Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lancair ES questions (ES for sale)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lancair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BERNDSENCO(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Lancair ES questions (ES for sale) Reply with quote

Gary,

I have an ES with the 210 HP IO-360 and really love the airplane.  It will cruise around 170 kts at 9 gph, so it is very economical. Takes a little more runway to take off, so not good for very short strips. I live on a 2500' grass strip and I just have to make sure to take off with light loads and keep an eye on the winds and density altitude. For trips I take off light and then stop at a nearby regular airport to fill up with fuel before heading off cross country. Rate of climb with the IO-360 is less than 1000 fpm, so it takes a little longer to get to altitude.

You will be much better off financially to find an ES that is already flying and buy it, rather than building one from scratch. You will have way over $200K in just parts/equipment invested in one that you build yourself, and then add to that thousands of hours of your time. It is a major undertaking and commitment. Of course, there is nothing more rewarding than flying an airplane you built yourself, but don't go into it thinking you're going to be saving money.

As for the flying qualities of the ES? It is wonderful. A marvelous, stable, comfortable and quiet high speed cruising aircraft. The side sticks are completely natural and take no time getting used to. Once you fly with side sticks you will never want to go back to a conventional yoke or stick. They really free up the cockpit and give you much more room. Nothing blocking the panel, nothing between your legs to interfer with charts or anything else on your lap.....

I don't know if you have looked into the costs of buying an ES kit from Lancair, but just the basic kit (fiberglass parts, gear, basic hardware, etc.) is around $90,000. Then you will need to buy the engine/prop, and associated firewall forward components ($75,000), panel and avionics and wiring/accessories ($50,000), interior finishes & accessories ($20,000), and paint ($20,000). As you can see, the numbers add up in a hurry, and it's not uncommon for you to have $300K to $400K in a well equipped and well built ES.

I'm not trying to talk you out of building an ES, just pointing out the big picture. I am building a Legacy right now (my 3rd airplane project) and I love the process and experience. Just wish I had more time to devote to the project so it would move along quicker.....

If you do want to participate in the building experience, but not invest the time and big $ I suggest you look at buying an ES that is partially completed, or one that is already flying but might need work to finish it out to your personal tastes. You can buy a project ES or one already flying for much less than the costs of the components.

I am going to be putting my ES up for sale shortly as I have a new Cirrus Turbo that I have purchased and will not need two 4-place aircraft. My ES was professionally built in 2003 and has less than 200 hours on it as it was in storage for a number of years with no engine on it. (I had removed and sold the original TCM IO-360 with the intent of upgrading to the bigger IO-550, but that project got put on the back burner) I recently installed a 2007 Cirrus SR20 IO360 engine and prop on it and will put it back into flying status shortly. The Cirrus engine and prop only have 240 hours on them.

My ES is a beautiful and well built aircraft. Has the most beautiful all leather interior I've seen in an ES. Professionally built panel with Garmin radio stack, glass panels, etc. Has won awards. I would be willing to sell the aircraft whole, with fresh annual for $150K, or would part it out selling the completed airframe, firewall forward, and panel separately if someone wanted to do a different engine configuration or different panel setup. I have available the new IO-550 ES engine mount, baffling kit, and a used IO-550 with 850 hours TT or a brand new 0-time performance rebuilt IO-550 that I could sell with the airframe also if you wanted to go with the big engine.

Contact me directly if you are interested in any of the above. I live in Atlanta.

Jon Berndsen
404-787-7472

In a message dated 11/1/2010 3:03:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lancair-list(at)matronics.com writes:
[quote]*

==================================================
Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
==================================================

Today's complete Lancair-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Lancair-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2010-10-31&Archive=Lancair

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2010-10-31&Archive=Lancair
================================================
  EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
================================================
----------------------------------------------------------
  Lancair-List Digest Archive
  ---
  Total Messages Posted Sun 10/31/10: 8
  ----------------------------------------------------------
Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 06:02 AM - Lancair ES (GARY PENNINGTON)
2. 06:59 AM - Re: Lancair ES (tom.on.the.road(at)juno.com)
3. 09:03 AM - Re: Lancair ES (Brian Alley)
4. 01:21 PM - Re: Lancair ES (GARY PENNINGTON)
5. 04:33 PM - Re: Lancair ES (Bill Bradburry)
6. 04:43 PM - Re: Lancair ES (GARY PENNINGTON)
7. 04:56 PM - =?ISO-8859-1?Q?RE=3A_Lancair-List=3A_Lancair_ES? (Nicholas Paczkowski)
8. 09:24 PM - Re: Lancair ES (Rick Titsworth)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________
Time: 06:02:38 AM PST US
Subject: Lancair ES

Hello everyone

I am thinking of building a Lancair ES. In fact, I have been evaluating
a partially built kit that is for sale.

I'm wondering what is the smallest engine that has been successfully
used and what climb, cruise and economy that could be expected from it.

Also, how well does the ES fly. Are there any little quirks with the ES
that is a concern? How difficult is it to get used to the side sticks?

Can anyone advise me?

Thank you.
Gary Pennington

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________
Time: 06:59:35 AM PST US
From: "tom.on.the.road(at)juno.com" <tom.on.the.road(at)juno.com>
Subject: Re: Lancair ES

Gary,

I have a kit (mostly completed) for sale.

The ES was originally designed for the Cont. 360 (210 HP).. Many were b
uilt. and fly well. Some folks have put Lycomings in (6 cyl.) and they d
o well too.

With the IO-550, you can run lean of peak on less than 12 gph at 180-185
knots.

Call, if you're interested in my kit.

Tom 970-420-1798

________________________________ Message 3 _____________________________________
Time: 09:03:31 AM PST US

Gary, I've built one ES and have two
in my shop in Ona, WV. If I can help
or if you want to come by, give me
a call

Sent from my iPhone
Brian Alley
carbonfibercomposites.net
304-395-4932

On Oct 31, 2010, at 8:59 AM, "GARY PENNINGTON" <pennington(at)q.com> wrote:

Quote:
Hello everyone

I am thinking of building a Lancair ES. In fact, I have been evaluating a p
artially built kit that is for sale.

Quote:

I'm wondering what is the smallest engine that has been successfully used a
nd what climb, cruise and economy that could be expected from it.

Quote:

Also, how well does the ES fly. Are there any little quirks with the ES th
at is a concern? How difficult is it to get used to the side sticks?

Quote:

Can anyone advise me?

Thank you.
Gary Pennington

==========================

=========
=========
=========
=========
Quote:

________________________________ Message 4 _____________________________________
Time: 01:21:59 PM PST US

Hello Brian

Thank you so much for your response.

I currently have a 1998 Piper Archer III. I just listed it for sale so I
can build an ES. I'd like to sell the Archer and build an ES for the
same amount of money. To keep the cost down, I would like to use an
O-360, 210 horsepower engine in the ES. I'm wondering if it would
perform well.

Have you had any problems with the main gear legs? Any shimmy? Any fuel
delivery problems or leakage? Does the plane handle well? Is it
difficult to get used to the side sticks?

Thanks again Brian

Gary Pennington
---

- The Matronics Lancair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lancair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lancair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: