Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optional Kits from Lancair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lancair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfreeman505(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Optional Kits from Lancair Reply with quote

I will start building my Legacy Kit at the factory Jan. 2008 and am wondering if the optional kits from Legacy are good values. I am considering the IO-550 (rebuilt 44K), Hydraulic and Fuel line kit ($3,200), and the Engine Fast Build Kit (12K). Any thoughts??

Thanks, Bobby
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lancair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lancair-List
longg(at)pjm.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Optional Kits from Lancair Reply with quote

lots of thoughts Smile

Bobby,
Short background...
I started my kit build in March of this year. I spent 2 weeks at the factory.

Synopsis..
Lancair kits are well designed and well thought out. You will sometimes suffer from parts shortages because of vendor issues, but they work very hard and always produce a fine product. As noted you will pay a premium price for their goods, but rest assured, they will fulfill the order. Every time you need something they will have it right there, you just need to write a check.

That said, there is a bit of reality when building a composite airplane.

1. If you don't plan to finish the airplane there in the prescribed 10 weeks, don't be in a hurry to spend your money. There is so much to building a Legacy you can work for a year or more and never spend a dime on more than the kit and some basic supplies etc. If that is the case, hold off on ordering the extras that will just sit around in your garage for a long time collecting rust and dust. Leave your money where it can work for you.

2. Starting a kit build is very exciting and naturally you want everything done yesterday. For good reason it does not happen that way. As you learn to work as they do you will discover things you need and don't need. After six months you may even find that the same fuel line can be bought at NAPA or from any number of web vendors at more competitive prices. I have even discovered that there are better ways than those prescribed in the plans. Lancair may also offer alternatives to problem/solutions.

3. If you are flush with green and want this thing done before cinco de Mayo day, then stay at the factory and buy their package (they will even install it for you almost free because the labor is sort of built into the price and of course because they are nice people).

4. The day you leave the factory your productivity will drop by about 1000%. You just can't keep that pace up on your own. Therefore ordering lots of things in advance is just like buying inventory to sit on the shelf.

5. Here is one option you will need to buy sooner than later. They will provide you with 2 very nice hardware kits which have one of each nut/bolt/washer you will need. The catch is not every hole in the design fits with every bolt in the box. Be sure you have two more of everything and buy sizes one up and down from what they give you. You will find your requirements will vary. It is also good to go to your hardware store and spend $50 on a lot of similarly sized nuts and bolts to use temporarily until you are sure you are ready to lock that bolt down and torque paint it - no going back (mentally anyway).

6. Keep your hardware well organized while working at the factory. That stuff walks away like you wouldn't imagine. When I was there they had 4-5 Legacy project going at once - man there is people and machinery flying everywhere.

If Chris is still there request he is part of your team. He is a real detail person. You want Jeff to assist with your frame alignment and stub wing installation. That's his specialty. The shop tends to have a fairly high turnover, so lol. When I was there they had 3 Philippine interns which were fantastic at plastic work. Hopefully you will be so lucky .

Hope that helps.

[quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mlas(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Optional Kits from Lancair Reply with quote

Bobby,

Some of what Lancair has to offer is a good value, others are not. If I had the chance I would ask you what your priorities are! First the Legacy is by far the easiest kit I have ever worked on. The most labor intensive part of the build is the wing center section, wing close out, tail alignment, canopy, system closeout (wires and sub systems), hydraulic lines, and sanding. If you do the first two weeks of factory build you will be left with system closeouts, hydraulic lines, and sanding and the major labor parts. The best part of the factory build is the use of their jigs, it saved more then six months vs. doing the jigging yourself.. The rest of the builder assist is just them building your airplane. One thing to consider is that the Lancair folks are under time pressures and want to work fast. When building an airplane moving fast equals weight. If you want it don fast then you have work hard to not allow process and parts to increase the weight of the airplane. For example, you brought up the hydraulic and fuel line kit. It sounds good on paper, fast and easy to install. Have you ever weighed a pre-built line vs. a hand made line? There are reasons for making hand built lines. The hand build lines equal, aprox. 1/10 the weight of the pre-built line, and there are lots of line in a Legacy. I have flown five different Legacy’s and the weight differences can be dramatic. The heaviest Legacy that I have flown so far was 1780 pounds (without interior)and the lightest was 1520 pounds (with interior). My airplane is 1560 and the average is 1670. It takes a lot of time to make the lines, but it can be worth it. You will never be able to do the 10 week factory build with hand made line unless you stay up nights building them, that’s why they have the kit. So if weight is not that important to you (it should be), then the kit will be fine.

I went with a IO-550N engine from Performance engines out of California. Many Legacy owners have made this choice and to my knowledge they have been very happy. When I was looking at my options I reduced it down to Factory New, Factory Zero Time, Performance Engines (ported ,polished, 10:1, balanced, electronic ignition, dual alt.), Barrett Performance Engines (same opt. as Performance.) The price was the same or close for all listed except for the Zero time OH, that was cheaper. I work with the Red Bull Air Race folks and found that we have been using the Performance and Barrett engines in almost all the planes. The few problems we have had with the race planes have been from the other engines. Let me tell you, these racers are not kind to these engines and they have worked without issue for the past three years without major problems. I was sold! I now have 300+ hours on my engine and life is good.

I am currently helping two other Legacy builders, let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike
mlas(at)cox.net
--

hamilton(at)twinwolf.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Optional Kits from Lancair Reply with quote

Mike what electronic ignition system did you use. I have a 520 with mags and am interested in an upgrade.
al [quote][b]

mlas(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Optional Kits from Lancair Reply with quote

Al,

I have Dual the Light Speed Plasma III.

Mike
--

mlas(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Optional Kits from Lancair Reply with quote

Al,

I have the dual Light Speed Plasma III.

Mike
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lancair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: