Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changer Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrblackc2003(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

Wondering what my options are when considering changers for a C90/4000x system. I am already aware of the 828/838/848x digital changers, and currently own an 848x but lately after cancelling my XM radio service due to terrible quality, I've been craving a bit more variety and am wondering about mp3 changer options. The only one I'm aware of is the 757mx which seems like it would work fine, but I was wondering if any of you have first hand experience with this or another changer that plays mp3's. Would like to hear your opinions on functionality (such as the list function and does it work well when playing an mp3 disc). I know that mp3's aren't optimal in an SQ focused system, but they're far better than the crap signal that XM has been broadcasting lately and I'd like to have easier access to more of my albums within reach of the remote. =)

Also, I am wondering how well this would integrate into my system when used in conjunction with an xa-c30 adapter. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to connect my 848x to my 4000x optically, and the 2nd changer into the 4000x's analog inputs and still be able to control the two using the xa-c30? Since the 848x sends out a signal that tells the system whether it's digital or not, it would seem the input on the 4000x would cycle from digital to analog depending on which source I select. Can anyone verify this or am I wrong? I do not want to lose the use of the digital output of my current changer with this addition, and the xau40d is far too hard to find for it to be a feasable option.

---------------------------------
Brings words and photos together (easily) with

- The Matronics XDP4000X-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

"MrBlackC2003",

First, to answer your question, yes, you can intermix Analog and Digital components (CD Changers, etc) and each will be detected correctly on the 4000x as far as inputs are concerned. The respective component sends a signal to the Master HU on init saying what input type it prefers. The 4000x over hears this and switches on the appropriate input when that component is selected.

As far as MP3 options are concerned for your C90/4000x, there's only really one option right now as far as I'm concerned: Check out the Phatbox by Phatnoise - http://www.phatnoise.com/

I have two of these, one on each of my two C90/4000x systems and love them. With 120GB 2.5" drives available now, you can get a whole wad of music on them. I have my complete CD collection of about 1400 CDs on one 80 GB cartridge. Very very nice. There's even a hack available on the Internet now that allows you to use after-market OEM hard drives with the Phatbox, instead of their over priced ones. Depending, you might want to just get the cheap 20GB version of the Phatbox, and then get your own 80, 100, or 120GB OEM drive and apply the PhatHack kernel mods ( http://www.phathack.com/ ). Works great!

I completely agree, by the way, regarding XM Radio. It's become quite horrible. I've sent them many an email bemoaning the quality, and always seem to get a answer back that implies that I've somehow got my system configured incorrectly! "Its digital quality", they always say, "there can't be a problem with the quality if you're getting a signal." Idiots.

I've recently discovered http://www.di.fm which has up to 192kbps streams and some *awesome* content if you've got an Internet connection handy. Check them out.

Matt Dralle
At 03:25 PM 3/21/2006 Tuesday, you wrote:
Quote:

Wondering what my options are when considering changers for a C90/4000x system. I am already aware of the 828/838/848x digital changers, and currently own an 848x but lately after cancelling my XM radio service due to terrible quality, I've been craving a bit more variety and am wondering about mp3 changer options. The only one I'm aware of is the 757mx which seems like it would work fine, but I was wondering if any of you have first hand experience with this or another changer that plays mp3's. Would like to hear your opinions on functionality (such as the list function and does it work well when playing an mp3 disc). I know that mp3's aren't optimal in an SQ focused system, but they're far better than the crap signal that XM has been broadcasting lately and I'd like to have easier access to more of my albums within reach of the remote. =)

Also, I am wondering how well this would integrate into my system when used in conjunction with an xa-c30 adapter. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to connect my 848x to my 4000x optically, and the 2nd changer into the 4000x's analog inputs and still be able to control the two using the xa-c30? Since the 848x sends out a signal that tells the system whether it's digital or not, it would seem the input on the 4000x would cycle from digital to analog depending on which source I select. Can anyone verify this or am I wrong? I do not want to lose the use of the digital output of my current changer with this addition, and the xau40d is far too hard to find for it to be a feasable option.

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mrblackc2003(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

Sounds like a great option, but it doesn't seem to be an easy find when looking for a Sony configured Phatbox, and the one on the official site goes for $599!! That's just too pricey if you ask me. Plus, is it just my connection or does the Phathack site and forum seem to be down? I'd have a spare 80 gb 2.5" drive at my disposal already so if I could find a relatively decent priced unit in good shape this seems like it would be the way to go. Another question, how well does this unit integrate with Sony's CD-Text system and MP3 ID3 tags.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can buy one of the more affordable OEM Phatbox's that are readily available on Ebay and just purchase an adapter cable for the Unilink connection and then find a way to reconfigure it somehow to work with my system. But I'm having a hard time finding the info I need, this is all new to me.

Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com> wrote:

"MrBlackC2003",

First, to answer your question, yes, you can intermix Analog and Digital components (CD Changers, etc) and each will be detected correctly on the 4000x as far as inputs are concerned. The respective component sends a signal to the Master HU on init saying what input type it prefers. The 4000x over hears this and switches on the appropriate input when that component is selected.

As far as MP3 options are concerned for your C90/4000x, there's only really one option right now as far as I'm concerned: Check out the Phatbox by Phatnoise - http://www.phatnoise.com/

I have two of these, one on each of my two C90/4000x systems and love them. With 120GB 2.5" drives available now, you can get a whole wad of music on them. I have my complete CD collection of about 1400 CDs on one 80 GB cartridge. Very very nice. There's even a hack available on the Internet now that allows you to use after-market OEM hard drives with the Phatbox, instead of their over priced ones. Depending, you might want to just get the cheap 20GB version of the Phatbox, and then get your own 80, 100, or 120GB OEM drive and apply the PhatHack kernel mods ( http://www.phathack.com/ ). Works great!

I completely agree, by the way, regarding XM Radio. It's become quite horrible. I've sent them many an email bemoaning the quality, and always seem to get a answer back that implies that I've somehow got my system configured incorrectly! "Its digital quality", they always say, "there can't be a problem with the quality if you're getting a signal." Idiots.

I've recently discovered http://www.di.fm which has up to 192kbps streams and some *awesome* content if you've got an Internet connection handy. Check them out.

Matt Dralle
Quote:

Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

At 05:00 PM 3/21/2006 Tuesday, you wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like a great option, but it doesn't seem to be an easy find when looking for a Sony configured Phatbox, and the one on the official site goes for $599!! That's just too pricey if you ask me. Plus, is it just my connection or does the Phathack site and forum seem to be down? I'd have a spare 80 gb 2.5" drive at my disposal already so if I could find a relatively decent priced unit in good shape this seems like it would be the way to go. Another question, how well does this unit integrate with Sony's CD-Text system and MP3 ID3 tags.

Actually, it today's world, $599 isn't too bad of a price. Consider that you get not only the unit itself, but a hard drive, and a USB cradle.

Yes, the Sony version of the Phatnoise supports full CD-Text so you'll get song title, artist, etc. up on the C90 display. What you see is configurable in the Windows application that comes with the Phatbox.
Quote:

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can buy one of the more affordable OEM Phatbox's that are readily available on Ebay and just purchase an adapter cable for the Unilink connection and then find a way to reconfigure it somehow to work with my system. But I'm having a hard time finding the info I need, this is all new to me.

Look for a Kenwood model. I believe these most closely resemble the Sony version. Basically, the only real difference is the HU firmware and this can be upgraded to whatever HU protocol you want through the Windows application. The other thing is the cable. There is a generic connector on the Phatbox, and they supply a cable that connects to the system of your choice. I think I have a pin out document somewhere where you can wire from the generic connector to a Sony Unilink connector. You'll basically just have to take a standard Unilink patch cord and cut one end off.

Phatnoise took their Forum off line when the PhatHack guys started trying to crack in to the phatbox and were using the forum to share status information. The PhatHack guys then started they're own Forum and Wiki (www.phathack.com) and you can find all the hack information there. Also, the PhatHack boys now have a bootable CD ISO image available that allows you to patch your Phatbox kernel to work with OEM drives. Very cool. Works great.

Matt Dralle
Quote:

"MrBlackC2003",

Matt Dralle
>
>
>Wondering what my options are when considering changers for a C90/4000x system. I am already aware of the 828/838/848x digital changers, and currently own an 848x but lately after cancelling my XM radio service due to terrible quality, I've been craving a bit more variety and am wondering about mp3 changer options. The only one I'm aware of is the 757mx which seems like it would work fine, but I was wondering if any of you have first hand experience with this or another changer that plays mp3's. Would like to hear your opinions on functionality (such as the list function and does it work well when playing an mp3 disc). I know that mp3's aren't optimal in an SQ focused system, but they're far better than the crap signal that XM has been broadcasting lately and I'd like to have easier access to more of my albums within reach of the remote. =)
>
> Also, I am wondering how well this would integrate into my system when used in conjunction with an xa-c30 adapter. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to connect my 848x to my 4000x optically, and the 2nd changer into the 4000x's analog inputs and still be able to control the two using the xa-c30? Since the 848x sends out a signal that tells the system whether it's digital or not, it would seem the input on the 4000x would cycle from digital to analog depending on which source I select. Can anyone verify this or am I wrong? I do not want to lose the use of the digital output of my current changer with this addition, and the xau40d is far too hard to find for it to be a feasable option.
>
>
>---------------------------------
>Brings words and photos together (easily) with
>

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

I am more interested in the mobile media that they are doing now. Does anyone know if they are planning to support the cdx-c90 with a TV tuner

Quote:

Actually, it today's world, $599 isn't too bad of a price. Consider that you get not only the unit itself, but a hard drive, and a USB cradle.

Yes, the Sony version of the Phatnoise supports full CD-Text so you'll get song title, artist, etc. up on the C90 display. What you see is configurable in the Windows application that comes with the Phatbox.
Quote:

Look for a Kenwood model. I believe these most closely resemble the Sony version. Basically, the only real difference is the HU firmware and this can be upgraded to whatever HU protocol you want through the Windows application. The other thing is the cable. There is a generic connector on the Phatbox, and they supply a cable that connects to the system of your choice. I think I have a pin out document somewhere where you can wire from the generic connector to a Sony Unilink connector. You'll basically just have to take a standard Unilink patch cord and cut one end off.

Phatnoise took their Forum off line when the PhatHack guys started trying to crack in to the phatbox and were using the forum to share status information. The PhatHack guys then started they're own Forum and Wiki (www.phathack.com) and you can find all the hack information there. Also, the PhatHack boys now have a bootable CD ISO image available that allows you to patch your Phatbox kernel to work with OEM drives. Very cool. Works great.

Matt Dralle
Quote:
Matt Dralle wrote:

"MrBlackC2003",

Matt Dralle
>
>
>Wondering what my options are when considering changers for a C90/4000x system. I am already aware of the 828/838/848x digital changers, and currently own an 848x but lately after cancelling my XM radio service due to terrible quality, I've been craving a bit more variety and am wondering about mp3 changer options. The only one I'm aware of is the 757mx which seems like it would work fine, but I was wondering if any of you have first hand experience with this or another changer that plays mp3's. Would like to hear your opinions on functionality (such as the list function and does it work well when playing an mp3 disc). I know that mp3's aren't optimal in an SQ focused system, but they're far better than the crap signal that XM has been broadcasting lately and I'd like to have easier access to more of my albums within reach of the remote. =)
>
> Also, I am wondering how well this would integrate into my system when used in conjunction with an xa-c30 adapter. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to connect my 848x to my 4000x optically, and the 2nd changer into the 4000x's analog inputs and still be able to control the two using the xa-c30? Since the 848x sends out a signal that tells the system whether it's digital or not, it would seem the input on the 4000x would cycle from digital to analog depending on which source I select. Can anyone verify this or am I wrong? I do not want to lose the use of the digital output of my current changer with this addition, and the xau40d is far too hard to find for it to be a feasable option.
>
>
>Brings words and photos together (easily) with
>

jtholley03(at)adelphia.ne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

They had one when the C90 was new Smile I will find my brochure and email a pdf.

jtholley03
---- Scott Thibault <tbone7467(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

I am more interested in the mobile media that they are doing now. Does anyone know if they are planning to support the cdx-c90 with a TV tuner

>
>
>Sounds like a great option, but it doesn't seem to be an easy find when looking for a Sony configured Phatbox, and the one on the official site goes for $599!! That's just too pricey if you ask me. Plus, is it just my connection or does the Phathack site and forum seem to be down? I'd have a spare 80 gb 2.5" drive at my disposal already so if I could find a relatively decent priced unit in good shape this seems like it would be the way to go. Another question, how well does this unit integrate with Sony's CD-Text system and MP3 ID3 tags.

>
> Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can buy one of the more affordable OEM Phatbox's that are readily available on Ebay and just purchase an adapter cable for the Unilink connection and then find a way to reconfigure it somehow to work with my system. But I'm having a hard time finding the info I need, this is all new to me.

Matt Dralle

>Matt Dralle wrote:
>
>
>
>
>"MrBlackC2003",
>
>First, to answer your question, yes, you can intermix Analog and Digital components (CD Changers, etc) and each will be detected correctly on the 4000x as far as inputs are concerned. The respective component sends a signal to the Master HU on init saying what input type it prefers. The 4000x over hears this and switches on the appropriate input when that component is selected.
>
>As far as MP3 options are concerned for your C90/4000x, there's only really one option right now as far as I'm concerned: Check out the Phatbox by Phatnoise - http://www.phatnoise.com/
>
>I have two of these, one on each of my two C90/4000x systems and love them. With 120GB 2.5" drives available now, you can get a whole wad of music on them. I have my complete CD collection of about 1400 CDs on one 80 GB cartridge. Very very nice. There's even a hack available on the Internet now that allows you to use after-market OEM hard drives with the Phatbox, instead of their over priced ones. Depending, you might want to just get the cheap 20GB version of the Phatbox, and then get your own 80, 100, or 120GB OEM drive and apply the PhatHack kernel mods ( http://www.phathack.com/ ). Works great!
>
>I completely agree, by the way, regarding XM Radio. It's become quite horrible. I've sent them many an email bemoaning the quality, and always seem to get a answer back that implies that I've somehow got my system configured incorrectly! "Its digital quality", they always say, "there can't be a problem with the quality if you're getting a signal." Idiots.
>
>I've recently discovered http://www.di.fm which has up to 192kbps streams and some *awesome* content if you've got an Internet connection handy. Check them out.
>
>Matt Dralle
>
>
>
>
>
>
>At 03:25 PM 3/21/2006 Tuesday, you wrote:
>>
>>
>>Wondering what my options are when considering changers for a C90/4000x system. I am already aware of the 828/838/848x digital changers, and currently own an 848x but lately after cancelling my XM radio service due to terrible quality, I've been craving a bit more variety and am wondering about mp3 changer options. The only one I'm aware of is the 757mx which seems like it would work fine, but I was wondering if any of you have first hand experience with this or another changer that plays mp3's. Would like to hear your opinions on functionality (such as the list function and does it work well when playing an mp3 disc). I know that mp3's aren't optimal in an SQ focused system, but they're far better than the crap signal that XM has been broadcasting lately and I'd like to have easier access to more of my albums within reach of the remote. =)
>>
>> Also, I am wondering how well this would integrate into my system when used in conjunction with an xa-c30 adapter. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to connect my 848x to my 4000x optically, and the 2nd changer into the 4000x's analog inputs and still be able to control the two using the xa-c30? Since the 848x sends out a signal that tells the system whether it's digital or not, it would seem the input on the 4000x would cycle from digital to analog depending on which source I select. Can anyone verify this or am I wrong? I do not want to lose the use of the digital output of my current changer with this addition, and the xau40d is far too hard to find for it to be a feasable option.
>>
>>
>>---------------------------------
>>Brings words and photos together (easily) with
>>
>
>
>
>Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
>925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
>http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.
>

telmnstr(at)757.org

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

Quote:
They had one when the C90 was new Smile I will find my brochure and email a pdf.
jtholley03

I use a Sony XT-40V. As long as the C90 has DSP and TV Tuner controls you
should be good. If you connect the XT-40V to a head unit that does not
specifically say it will drive the XT-40V, then the XT-40V will only
display the data on the unilink bus (song / radio titles and what not),
and you will never be able to source over to the TV/Video input.

I'm installing a "soft modded" XBox with the XBMC (XBoxMediaCenter) for
playback in my car. It supports a wide variet of formats.

I'm getting a bit of noise from the inverter (I really didn't want to use
an inverter). I'd love to use the TOSLink input on the 210EQ, but it's not
going to happen. So I'm thinking about building my own SPDIF to analog
board, and using that for the audio input to the analog inputs on the
XT-40V.

I've heard that the 4000 adds a bit of a delay while it does it's DSP
processing which throws video off a bit. I'm sure there is a way to delay
the video though, to align things back up.

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Changer Options Reply with quote

No hahahha!! I mean I hope phat noise makes one of those mobile media devices for the cdx-c90 and the Xt-v40 unit.

telmnstr(at)757.org wrote:
Quote:
jtholley03

I use a Sony XT-40V. As long as the C90 has DSP and TV Tuner controls you
should be good. If you connect the XT-40V to a head unit that does not
specifically say it will drive the XT-40V, then the XT-40V will only
display the data on the unilink bus (song / radio titles and what not),
and you will never be able to source over to the TV/Video input.

I'm installing a "soft modded" XBox with the XBMC (XBoxMediaCenter) for
playback in my car. It supports a wide variet of formats.

I'm getting a bit of noise from the inverter (I really didn't want to use
an inverter). I'd love to use the TOSLink input on the 210EQ, but it's not
going to happen. So I'm thinking about building my own SPDIF to analog
board, and using that for the audio input to the analog inputs on the
XT-40V.

I've heard that the 4000 adds a bit of a delay while it does it's DSP
processing which throws video off a bit. I'm sure there is a way to delay
the video though, to align things back up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: