Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front fuselage skins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davcoberly(at)wmconnect.c

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: front fuselage skins Reply with quote

Just wondered if anyone has had any trouble getting their new prepunched/cut front fuselage skins to fit right. Mine if I line up the precut spar hole then the aft rivet line is aft of the rear attach plate which has to rivet to the seat back channel which is forward of the attach plate also the baggage rivet holes are off. If you get these right the main spar and upright angle rivet holes are off 10 mm or more. I have measured and measured and I can find nowhere I'm off. Just thought some others might be having problems with these new skins. David Coberly [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
cndmovn(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: front fuselage skins Reply with quote

YES!

I lost a two weeks in construction for the same issue.

Contact me off list at cndmovn(at)gmail.com (cndmovn(at)gmail.com) and I will tell you what they told me.

Cheers

Paul

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 8:27 PM, <Davcoberly(at)wmconnect.com (Davcoberly(at)wmconnect.com)> wrote:
[quote] Just wondered if anyone has had any trouble getting their new prepunched/cut front fuselage skins to fit right. Mine if I line up the precut spar hole then the aft rivet line is aft of the rear attach plate which has to rivet to the seat back channel which is forward of the attach plate also the baggage rivet holes are off. If you get these right the main spar and upright angle rivet holes are off 10 mm or more. I have measured and measured and I can find nowhere I'm off. Just thought some others might be having problems with these new skins. David Coberly
Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lwhitlow

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: front fuselage skins Reply with quote

Why not post it Zenith's response here?? I wrestled with the same problem but eventually made it all work

Larry Whitlow
601XL

PatrickW

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: front fuselage skins Reply with quote

Davcoberly(at)wmconnect.c wrote:
I have measured and measured and I can find nowhere I'm off.

I spent a ton of time agonizing over this as well.

In my case, what really started costing me time was a new digital level that I started using that is accurate to within .1 of a degree. I found myself continuously doing, redoing, redoing, and redoing again in futile attempts to get everything within .1 of a degree of everything else.

At that level of accuracy I think the expansion of metal in my shop (winter temperates well below zero at night to heated temperatures of ~60 degrees on a daily basis) come into play. Or maybe phases of the moon or something. I could get everything perfect, walk away and come back the next day and stuff would be .1 or .2 degrees off.

IMHO, accuracy is important, but these are not Mach 3 fighter planes we're building, and it's very easy to waste time beyond the point of diminishing returns in the quest for accuracy that is not obtainable by the human hand...

- Pat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: