Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flanging Dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenith-list(at)steensland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Fellow builders,

I am trying to get a little ahead on the wings and have my dad build the
ribs for my 601xl. However, I have been looking around and flanging
dies are hard to come by unless you want to make them out of wood (which
is completely doable). I had a local machine shop quote me for all 4
and they want $2300+ for the set! After I got done laughing, I starting
thinking of alternatives. There are about 10k+ ways to skin this cat,
but I figured I'd see if anyone had a set for loan?
--
Lee Steensland
601XL/Corvair (7637L reserved) Kit/Scratch builder 0.1% complete!

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

A slotted stick works really well for bending the flanges on
lightening holes. I made one out of very fancy Russian 1/2" Russian
plywood. I don't know my actual cost but it was probably something
around a nickel.

Flanging dies are very nice if you are running a kit building factory
and don't really care how close the results are to the finished
needs. After bending the flanges with a die you still need to use
the slotted stick to adjust the final bend to get a truly flat rib
web. In the kit case this final step is left to the final kit builder.

The problem is there is spring-back of the metal after being stamped
with the flanging dies. This causes the rib web to spring back as
well and you get warped webs around the hole. This is easy to
relieve with the slotted stick by bending the flange a little further
than the position it comes out of the die. You just work your way
around the hole bending a little bit while watching the flatness of
the web against your work bench. You will probably want to perform a
similar bending operation on the outside flange of each rib for the
same reasons.

For scratch builders, you can do the same operation after cutting the
hole with the slotted stick and just skip the flanging die
altogether. This will take an extra minute or so for each lightening hole.

Good luck,

Paul
XL getting close
At 05:06 PM 10/23/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Fellow builders,

I am trying to get a little ahead on the wings and have my dad build
the ribs for my 601xl. However, I have been looking around and
flanging dies are hard to come by unless you want to make them out
of wood (which is completely doable). I had a local machine shop
quote me for all 4 and they want $2300+ for the set! After I got
done laughing, I starting thinking of alternatives. There are about
10k+ ways to skin this cat, but I figured I'd see if anyone had a set for loan?
--
Lee Steensland
601XL/Corvair (7637L reserved) Kit/Scratch builder 0.1% complete!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

naumuk(at)alltel.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Lee-
I believe Gary Boothe posted instructions on how to make them out of
wood that should be in the archives.
Bill
---

carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Recently (a few weeks ago?) someone had a set available for loan.
I don't remember on which of the Z lists, you would have to search the archives...

Good luck

Carlos
CH601-HD, plans

2008/10/23 Lee Steensland <zenith-list(at)steensland.net (zenith-list(at)steensland.net)>
[quote] --> Zenith601-List message posted by: Lee Steensland <zenith-list(at)steensland.net (zenith-list(at)steensland.net)>

Fellow builders,

I am trying to get a little ahead on the wings and have my dad build the ribs for my 601xl. However, I have been looking around and flanging dies are hard to come by unless you want to make them out of wood (which is completely doable). I had a local machine shop quote me for all 4 and they want $2300+ for the set! After I got done laughing, I starting thinking of alternatives. There are about 10k+ ways to skin this cat, but I figured I'd see if anyone had a set for loan?

--
Lee Steensland[b]

n4546v(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Do not archive

Are there now four flanging die sizes needed for the 601? There used to be three; 65, 95, 115. What's new?

Regards,

Randy, Las Vegas

[quote] I had a local machine shop quote me for all 4 and they want $2300+

[b]

sky_ranger161

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Hey Lee,

Just for another perspective, I'll throw in my two cents. Making the dies out of locally available oak (like at Home Depot) is really not too hard, although it does require a lathe. I bet you could get a high school shop class to turn yours for less than $2300. (LOL - I was floored by that - sounds like you were too.) If you check my Kitlog site, there are some pretty good pictures that detail how I glued mine up and turned them. I'm including the link below.

I must not have been doing something right with the "slotted stick" method. I've read plenty of guys who had luck with it, but mine always ended up looking like hell. BTW, my dies are in use or you could use them - still can if you want to wait a little while.

I have noticed that some people mention an "oil-canning" or bowing of the webs that I never experienced. I've come to suspect that most people who got that result did one of two things...

1.) Either their dies never included, or had an ill-formed "shelf" portion at the top of the die - the part that actually straightens the web back out to 90-degrees after flanging the hole. I've seen people make the beveled part of the die with a router bit and never include the flat "shelf." An early experiment of mine didn't have the flat part, and they bowed the webs like crazy. The little flat part at the top is very important.

2.) Their dies included the flat shelf, but they never hauled-off and whacked the die as hard as you need to to straighten it out properly.

I've said it before, I'm no expert - just offering another opinion. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Debo Cox
Nags Head, NC
Scratchbuilt XL/Corvair
Airframe 85% complete
www.mykitlog.com/debo

TxDave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Flanging Dies Reply with quote

There are plans for dies on the ch601.org web site. I was fortunate enough to have Debo's dies.

Dave Clay
Temple, TX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: