where a fellow discussed his research on cooling a Jabiru 3300. He had compared the spark plug washer type CHT sensors to ones directly in the head and showed that they pretty consistently indicated CHT's about 70° cooler than actual temperatures! If this is the case, Jab operators could be cooking their engines while thinking that their CHT's were within safe limits. He ended up designing a cooling baffling system that is nothing like what comes from the factory and claimed that was the only way he was able to get the CHT's under control.

I wonder what the rest of you Jabiru 3300 operators have to say about this? I'm not flying mine yet but will be getting ready to hang it soon.

For a summary on the fellow who made the presentation check out http://www.eaaapps.org/presenterinfo.aspx?id=1973

Tim

--------
Wing modifications done - back working on the fuselage

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=406638#406638

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: