Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stab Top AFT rivet line (elevator hinge and outboard of that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkeast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Stab Top AFT rivet line (elevator hinge and outboard of that Reply with quote

Hey List!

The instructions, and drawings call for an A4 Pitch 40 rivet line on the elevator hinge and the rest of the top aft spar...this all works well inside the outboard ribs (line up), but outboard of the outboard ribs, the pitch of the rivet,line on the front spar is something less than 40....am I supposed to match that, or just not meet up with the outer tip rib rivet line? Your help is appreciated...take your time...its 108 today, and even with the swamp cooler, it's not pleasant in the garage Wink

Peter

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Ron Lendon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stab Top AFT rivet line (elevator hinge and outboard of Reply with quote

The ribs are the bible. Locate and drill them to the dimensions on the print. The outboard rib rivet line is in 8mm then the next inboard rib rivet line is 490mm, the next ribs are dimensioned 162mm from the centerline.

The 40mm spacing is approximate and can be done with a rivet fan. Some of my rivet 40mm spacing is actually 37mm. Line up the hinge and mark in 8 or 10mm in from the ends and start your hinge rivet spacing from there back to the next inboard rib.

Hope that helps,

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N601LT - Flying
http://www.mykitlog.com/rlendon
Corvair Engine Prints:
https://sites.google.com/site/corvairenginedata/
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Stab Top AFT rivet line (elevator hinge and outboard of that Reply with quote

The spacing called for in the plans is an approximate value. The
rivets should be evenly spaced as close to the suggested distance
apart as practical. This is where a rivet fan is a handy tool to have.
The rivet lines should look good when you're done. In most cases,
there are more rivets than strictly needed for strength, so a small
adjustment for looks is not critical.

On Jun 10, 2008, at 9:43 PM, pkeast wrote:
Quote:

Hey List!

The instructions, and drawings call for an A4 Pitch 40 rivet line on
the elevator hinge and the rest of the top aft spar...this all works
well inside the outboard ribs (line up), but outboard of the
outboard ribs, the pitch of the rivet,line on the front spar is
something less than 40....am I supposed to match that, or just not
meet up with the outer tip rib rivet line? Your help is
appreciated...take your time...its 108 today, and even with the
swamp cooler, it's not pleasant in the garage Wink

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
w8n2bup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stab Top AFT rivet line (elevator hinge and outboard of Reply with quote

This was probably the most frustrating step on my whole project and could easily have been avoided. The photo guide calls for you to lay out the rivet line as they indicate. I used pictures to figure out the adjustments needed and it turned out very well......only latter, I found out that the holes were PREDRILLED in the skin going into the other side of the piano hindge(and not in the same pattern) and I could have simply lined up the two skins of the elevator and the horizontal stabilizer and had a perfect match of rivets across from one another. The next step in the photo guide says to mark these holes straight across to the next skin to make a match BUT, they are now predrilled for you so you can't do this. I know that structurally mine is fine, but I sure wish I had noticed the predrilled holes in the following section and matched them back in the fist section. It would look a lot more uniform to have had them straight across from each other.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: