Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ring Flutter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Kerfoot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Ring Flutter? Reply with quote

What is piston "Ring Flutter"?? I have an IO360. Just how concerned should I be?

Fred K
Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today! [quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List

Do Not Archive
Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Ring Flutter? Reply with quote

Fredrick Kerfoot a écrit :
Quote:

What is piston "Ring Flutter"?? I have an IO360.

Ring flutter is an uncontrolled vibration of the piston rings when
pressure against the cylinder wall and rpm are inadequate.

Quote:
Just how concerned should I be?

In my opinion, no need to lose sleep over ring flutter on a Lyc.

Best regards,
--
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

esmith6(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Ring Flutter? Reply with quote

I would be concerned...I suggest you check your engine timing...Also if your fuel is old, it has lost some of it's volatility, and I would drain it and replace it with "fresh" gasoline...Are you burning Auto Gas?..The book says that 360 needs 100LL (all of them, 160 and above require it.)....................Good Luck.......................CHEERS!!!!.............................Gene Smith.
[quote] ---

jrccea(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Ring Flutter? Reply with quote

There are autogas STC's available for the 160.
JimC
[quote] ---

apilot2(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Ring Flutter? Reply with quote

I guess I just don't see how you relate a question about theoretical ring flutter with engine timing or age of fuel. I'm missing the connection. Actually a 180 only requires 91-96 or 91 mogas with STC.
Only the 160 and the 200hp versions need the extra octane.

On 10/10/07, Gene Smith <esmith6(at)satx.rr.com (esmith6(at)satx.rr.com)> wrote:[quote] I would be concerned...I suggest you check your engine timing...Also if your fuel is old, it has lost some of it's volatility, and I would drain it and replace it with "fresh" gasoline...Are you burning Auto Gas?..The book says that 360 needs 100LL (all of them, 160 and above require it.)....................Good Luck.......................CHEERS!!!!.............................Gene Smith.
[quote] ---

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Ring Flutter? Reply with quote

Finally, someone who paying attention.

Ring flutter is very rare. Especially at less than 2700 rpm. Piston
ring seal depends on a balance of four forces: combustion pressure,
ring inertia, the ring’s radial expansion pressure and crankcase
pressure. Ring flutter is uncontrolled oscillation due to an imbalance
of those forces. Once a piston’s rings go into flutter, their ability
to scrape oil off the cylinder wall as the piston moves downward is
impaired, blow-by increases and oil consumption rises dramatically.

The combination of high rpm and low crankcase pressure typical of low
engine loads causes those four forces to become imbalanced. The small
amount time the engine sees regular, high-rpm, light-load operation, is
rare. Even so, if that happens, you may experience ring flutter and
high oil consumption, but not likely.
--

Fergus Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Ring flutter? Reply with quote

Piston Ring flutter:
`....seems to me we had the same problem on the Super Connie (Old
Bob may comment here). This aircraft was named the largest 3-engined
airliner on the Atlantic. So. on pain of death no Driver, Airframe, would
ever reduce the Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP) below 90 with the RPM
at cruise or descent because the condition would induce 'ring flutter' and
an earlier engine change was inevitable.
I suspect my employer's profit was based more on engine changes than
seat mileage.
Cheers, Ferg

glcasey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Ring flutter? Reply with quote

On Oct 13, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Gary Casey wrote:

Quote:
I've heard this before, but consider this: The piston rings run at
no load half the time regardless of manifold pressure (BMEP).
During the exhaust and intake strokes the pressure is very low, so
if the rings were going to flutter why don't they do it then?
Gary

>
> Time: 06:37:28 AM PST US
> From: "Fergus Kyle" <VE3LVO(at)rac.ca>
> Subject: Ring flutter?
> Piston Ring flutter:
> `....seems to me we had the same problem on the Super Connie (Old
> Bob may comment here). This aircraft was named the largest 3-engined
> airliner on the Atlantic. So. on pain of death no Driver,
> Airframe, would
> ever reduce the Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP) below 90 with
> the RPM
> at cruise or descent because the condition would induce 'ring
> flutter' and
> an earlier engine change was inevitable.
> I suspect my employer's profit was based more on engine changes than
> seat mileage.
> Cheers, Ferg

AzevedoFlyer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Ring flutter? Reply with quote

Gary,
Baring gross factors like excessively worn groove or mismatched axial clearance between ring and groove, ring flutter results from inertial forces + pressure unbalance between the top face and lower face of the ring. Mostly, it restricts itself to the first compression ring but I've seen the 2nd and occasionally even the 3rd (oil ring) undergoing flutter. For this unbalancing to occur, some gas has to leak into and pressurize the inter ring (1st - 2nd) cavity. Along the expansion stroke, this stagnation pressure becomes higher than the pressure acting over the top of the 1st ring. When this occurs, the 1st ring lifts from its lower face contact with the groove. How flutter progresses from this point onwards can become a very complex process. On the other hand, if you ran an engine without any load on it at high revs, inertia will become predominant and lift the 1st ring, causing flutter. In a plane, such a situation might conceivably occur if you dive with throttle closed and the propeller drives the engine to a sufficiently high revs. Lastly, flutter refers to a rapid oscillation of the ring in the groove. Not to a normal change of lateral face contact of the ring with the groove. This last is usually precluded by either ring geometry (torsion) or by adhesive forces generated by oil surface tension.
Cheers,
Miguel
N8714D
PA22/20-150

See [quote][b]

MONTY(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Ring flutter? Reply with quote

In many years of aircraft ( and other engines, some of which are very high speed ), I don’t think I have ever encountered a positive ring flutter situation.
The ring damage I have seen other than excessive groove clearance has been caused by not enough end gap, high power being used before cylinders were up to the proper temperature, ( 300 F ) and detonation. An interesting observation is that a large percentage of new piston rings are NOT FLAT, but have a wavy surface. A couple of manufactures’ go to great lengths to insure the surfaces a absolutely flat. They use very sophisticated equipment to inspect for this condition.

Pressure is always present behind the rings during the compression, power strokes and even thru the blowdown period of exhaust. Pressure is what makes the ring seal.
I agree that the pressure behind the 2nd ring is not as high as the top ring.

High engine speed, high forward speed and low manifold pressure is more likely to damage counterweights on the crank; that is the big danger with operating an engine in this manner. Also dangerous is the fact that the cylinder barrel and head will cool at a much faster rate with the above mentioned operating procedure than the piston, which leads to the barrel shrinking down on the piston. I have seen piston top lands with metal “ pulled “ . This phenomenon is usually referred to as “ shock cooling “.

The current design piston rings are semi-keystone ( half wedge ) which are designed to move in and out radially so not to “ stick “ in the groove and to help the ring seal when the cylinder is NOT up to temperature. Older designs were full keystone. Some engines still use full keystone rings.

Some piston rings also have an angle cut on the inboard edge to allow some “ twisting “ of the ring and is used for a couple of purposes; 1. to place a sharp corner of the ring to the barrel face for oil scavenging, 2. to reduce barrel wear because the tension of the ring is somewhat reduced when the ring is “ twisted “, 3. to allow the ring to
“ hydroplane “ over an oil film. Plasma filled rings are rarely twisted. In fact, a plasma filled ring should be installed with great care so as NOT to twist the ring.

Monty Barrett

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: