Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bypassing the muffler heat cuff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Bypassing the muffler heat cuff? Reply with quote

I am not sure exactly where I should post this question…? I have a Continental IO-240 in my Experimental Vixen. I have the stainless steel heat cuff on the muffler to provide cabin heat. I want to disconnect the Scat tubing (inlet and outlet) and bypass the heat cuff completely. I will reroute and connect the Scat tubing. This will allow non heated air to flow through the heat/vent system to provide more cooling in the cockpit.

Will having the tubing disconnected create any strange heat issues? I really don’t think that it would…but would appreciate some feedback regarding this. Thanks!

Travis
Very Happy

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

Continental IO-240, Prince P-Tip Prop
ADI-II Autopilot
AnyWhereMap Navigation with weather
www.enotam.net (My Flying Info Website)
GLJSOJ1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Bypassing the muffler heat cuff? Reply with quote

Hi Travis

I'm no expert but what I did on my o-200 is use a air valve to let either heated air or outside air into the cabin. I bought it through Aircraft Spruce. I have a cool air tube as well as a warm air tube that stays attached to the heat muff. My flapper valve will still allow some air to flow through the heat muff and the vent overboard so that there is still air moving through the system to cool it somewhat. Biggest issue I see is the possible overheating of the exaust and heat muff as usually when these are in the off position, then air is dumped overboard. Just my thoughts as mine is not flying yet.

Glenn

601XL almost done N676L Reserved
Chesapeake
VA

Quote:
Subject: Bypassing the muffler heat cuff?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:57:46 -0700
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com

--> Continental-List message posted by: "FlyboyTR" <flyboytr(at)bellsouth.net>

I am not sure exactly where I should post this question…? I have a Continental IO-240 in my Experimental Vixen. I have the stainless steel heat cuff on the muffler to provide cabin heat. I want to disconnect the Scat tubing (inlet and outlet) and bypass the heat cuff completely. I will reroute and connect the Scat tubing. This will allow non heated air to flow through the heat/vent system to provide more cooling in the cockpit.

Will having the tubing disconnected create any strange heat issues? I really don’t think that it would…but would appreciate some feedback regarding this. Thanks!

Travis
Very Happy

--------
Travis Rayner
Mobile, AL
Skystar Vixen, N-789DF
IFR with Autopilot

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=172411#172411

&g=====================

Quote:

How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns here. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing the muffler heat cuff? Reply with quote

Glenn,
Thanks for the reply. I had considered doing that. I have the heater control valve that either allows the heated air into the cockpit or dumps it overboard. I would have to have a second system and a second control valve to manage the cool air. I was trying to just completely disconnect the heat for the warmer months. I would reconnect late in the fall. It is the muffler/cuff overheating that I am worried about...since the air flow in/out of the cuff does remove a measure of heat. Thanks...and I appreciate your suggestion!

Travis Very Happy

ADI-II Autopilot
RBartholomeee(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Bypassing the muffler heat cuff? Reply with quote

I have a 1965 Cessna 150E with a stock O200. Then scat hose from the hot end of the muff goes to a valve assemby on the firewall. When the heat is off, the hot air is allow to dump on the engine side of the firewall. When the heat is on it closes off the dump path and opens the access to the cabin through the firewall.

Roger (at) MD43
--

FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing the muffler heat cuff? Reply with quote

Let me see if I can clarify this... I have a fully functioning heating system with air control valve......etc,,,,,etc..... I do NOT have a secondary cool air inlet (only the one going to the heater cuff. Yes, I can start fabricating and cutting holes, installing new fresh air hoses, change the existing heater control valve so that it will accommodate both a hot and cold inlet, etc. Problem is.......I don't won't to do all that. I just want to completely bypass the heater cuff so that the air will flow directly to the control valve without being heated. This will help to add more cool air in the cockpit. the question is........ will this cause an overheating issue with the muffler/cuff (since it no longer will have cool air being ducted to it)?

I appreciate the suggestions...and I may have to do major plumbing work before it's over with...but for now, I'm looking for something quick and simple! Thanks again!

Travis

ADI-II Autopilot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: