Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHT markings for Rotax 503 DCSI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: CHT markings for Rotax 503 DCSI Reply with quote

Hi. I have a Kolb Twinstar Mark II with a Rotax 503 DCSI. I am trying to find the values to mark (green, red, yellow) my dual CHT.
Also is there some website where I could download a manual for this engine?
I looked for the technical specs on rotax-owner.com, but when I went to the 2-stroke selection, nothing came up.
Question

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: CHT markings for Rotax 503 DCSI Reply with quote

Get a CPS Catalog California Power Systems book all Rotax engine info is in there

Ellery in Maine

do not archive

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CHT markings for Rotax 503 DCSI Reply with quote

Thanks Ellery. I did get a new CPS catalog this week. I am seeing on page 25 the "Specifications and Technical Data" for the 503 Dual Ignition Engine. However there is no mention there of CHT or EGT values.

On page 205 under the "Instruments" section it states that optimum heat range is from 225F to 375F. I don't know if that would be my green markings on the CHT gauge because when I look at this website:
http://www.ultralightnews.com/engineinfo/chtwirdia.htm
It says:
"Normally a Rotax air cooled engine should read between 350F to 375F on a cylinder head temperature gauge (CHT) ."

(That's quite a big difference for normal range!...so which one is right?)

I believe 400F would be my red marking because both the book and the website list potential problems if the temp exceeds 400F.

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: CHT markings for Rotax 503 DCSI Reply with quote

I really like to see anywhere in the range of 225 F to 375 F Depending on the air Temp You will be flying in I have seen it in the mid 235 F on real cold in the single number temp days, or even on a hot day pulling the power back and putting your plane into a long dive will make your CHT drop a lot faster than it should Just keep it in between the 225 and the 375 F and you should be OK But I wouldn't let it get any lower than 225F because then you will be having Cold seizers (Cylinder Contracting faster than the piston and seizing the piston inside the Cylinder) your correct for the Red Line of 400 F Never exceed this temp Your aluminum parts are very close to the melting point and I don't think I have to explain what will happen then

When I got my airworthy inspection done I only had a Red line Mark on CHT and EGT Tach etc. that was all that was required but on your Airspeed You should have Your Green Safe operating range, Redline Never exceed, White Flap range ,Yellow Caution MAX Maneuvering speed, Redline VNE never exceed Speed

I am not an expert Just into alot of flying and Building Aircraft ,this is worth what you paid for it

Ellery in Maine Building Mk3Xtra, X-Air, Rans S-6, Thorp, Sky Ranger, Highlander,

do not archive

[quote][b]

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: CHT markings for Rotax 503 DCSI Reply with quote

Thanks again Ellery. Advice well worth paid for (I did contribute to the list fundraiser this month). You made me wonder about the markings and so I went back and re-read my email from the DAR and he only mentions the red mark on the CHT. Although it is GOOD for me to know what is a good and valid range for when I finally get to fly my little plane.

Thanks! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: