Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912UL Lost oil???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 912UL Lost oil??? Reply with quote

Hi Don,

Here is a website for some good basic info on different oils. It will fill in the gaps of why's and why nots. It will tell you what the additives are for and who's oils seem to hold up better under certain conditions. This is only one article and it was done for Amsoil, but shows about 20 different oils. I like this article for learning about the basics because it is easy to understand for most people. Look at the foaming properties and what shear additives do for oils. After you read about shear additive you will understand why Rotax doesn't really want a car oil unless it is all that is available.
Just read the article and make up your own mind.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

The reason for not using full synthetic with a lot of 100LL (more than 30% of the time) is that synthetic will not suspend the lead and it will fall out of the oil solution and collect in palces like the oil tank and different parts of the engine. A little use of 100LL with synthetic is ok, but with a more steady diet of 100LL you should be using semi-synthetic. Synthetic will be a better choice than regular oil for the Rotax. I don't know enough about Kendall to comment, but maybe this article will help you make some decisions.

You don't want an "Energy Conserving" (doesn't mean full synthetic) oil like some car oils as someone mentioned. Motorcycle oils are not "Energy Conserving". Bad for clutches and our gearbox, makes them slip.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Don G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 912UL Lost oil??? Reply with quote

Gents....I AM FIXED!

AND speaking of Lockwoods 912 schools!!!!...did you read the short article in last Kitplanes about the author attending the school, and giving some highlites of the advice there??.....WEll he gave me the final clue.
It was a short mention of the 2 different choices for oil return line location. And remember me telling you guys that I took out a plug towards the rear of the bottom of the crankcase????and a quart of oil ran out????
The author mentioned that in a pusher installation, the plug on the bottom of the crankcase closest to the gearbox will be the lowest on climb and in any nose up attitude, and the opposite end will be lowest on a tractor engine...and you are to use the lowest one. WELL, that plug I took out was where the banjo bolt return line was supposed to be installed!...mine was at the wrong end, causeing alot of oil to just sit in the crankcase, and it was likely sucking air every time I had the nose up...INcludeing sitting on the ramp at rest.
I changed the location...test ran it for 10 minutes...then 2 or 3 touch and goes...temps stayed down, inlcudeing one run clear around the patch at WOT. Then stopped...added some fuel and flew to an airpark 40 miles away and landed...grabbed a Ice tea...and flew home. Oil temps steady at 210 all the time. WAHOOO!
I thank all who responded and helped me think this thru!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 912UL Lost oil??? Reply with quote

Don,

Congratulations. Keep on flying and have fun.
P.S.
Still read the article. LOL

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
dave(at)dreamwings.co.za

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: 912UL Lost oil??? Reply with quote

Great news Don.

Quote:
Do you know which direction the vent hose fitting in the tank
neck points on your bird Dave? On mine, it points at 9 oclock from above,
which
means in a 90deg left bank, it points straight down.

Mine points at 9 o'clock, the tank is on the left hand side of the cowl.
Keep in mind that even in a steep left turn, the force is towards the bottom
of the plane so the oil in the tank should remain level (relative to the
tank). So unless you are slipping, the oil shouldn't come out of the tank
vent. Have you ever seen the video of Bob Hoover poaring a cup of tea from a
jug whilst rolling the Shrike Commander. Even inverted the tea flows from
the jug into the cup.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp2Uc9XvmjY>

Dave

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 912UL Lost oil??? Reply with quote

Hi All,

So who all read the article on oil? Did you find it informative? Something to at least base your ideas of oil properties.
You don't have to be an Amsoil fan, but it does explain what oils do and why.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Don G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 912UL Lost oil??? Reply with quote

I read it Roger, Digested the whole thing. a good informative test I would say.

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: