Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical system 912S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savannah174(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Electrical system 912S Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Thanks to Thilo, Hugh and Roger for their advise on the installation of a capacitor. Do you think the (+) lead of the capacitor be installed directly into the B+ connection of the regulator or would it be better at another location. I am planning on a firewall install with an Adell clamp (cushion clamp) any inputs on that?

RJ
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical system 912S Reply with quote

I believe it is supposed to be installed at the +B terminal of the reg/rect.
This setup will protect your reg/rect and possibly your instruments. This does depend on how the battery is setup with your on/off switch.
Your battery can act as a protector to the system too if it was setup that way.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Electrical system 912S Reply with quote

Roger:
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
I know you have a 912S and not a 912 UL, but just a few other points concerning the electrical wiring for the 912 UL. If you wire the engine as shown in the Rotax 912 UL Installation manual, page 46 of 66, under Section17 Electrical System (I am assuming 912S electrical system is the same as the 912 UL, if not, forget what I am about to tell you) you will drain the battery down while your plane is in the hanger even though you have turned the ignition switch off. I had this problem for some time and could not understand why until an electrical technician from Sanford, NC told me what to do. I am not an electrical engineer or an electrical tech., but it solved my problem.
Yes, the capacitor (+) goes to the +B connection on the regulator, but it is also connected to the R, L, and C terminals (see the Rotax engine wiring diagram). What the diagram does not show is that you must have a disconnect (breaker or switch) between the Capacitor (+) and the C terminal on the regulator to break this circuit leg when the engine is not running. Because I had already finished my panel and the wiring was finished, the quickest way to fix the problem for me was to add another breaker/ switch (I use Potter-Brumfield Series W23 breakers through out my panel which serve the dual function of breaker protection and as a switch) in the panel to physically break this circuit when the engine is off. I simply have this procedure to close or open the circuit on my checklist for start-up and shutdown. If you catch this early enough you may be able to take care of the problem by correctly wiring it through the ignition switch such that the Capacitor (+) and C terminal is broken when you turn your switch to OFF. However you do it, this circuit must be open when the engine is OFF.
Hugh McKay
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of Roger Roy
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 6:11 PM
To: rotaxengines-list
Subject: RotaxEngines-List: Electrical system 912S
Thanks to Thilo, Hugh and Roger for their advise on the installation of a capacitor. Do you think the (+) lead of the capacitor be installed directly into the B+ connection of the regulator or would it be better at another location. I am planning on a firewall install with an Adell clamp (cushion clamp) any inputs on that?

RJ [quote]<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]> - The RotaxEngines-List Email Forum - --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List   - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - --> http://forums.matronics.com<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>[b]

Savannah174(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Electrical system 912S Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Hugh, Not sure but I do believe the wiring systems for both the 912UL/ULS are the same. The Savannah aircraft kit #3 was a complete Engine/ airframe kit all electrical system came with a pre-assembled harness, "plug and play" as the saying goes. I haven' had any discharge problems as of yet but your information is now on file should I need to revert to it. A few years back I ordered Bob Nuckolls "Aeroelectric Connection" and have acquired overnight an unbelievable education in aircraft electronics. Again thanks

RJ

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: