Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***SPAM*** Re: Float on landing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill(at)repucci.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: ***SPAM*** Re: Float on landing Reply with quote

Mike,

Abeam the numbers I'm at 1000 AGL, throttle to idle, drop all the flaps in and trim it for 65.

Originally I tried 10 degrees abeam the numbers, 20 on base, and 30 on final but I found this works better. It also keeps my patterns very close and tight.

My preferred landing is a three point but I am starting to wheel land this thing. Wheel landings are probably best but I still need to work on them.

The airport I fly out of is 2300 feet long by 30 feet wide. Last night I wheel landed it on, touched down at about 300 feet, held the tail up until there was no more up elevator, my roll was probably close to 1000 feet, maybe less. No brakes were used and never really are, except to turn around.

Last weekend I took a guy for a ride who owns a Citabria and I was going to let him take off until I realized he couldn't hold a straight line while taxing on grass. The VS and rudder on the -9 is VERY effective but not touchy, IMHO. It will do well in a cross wind.

BTW, I regularly do full deflection slips at 65 MPH. Another nice thing about the airport I fly out of are the beautiful trees at each end.

The -9 really, really, really likes to float so speed control seems to be everything!

Today I did an approach at 60 MPH. I don't recommend that as you are right on the edge of a high sink rate or stall. You would be much better holding 60 w/ power and fly it down behind the power curve to a landing. Mike, with the tundra tires you are going to install on your -9, you can give that a try.

Here is some incentive for those you who are still building...

Nora and I flew the -9 down to North Myrtle Beach (CRE) for lunch. It took less than an hour each way. By 11 we had our feet in the ocean, lunch at 1, back in the plane at 2:30 and enjoying the Charlotte Greek Festival with friends by 5. She is currently looking at maps to find other places we can fly to.

Bill

--

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: