Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

De-preservation of new M14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

I am getting ready to turn the crank shaft for the first time on a new M14 (Russian preservation).  Of course the mags have been de-preserved and the compressor also.  

The manual then talks about removing plugs, manifold drains, etc.   It also mentions moving to TDC and sucking oil out of the top cylinder with a syringe.  Then hooking up fuel pressure to clean out the carburetor, etc..

Are you guys finding it necessary to suck out the top cylinders with a syringe?  Seems I could pull it through with no plugs and then even spin it up with the air with no plugs?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

I did not move to TDC and suck any oil out.

I did not clean out the carb.

Made sure there was no oil or preservative in there.  Closed up everything and fired it up.  Of course, ran through about three tanks of air and a lot of hand propping, but it fired up w/ no problems within maybe 10 min of moving the prop for the first time.

Ted
[quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

If you've rotated the engine without the plugs and there is no evidence of oil in the top cylinder, then I wouldn't worry about it.  When you de-preserved the magnetos, did you remove the top cover, lift the distribution cap and make sure there was no pieces of oil soaked cheesecloth type material in and around the cam?
Dennis
[quote] ---

ScottA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.

Yes the oil soaked cheesecloth was in there and I did remove it.  Also added some oil to the lubrication fitting cup and its wick (this engine preserved new in 1993 – all dehydrator plugs still blue, amazing).

Any other de-preservation pitfalls you can think of?

I know the cloth has been left in the magnetos before.

Thanks again,
Scott

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:58 AM
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: M14PEngines-List: De-preservation of new M14

If you've rotated the engine without the plugs and there is no evidence of oil in the top cylinder, then I wouldn't worry about it.  When you de-preserved the magnetos, did you remove the top cover, lift the distribution cap and make sure there was no pieces of oil soaked cheesecloth type material in and around the cam?

Dennis
[quote]
---

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

From what I've read, I think you've got it covered.
Dennis

[quote] ---

KJKimball(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

We do the mags and check the cylinders as others have pointed out but always do the carb de-preservation too.  Doesn't take long and you sure get a bunch of oil and crap out of the various holes in the carb.  We have found the engine much easier to start the first time when the carb treatment is done.

KK

ScottA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

Thanks, I have read that task card and will check it again.  Lots of little steps blowing air and fuel through various parts if I recall.

.5kgf/cm2 is about 7 psi, correct?

Scott

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KJKimball(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:59 AM

We do the mags and check the cylinders as others have pointed out but always do the carb de-preservation too.  Doesn't take long and you sure get a bunch of oil and crap out of the various holes in the carb.  We have found the engine much easier to start the first time when the carb treatment is done.

KK

fredm(at)cisco.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Be sure you take videos/pics.   I'm waiting/watching very intently!  

Fred

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:21 AM
Subject: RE: M14PEngines-List: De-preservation of new M14

Thanks, I have read that task card and will check it again.  Lots of little steps blowing air and fuel through various parts if I recall.

.5kgf/cm2 is about 7 psi, correct?

Scott

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KJKimball(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:59 AM

KK

KJKimball(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

Scott,

It doesn't take much pressure to open the circuits in the carb.  We normally use a small piece of 1/4" plastic tubing to apply the pressure by blowing into it.  Typically, it is best to get an assistant to do this for you so you can make the wise cracks about their lips on one and of the hose with the other end stuck in the carb hole! 

KK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: