Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring Harness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsherburn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

What are thoughts on creating the electrical wiring harness? I've attached the embrionic schematic (lot's of final design, editing and cleanup to do) just to convey the simplicity of my Zenith CH750 electrical system.
Specifically, should I:
  1. mock-up (chalk) an outline of the plane, run the requisite wires, label and bundle them (using expandable sleeving or spiral wrap)? ie. complete an entire harness....
  2. or, just run wires one at a time and tie wrap and sheath with an expandable sleeve or spiral wrap them once all of the circuits are wired and tested?
  3. what's best to use in as far as a spiral wrap or expandable sleeve? I've heard the term "snakeskin" used....
Much of the drawing/design/symbols in the attached was gleaned from the AeroElectric Connection....

Regards,
Dan Sherburn

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Overview.PDF
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Overview.PDF
 Filesize:  577.21 KB
 Downloaded:  430 Time(s)

email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

In my case I ran the wires one at a time, building a bundle with wrapping thread ties as necessary to keep the wires parallel. I doubt you would save any time by trying to make a separate harness like the production companies use, unless you are going to start producing them.

On Dec 30, 2011, at 19:16, "Dan Sherburn" <dsherburn(at)att.net (dsherburn(at)att.net)> wrote:

[quote] What are thoughts on creating the electrical wiring harness? I've attached the embrionic schematic (lot's of final design, editing and cleanup to do) just to convey the simplicity of my Zenith CH750 electrical system.
Specifically, should I:
  1. mock-up (chalk) an outline of the plane, run the requisite wires, label and bundle them (using expandable sleeving or spiral wrap)? ie. complete an entire harness....
  2. or, just run wires one at a time and tie wrap and sheath with an expandable sleeve or spiral wrap them once all of the circuits are wired and tested?
  3. what's best to use in as far as a spiral wrap or expandable sleeve? I've heard the term "snakeskin" used....
Much of the drawing/design/symbols in the attached was gleaned from the AeroElectric Connection....

Regards,
Dan Sherburn

<Overview.PDF>
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rleffler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>Seems like more work than necessary. Getting all the physical position relationships seem tough. Remember not all the wires have the same end point locations.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>This is what I did and worked quite well. Just remember to add a little extra for service loops and to give you some flexibility when you go back to start tying up your bundles and installing adel clamps to hold them in place. I used nylon tie wraps with large open loops so that it would hold the bundles in their relative position and it was easy to insert additional wire. When I was done, I came back with lacing and tied the bundles and cut the tie wraps. Then I installed a few adel clamps to keep the bundles secured.
bob

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Sherburn
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 7:17 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Wiring Harness

What are thoughts on creating the electrical wiring harness? I've attached the embrionic schematic (lot's of final design, editing and cleanup to do) just to convey the simplicity of my Zenith CH750 electrical system.

Specifically, should I:

Regards,

Dan Sherburn

[quote][b]

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I find drawing different views helps. You already have a schematic, a location drawing could be useful to allow you to site the components and figure out where the wires will run. You will likely place the starter and master solenoids close together, so it will also give you a feel for how long each wire will be. Draw what the bus bars will look like (will you use a fuse block?), to give yourself an idea of the lay out.

I start by mounting the fuse blocks/buses/breakers and start running wires. It always takes more wire than you think once it is tied down, so do that as you go - very frustrating to cut a wire too short! I have used expandable sleeve, but don't really like spiral wrap unless anti chafe protection is needed. If using expandable sleeve you may have to start feeding wires from the beginning as it may not be possible to feed it over any spurs. If you don't use a sleeve you could use spring clips to hold things in place until everything is run and then tie up with lacing cord.

Hope this helps, Peter

BTW, I'm not sure your alternator output will be very useful wired in as shown - perhaps it should go to the main bus or battery contactor?

On 31/12/2011 00:16, Dan Sherburn wrote: [quote] What are thoughts on creating the electrical wiring harness? I've attached the embrionic schematic (lot's of final design, editing and cleanup to do) just to convey the simplicity of my Zenith CH750 electrical system.
Specifically, should I:

Regards,
Dan Sherburn

[b]

dsherburn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Peter,
Oops....you are correct on the alternator wire. The drawing should have had the output wire of the alternator going to the other side of the starter contactor. Thanks for the catch!
In as far as wiring, I'm thinking you are correct, in as far as the bundle. I'm using a fuse block as the buss and will start running device wires individually from there and then bundle.
As Bob suggests in his book, I'm creating a "wire-book" that has component location drawings, as well as detailed connection drawings I get from manufacturers (like the strobe/
position lights). Thanks again for the note.
Dan

[quote] ---

jimk(at)hdiss.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Dan,I am just starting my wiring diagram on a Tundra w/ IO-360. I have decided to follow Bob's suggestion to use the Z-12 schematic (dual alternators, single battery) and I'm assembling the various parts. While I have worked on the wiring of two Glastars I have never done anything like this and I am looking to our group for ideas. I have Bob's book and continue to study it. His statement about the difference between a 'Schematic' drawing and a 'mechanical' drawing has really hit home. Just knowing which components belong in the engine compartment (contactors, shunts, current limiters, ??) and which to mount on the cockpit side of the firewall and then which to mount on the panel itself would be a great start on doing a mechanical drawing. These thoughts may seem vary 'logical' to those with experience but no so to this novice.
Anyway, I sure appreciate your questions and the answers that have come forth. Since I could not find your schematic on the list I look forward to you sending it direct. I will begin to check the archives for topics on this.
Jim Kinninger
jimk(at)hdiss.net (jimk(at)hdiss.net)

[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

At 12:02 AM 1/2/2012, you wrote:
Dan,
I am just starting my wiring diagram on a Tundra w/ IO-360. I have
decided to follow Bob's suggestion to use the Z-12 schematic (dual
alternators, single battery) and I'm assembling the various parts.
While I have worked on the wiring of two Glastars I have never done
anything like this and I am looking to our group for ideas. I have
Bob's book and continue to study it. His statement about the
difference between a 'Schematic' drawing and a 'mechanical' drawing
has really hit home. Just knowing which components belong in the
engine compartment (contactors, shunts, current limiters, ??) and
which to mount on the cockpit side of the firewall and then which to
mount on the panel itself would be a great start on doing a
mechanical drawing. These thoughts may seem vary 'logical' to those
with experience but no so to this novice.
Anyway, I sure appreciate your questions and the answers that have
come forth. Since I could not find your schematic on the list I look
forward to you sending it direct. I will begin to check the archives
for topics on this.
Jim Kinninger

Consider this also:

I don't think I've written about this before but
it was offered in most if not all of my weekend
seminars.

One problem with crafting bundles 'in place' is
getting the first few wires to hold the shape and
routing in the airplane. Lay out your complex bundle
pathways by laying down supporting guide-wires fabricated from
10AWG single strand copper from Home Depot or similar
supplier. Support the guide-wire on small plastic clamps
using the same holes that will ultimately mount the
final compliment of support clamps.

Build your bundles onto these guide wires using tye-wraps
to bring it all together. Cut of the older wraps as new ones
are added. When you're all done, it's a simple matter to
put the final set of wraps or ties on the bundle after
you've cut the guide-wire from the bundle interior. The
temporary support clamps for the guide-wire are replaced
with the real clamps using the same mounting holes.

Building on top of a guide-wire "skeleton" can go a
long way to having your finished wire bundles look like
they came off a well crafted form board.
Bob . . .

dsherburn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Great idea on how to construct the wire harnes.....Thanks for the
information!
Dan
---

aerobubba(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Radio Shack sels (or usedc to, anyway...) temporary velcro wire bundle tie straps. Very, very convenient and reuseable.

Glen Matejcek

ronr(at)advanceddesign.co

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

How about building the harness on a template. That way it can be built
outside the aircraft tested and inspected before instalation.

Regards

Ron Raby

Lancair ES
---

N20DG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Home Depot and Lowes have them
Dick

In a message dated 1/3/2012 8:37:11 A.M. Central Standard Time, aerobubba(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:
temporary velcro wire bundle tie straps

[quote][b]

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/3/2012 8:37:11 A.M. Central Standard
Time, aerobubba(at)earthlink.net writes:
temporary velcro wire bundle tie straps
I have found that the hook and loop straps used by
many supermarkets to wrap leaf lettuce and other produce are great for
temporary bundle ties, and they are cheap. ☺

Roger

winmail.dat
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  winmail.dat
 Filesize:  3.96 KB
 Downloaded:  399 Time(s)

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

At 09:37 AM 1/3/2012, you wrote:
Quote:

How about building the harness on a template. That way it can be
built outside the aircraft tested and inspected before instalation.

That IS how the 'big' guys do it. But they often build the proof
of concept harness in the airplane, take it out and build
a form-board to match it. Even with full 3-D CAD systems, it's
difficult to build a first-article that really fits the airplane
the way the craftsmen would like it.
Bob . . .

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

In other words, using a template or form board is a mass production
technique. Kind of the opposite of what we are doing in the OBAM world.

Conversely, it would seem reasonable to think we can do a superior job
with our hand built, single craftsman approach. Of course our amateur
skills may cancel out any skilled craftsman advantage.

Bill "reflecting on the joys of OBAM aircraft" Watson
Quote:
>
> How about building the harness on a template. That way it can be
> built outside the aircraft tested and inspected before instalation.

That IS how the 'big' guys do it. But they often build the proof
of concept harness in the airplane, take it out and build
a form-board to match it. Even with full 3-D CAD systems, it's
difficult to build a first-article that really fits the airplane
the way the craftsmen would like it.
Bob . . .

ronr(at)advanceddesign.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Hi Bill, Bob

Actually we build both high volume and low volume harnesses at my company.
Almost all of the harnesses we build use a harness board. Non of the harness
drawings, of the thousands we build were developed with 3d cad, all were
done in 2d. Attached is a small harness drawing with a wire run list in pdf
format for everyone to look at. Qty 2, 4 x 8 sheets of plywood end to end
could simulate the fusalage of most planes. My intension is to give people
ideas that may help. I am not trying to sell anything.
the link is to my website and shows some pictures of completed harnesses.

http://www.advanceddesign.com/products_harnesscable.html

Regards

Ron Raby
---

harness_example_drawing.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  harness_example_drawing.pdf
 Filesize:  1.98 MB
 Downloaded:  563 Time(s)

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Wiring Harness Reply with quote

Nice!
What strikes me about your low volume capabilities is what a colleague
of mine coined some years ago, "Mass Customization". The ability to
take advantage of specialization and mass production down to quantity = 1.

Bill

On 1/4/2012 1:15 PM, Ron Raby wrote:
[quote] Hi Bill, Bob

Actually we build both high volume and low volume harnesses at my
company. Almost all of the harnesses we build use a harness board. Non
of the harness drawings, of the thousands we build were developed with
3d cad, all were done in 2d. Attached is a small harness drawing with
a wire run list in pdf format for everyone to look at. Qty 2, 4 x 8
sheets of plywood end to end could simulate the fusalage of most
planes. My intension is to give people ideas that may help. I am not
trying to sell anything.
the link is to my website and shows some pictures of completed harnesses.

http://www.advanceddesign.com/products_harnesscable.html

Regards

Ron Raby
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: