Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LSA and Special Issuance Waivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerjerry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: LSA and Special Issuance Waivers Reply with quote

LSA and Special Issue Waivers (cont. from RV-9 as LSA)
Hi John,

Once a formal denial I received, you NEED some PROFESSIONAL help in order to restore your flying privileges. Never say never. Often a misstep in the application has caused the rejection. FAA medical criteria is constantly changing, and you definitely require the help of an aviation medical professional who is very experienced in the Special Issuance process to help you navigate the quagmire, and not a BS artist like myself. Fatal (and unnecessary) mistakes are very often made by amateurs when filing out the medical application and providing supporting documents. You need a professional to review ALL supporting documentation submitted to the FAA. The good part is that mistakes of this nature will not be counted against you when again applying. It is my understanding that a new application starts FRESH.

Leftseat.com (Pilot Medical Solutions, Inc.) quickly comes to mind. They have an extensive list of medical conditions with links for additional info here:
http://www.leftseat.com/conditions.htm
They provide an impressive list of Special Issuance waiver success statistics which are categorized for all different medical conditions that is very encouraging here:
http://www.leftseat.com/sistats.htm
Spend some time at their site. I understand that their service is expensive, but they do offer a free consultation. If you have the bucks, I am sure that this is by far the best way to go.

That said, and since I am a cheap SOB, I will give you a lower bucks approach that should be used ONLY if you do NOT have adequate resources for the above plan.

When the FAA asks for additional medical tests for a specific condition (they will), go to a different doctor other than your AME. The FAA will send you a letter with SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS for each test. An example is a stress test which has specific FAA requirements which are different from a regular stress test.

Bring the test requirements and explain exactly what they are to the doctor who will be performing the test and make sure they fully understand. If the doctor who is performing the test does not completely understand all of the test requirements, you may be paying for a test that will only be rejected by the FAA, cost you wasted time and money AND hold up your medical.

Collect ORIGINAL copies of all test results and personally insure they are all complete as compared to the FAA requirements letter.

PERSONALLY send the ORIGINAL documents to the FAA yourself. Photocopy everything you send. Do not bring the documents back to the original AME unless the FAA specifically requests that you do so.

Do it yourself and Keep the middleman out of the picture if at all possible, otherwise your doctor may not send all of the required info or send it late, or send it separately, or lose it, etc, etc. Secondly, your doctor may add a comment on it with something the FAA finds troublesome. Let me restate - just leave out the middleman if at all possible. The best way to think of it is that the FAA sent YOU the requirements and YOU are responsible to meet the requirements and YOU need to get the results back to them. Doing the job yourself is the best way to assure it is done in the time frame required as well as insure all requirements have been met.

I sincerely hope this helps you as well as others in a similar predicament.

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List

racerjerry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: LSA and Special Issuance Waivers Reply with quote

BTW, as others have suggested and especially if you are in the low bucks category or are a cheap SOB like myself, once you are successful in obtaining a Special Issuance waiver and possess a drivers license, think long and hard about giving up your beautiful, safe airplane that you presently own and converting to LSA operation. Think about not ever having to take another damned FAA medical exam again. Talk to others who are undergoing the continual endless and often frustrating process at every renewal time.

My hope was to build a RV-9 and legally operate as Sport Pilot by shedding some weight along with the second seat. Without additional input from Van’s, I am still unsure if this is a truly viable option. One of the greater joys in my life was that my wife often accompanied me flying, but with advancing age and health problems of her own, her continued flying is very doubtful anyway. She has difficulty even climbing into my 172, not to mention an RV.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: LSA and Special Issuance Waivers Reply with quote

Good comments Jerry. The economy approach is exactly what I have used since the stent was inserted 5 years ago. DO-IT-YOURSELF application.

The PROFESSIONAL help may best be saved for the recovery of a lost medical.

John
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: