Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable load on rear rib 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalemed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Cable load on rear rib 7 Reply with quote

I'm in the process of attaching the Bellcrank Support and Bellcrank Support Channel to Rear Rib 7. I can't help but wonder how RR7 supports 70 (+/-10) lbs of cable force (each cable pulling with 30 (+/-5) lbs.).

It's Saturday or I'd call the factory to ask them if it might be wise to add L angle doublers to the Bellcrank Support Channel.

Am I unnecessarily concerned?

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

leo(at)zuehlfield.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Cable load on rear rib 7 Reply with quote

dalemed wrote:
Quote:

I'm in the process of attaching the Bellcrank Support and Bellcrank Support Channel to Rear Rib 7. I can't help but wonder how RR7 supports 70 (+/-10) lbs of cable force (each cable pulling with 30 (+/-5) lbs.).

I believe that is only 30 +/- 5 lbs pull on the rib.

Quote:
It's Saturday or I'd call the factory to ask them if it might be wise to add L angle doublers to the Bellcrank Support Channel.

--------
Dale
Flying Cessna 170B
Building Zenith 601XL

Leo Gates

N601Z - CH601HDS TDO
Rotax 912UL

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable load on rear rib 7 Reply with quote

I don't think it would create a combined load like that because the other end is also dealing with half of the tension. It is just 30 (+/-5) lbs.

dalemed wrote:

pavel569

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cable load on rear rib 7 Reply with quote

It seems that very soon we will be questioning every single rivet on the plane that is flying in numbers for years already. Keep building according to plans and we'll be fine, IMHO.

Before I riveted the rudder together, I just wondered how this sheet of zerozeronothing aluminum can turn the plane. Try to bend your rudder after its done Wink
dalemed wrote:

Stratus Subaru EA-81
Tail, flaps, ailerons, wings, fuselage, canopy done ...
"do not archive"
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Cable load on rear rib 7 Reply with quote

Yes, you are being unnecessarily concerned. It may look flimsy with just the skeleton laying there in your workbench but you'll be amazed how much more solid everything gets after the skins get riveted on. I've never heard of any problems in that area and the fleet has accumulated thousands of hours. Build it to plans and fight the urge to add structure and weight where none is needed. You would also be amazed at how quickly those little modifications can add excess weight to the final assembly.

dalemed wrote:
Quote:

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

[quote][b]

do not archive.
dalemed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable load on rear rib 7 Reply with quote

I obviously have a problem with addition - 30+30=60, not 70 lbs. However, I think the rib really does see 60 lbs of force (30 lbs each cable).

Thanks to everyone who's reminded me that a lot of planes have flown for a lot of hours with this design without problems. I'll just go back to building Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: