Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pump recall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi All,

Go to the Rotax website and print out the new bulletin for the 912 series engine fuel pump replacement. If your pump falls within the serial number recall (located on the pump itself) and it has an "AC" stamped on it then it is under the replacement program. This recall should cover quite a few engines. I hope everyone who has a fairly new 912 filed the warranty registration?
Bottom line is if you have a Rotax 912 engine, reguardless of age it should be registared with Rotax. Take the time and do this simple process.
This is not something to panic over, but just needs to be done.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Replaced my fuel pump the other day. It is really not hard. I would highly recommend usinga Dremel Tool with a cut-off wheel if you have fire sleve over your fuel lines with the stainless-steel clamps. The fuel lines on my aircraft had heavy duty ferrules that attached the fuel line to the pump. Use the Dremel here also if you want your life to be easy and to have a quick job. You aren't going to cut these with dikes.
Fuel pressure now runs around 3.1-3.3 psi.

Just keep saying Dremel Tool. This really does make it a quick job.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

What type of fuel line and fire sleeve did you use ? I have been wanting to do this, but did not know which is the best for a 912 type installation... Where did you get it ? Also which clamps did you use ? I safty wired all my fuel tubing on the fitting.

My eninge is just over a year old, wonder how many service bullitens there are on it Sad The fuel pump is easy enough, but the grapevine has it that there might be more that apply to newer engines.

Has anyone tried the Purolator oil filter on the 912 yet ?

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I'm on the Kolb list , too. I had a Kolb Mark III for 3 years. I now have a Flight Design CT.

You can get your fire sleve, fuel line and hose clamps from CPS or Aircraft Spruce. The clamps are supposed to be different from automotive clamps, but I do not know the difference. When you put the fire sleve on over the fuel line or actually any line there should be no rubber hose or exposed hose showing under the fire sleve. It should go from metal fitting on one end to a metal fitting on the other. The fire sleve should have a coating on the bare ends so the fire sleve won't soak up oils or fuels. They make a coating for it or you could use the RV High Temp silicone.

I would go onto the Rotax wesite under "service documentation" and look for any bulletins.

The purlator filter is a really good filter. It is better than the Fram and Rotax filter. It is hard to convince some people that change sometimes is good.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Roger: I have heard various opinions about how many fuel lines on the 912 UL
should be fire sleeved. My Allegro 2000 has 6 lines that can have fuel in
them to varying degrees as follows:

1. Main fuel pressure line from the electric fuel pump through the firewall
to the mechanical pump on the engine.
2. Fuel line from the mechanical pump on the engine to the fuel manifold
("neck 5").
3. Fuel line from the fuel manifold to Carb. #1.
4. Fuel line from the fuel manifold to Carb. #2.
5. Fuel line to the fuel pressure gauge on the panel.
6. Fuel return line back through the firewall to the main tank.

Do all of these lines require fire sleeves?

Hugh McKay
Allegro 2000
N661WW
912UL

--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

You're supposed to have any rubber type fuel line sleved. If a carb line is metal then no sleveing. The rubber style lines up to the fire wall should be sleved and any other lines in the engine compartment that are of the rubber type line and that is not metal. The fire wall is supposed to be sealed where any line goes through to stop any fire or smoke travel into the cabin. The fire sleve is supposed to give you time to get to the ground before the engine compartment erupps in flames. If that happens a lot of aircraft are only fiberglass or plastic and they will burn very fast when fuel is added. Gasoline gan get fires up to 2000 degrees and then add plastic then you won't be able to breath in an enclosed cabin. It will be engulfed in flames before you get down. I knew a guy whose Rotorway helicopter caught fire in flight. It happened so fast he was dead when he tried to land and he wasn't very high up. Plastic, wing fiber covering and fuel burn very hot and produce toxic fumes when together.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Roger: Thanks! They all will be sleeved I assure you.

Hugh

--

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I looked at the FlightDesign CT, looks like a neat plane with very good visibility for a tractor design. How do you like it, looks like it would glide very well and also be pretty fast.

On the fuel tubing and fire sleeve, I am going to have to change all mine out. I was looking at all the different stuff Aircraft Spruce offered, but there were so many I could not figure out which one to use Sad Im not to concerned about the price, do you know which would be the best to use to protect from fire and also getting leaks by rubbing etc ?

Here is a picture of what I have now, it kind of scares me for long term use.

Mike

UltralightMikeKolbDetail12-27-2006-049.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.62 KB
 Viewed:  713 Time(s)

UltralightMikeKolbDetail12-27-2006-049.JPG

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I like the CT a lot. It has a very large cabin for width and for long legs. It carries luggage well. I's glide is 14:1 and I cruise at 115-130 mph at 4700-5000 rpm. It's a sleek little plane in the air and handles like a little Ferrari. Really a nice little cross country machine. If you get the chance to fly in a CT I think you will like it. Cheap to fly, just like the Kolb except for the initial cost. I travel all over now and never worry about fuel (holds 34 gal), luggage room or comfort. I even have in flight movies.

Here is the website on CPS. The fire sleve should protect you hose for up to 20 min. in case of fire.
The fire sleve works very well if you cut it and wrap hose areas that will rub. Fire sleve is quite tough.
Even though you do not have an enclose cowling, think about a fuel ignition and getting sprayed by the wind as liquid fire to your tail section.
http://www.rotaxparts.net/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=1287
Hose Cover (P117)

It is sold at $.98 per foot. CPS seems to be cheaper than Aircraft Spruce.

P117 Firesleeve Hose Cover. Firesleeve Hose cover offers the maximum in fire protection. Orange seamless silicone outer surface cushioned by braided fiberglass inner core. Together with the hose and fittings shown here will provide protection from 2000F for 20 minutes. Simply slips over #181413 hose shown above. Secure in place with stepless clamp and bio-therm 100 for fire proof installations. Conforms to SAE Aerospace standard 1072A Type 2A. Sold by the inch.

Miscellaneous :

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Roger: I think the price is $0.98 per inch, not per foot. At least that is
what CPS's add says.

Hugh McKay

--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Your right about .98 per inch. I wasn't watching what I was typing. I should have read what I typed more carefully.

That makes Aircraft Spruce much cheaper. Use the silicone fire sleeve not the black one. I don't have a book in front of me, but I think the black fire sleeve max temp rating is like 365F. The silicone fire sleeve is rated at 2000F. On the page in Aircraft Spruce it's the second hose listed.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Roger:

For 1/2" OD rubber hose I used 9/16" ID Fire Sleeve. This size Fire sleeve
is prices at $7.30/ft from Aircraft Spruce, I got mine from Chief Aircraft
at $6.95/ft. You can find them at www.chiefaircraft.com

Hugh

--

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump recall Reply with quote

Thanks Roger,

I had looked at this firesleeve before and liked it, there were just so many I did not know which one to get. I will definatly buy and install it. I think any kind of small fire would burn through the clear hose I have now very quickly and turn into a big fire, tha thas always worried me. Thanks for posting this information.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: