Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CJ6 Mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSalter(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: CJ6 Mods Reply with quote

As a new owner of a CJ I have searched for a list of common modifications for the CJ without much luck. I am interested in things like clean kits, exhaust changes, lighting, or whatever makes a good plane better. What are common or suggested modifications?

It would be great to have one of the CJ web sites post a list of the desired mods.  As a past Yak 52 owner, I found numerous sites that listed different changes for the Yak that were helpful but,  I have found very little listed about the Nanchang.

All the cockpit lighting was removed from my plane. Any suggestions on what lighting would work well?  Has anyone have cockpit lights and rheostats and would like to sell?

How does one turn on the landing gear indicator lights that are mounted externally on the gear legs? My lights may be disconnected..  

What is the proper procedure for setting the gyro compass? Do I need to push the test butten to bring it to the proper heading?

I changed the oil and am now using the Phillip X/C 20-50. Is the Phillips X/C oil acceptable for the Housai?

The lowest RPM I get in cruise is 1800. I have adjusted the stop on the prop controller with no change. What should I look for next to setup my prop controller?

Phil
N700HS

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: CJ6 Mods Reply with quote

Phil,
Below is a partial list of CJ mods, pulled up from my rather foggy memory, I am sure I have forgotten some mods and I am also sure that the listers and lurkers can and will add to this short list.  At the risk of not having a 100% accurate list of who is making what or who widget is the best, I have not listed the vendors by name as I don't want to slight anyone.  Most all the vendors do  good job, those that don't are quickly found out.  Ask around, use the list- it's a great tool for this type of thing.

Cleveland Nose gear wheel- helps do away with the nose wheel shimmy and allows easy local replacement of tire and wheel.  Also is a plus because of a small weight savings

Rear canopy seal- helps seal off 90% of the air that enters the cockpit via the rear canopy skirt.

Stainless steel water filter/desiccant air dryer- most stock air dryers are badly corroded inside, this unit runs at the same pressure as the air tanks, in-flight failure could be catastrophic, this mod solves this problem, this is a lifetime fix.

Full stock canopy sets- several US vendors available in light tint or clear.

One piece rear canopy- gives a cleaner look much like T-34

Malcolm hood front canopy- gives more head room, a super deal for us taller guys.

Custom instrument panel- allows for the installation of full IFR stack of radios in the center of the panel, custom panels range from the simple to the insane.  Prices run in the same scale.

Fuel sump tank drain- installation of Cessna style drain in the sump tank that previously had no method for sumping the fuel tanks.

Clean kits- many out there of various designs, some with elect valves, some without, all do a good job of helping to solve the potential hyd lock problem.

Parking brake- to hold the brake while running up, may (although not sold for) stop the aircraft if your break an brake cable or brake handle.

Aux fuel tanks- one type has two 16.5 gallon welded alu tanks which are installed in the stub wings, another has two bladder tanks which replace your existing tanks, this system nets you 12 gallons on each side.  Another system has a small stub tank that is welded on the end of your existing tank netting 6 gallons per side.

Engine breather mod- links front nose case breather and rear case breather with the oil tank to help stop the loss of oil out the vents during acro and or pos G's.

Jacks- Hyd and screw type for use during inspections, not really a mod, but a must if your doing your own maintenance.

Rear fuselage louver/vent- helps vent aft fuselage.

Exhaust systems- Stock CJ has poor quality std steel exhaust which rust/burn out rather quickly.  Stainless steel systems solve this problem.  Several systems are available. Some exit in the normal manner, some exit out the "cheek" of the cowl.  A stock Yak 18T, 360 hp system can easily be modified to fit the 285 hp engine with the only difference being the size of the exhaust nuts.

Stainless steel cabin heat system- this mod is installed in the above SS exhaust system.

B&C alternator- gets rid of the 30 lb generator, a 22 lb savings.  But MUST be installed with a M14P base plate because the HS6A does not have a seal in this area and the oil will destroy the alternator in a very short time.

3 blade propeller for the 285- don't know much about this one.

M14P 360 hp, M14B 320 hp, M462RF 315 hp engine conversions for the CJ- all are good conversions, the rule seems to be more hp = more money.  Propeller types vary for each engine. The P has a flanged crankshaft, the B a splined, the RF a splined.  The nose case on the P and B are interchangeable, allowing either type of propeller to be used.  400 and 450 hp engines are also now available.

Auto spark plugs and harness- several vendors have kits out at this time most all users seem to report good results.

Heavy duty brake handle- this helps stop the breaking problem that the stock CJ brake handle has.

Stainless steel internal parts for the main and emergency air valve- stock valve has std steel parts which quickly become pitted.  Stainless steel stops this problem.

Baggage compartment- many types out there, most good.  Some move battery some do not.

Smoke systems- several vendors make several different designs with different nozzle placement.

Shoulder harnesses- Several vendors make various widths and styles, some with crotch straps, some without, ratchet systems also avail from most.

I will not be on line for the rest of the day, but if you email me off list, or call me at 509-826-4610 I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp [quote] --

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mlbjr(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: CJ6 Mods Reply with quote

Doug....contact me off-list.  Thanks... Marcus Bates, Jr  (mlbjr(at)earthlink.net (mlbjr(at)earthlink.net))

EricWalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: CJ6 Mods Reply with quote

Electronics and such machines of the field are approved for the fastened elements for the field. The prospects of the ‌‌assignment help are involved for the authentic material. The range is defined of humans. Student is expected for the width of the blogs. the margin is placed for the vital paths for candidates. oust is ensured for future times.

AlaskaChang801

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: CJ6 Mods Reply with quote

Doug...

Can you tell me more about the single piece rear canopy?? I'd love to do that. I'm about to do a full replacement of mine and if this is an option I'd like to find out who does it.

Regards Roger.

adom123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: myassignmenthelp Reply with quote

we Ph.D. subject-specific experts provides inimitable assignment help through their knowledge and virtuosity in planning and finalizing academic papers.
https://www.myassignmenthelponline.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: