Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Lycoming Website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon A. Delamarter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Check out the new Lycoming website at www.lycoming.com.

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Is there any chance Lycoming could buy-out the LASAR portion of
Unison/GE and make it work? It took me 10 months to get the correct
controller and harness. Then, when I had questions, no one would
return my calls. In fact, I never did get a call back from Steve
Carter at Unison. I was never able to talk to anyone regarding the
timing of the mags.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jon A. Delamarter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Gary:

Thanks for your question. I'm not aware of any intitiative from Lycoming to procure any part of Unison's business. However, I am frequently in contact with Unison. I would like to forward your request to my contact, Fred Sontag. Please email me your concerns at jdelamarter(at)lycoming.textron.com. I will communicate with Fred and ask him for a response. I know from talking to him that he is working hard to close the loop on these types of concerns. He took care of one of my customers recently in an extremely effective manner.

Regards,

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I do firewall forward restorations on Grumman
Tigers and Cheetahs about 3 or 4 times a year. About 50% of them ask
for the LASAR mags and, quite frankly, I discourage it because of my
experience with Unison. They, it appears to me and everyone else with
whom I've talked, have no desire to produce this product. I get the
impression that the LASAR mags are a nuisance to them. I would like to
see Lycoming take the initiative and produce an electronic ignition for
their engines. And do it a lot simpler than Unison. Right now there
are several electronic ignitions on the market for experimental
aircraft that are clean and simple; get one of them approved for
certified aircraft.

Gary

--

Jon A. Delamarter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Gary:

Actually, Lycoming is extensively engaged in Electronic Engine Control development. I can't spill the beans yet, but suffice to say that we are making excellent progress and I am really excited about the product we will be bringing to market! This system will control all engine parameters, not just ignition. Keep watching!

All the best,

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Awesome. In what year?

--

Jon A. Delamarter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Again, I'm not at liberty to discuss development details, including timelines, but I can tell you that the EEC program is Lycoming's top new product development program. Our team of engineers and experimental technicians is working almost around the clock to complete the project.

Jon A. Delamarter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Okay, Gary, here's the response from Unison.

Hey Jon,

Sounds to me like your customer got a bit of the "Unison shuffle". I can assure you and your customer Unison does not view LASAR as a nuisance, but as a premium product that requires a lot of hands on to "spec" out a complete system. We often ask questions that, to an end customer, may seem ridulous or uneccessary, but we require a lot of information to provide them with the exactly correct system.

One of the major problems with LASAR is the complete lack of skilled individuals in the field with the LASAR systems. Unlike our Slick magnetos, LASAR is not a simple product. So many mechanics shy away from it, typically as it is not a simple product to understand. For that reason, all LASAR questions are now 100% answered by Unison, not by trained mechanics in the field. If we had to answer every single question about Slick mags, we'd be overloaded. So with LASAR, it's a crushing amount of interest handled by only one or two people at Unison. In fact, while we do not attempt to make excuses, our product support engineer of 45 years, Lyman Hardt, passed away last year. His loss has hurt Unison in many ways. Specifically, in our piston engine product support group. We lost more than a person, we lost a lifetime of experience.

It sounds like here, your customer may have caught our product support person (yes, we only have one) on a bad day. We have not replaced Lyman at Unison and left 100% of his responsibilities to one person. While I may personally disagree with this strategy, it is what it is.

What I recommend for your customers is to contact our piston engine product support line at 904-739-4081 first. We are adding a new (not really new, as he's been at Unison for almost 10 years) product support engineer in the next few weeks. If your end customers do not feel they are getting the support they require, feel free to have them contact our field reps as referenced below.

I can assure you, Unison is not going anywhere. While we are not perfect, we strive to fix any perceived issues in a timely manner. Kinda like LASAR, which has undergone 4 revision upgrades in it's 12 year history, we put our money where our mouth is. By the way, you can tell your customer that the LASAR product line is for sale. What's he offering?... Smile

From stormy New Zealand,

Fred Sontag
Unison Distribution Sales Manager

Eastern US & Canada
Kara Smith
904-739-4208
kara.smith(at)unisonindustries.com

Western US & Canada
Gina Van Slyke
904-739-4049
gina.van.slyke(at)unisonindustries.com

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

About time!!!!!

Thanks. I'll be watching! What I'd like to see is a control by wire piston
engine. One control for everything.

Noel

[quote] --

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

is this something as straight forward (I say, tongue-in-cheek) to
install as the LASAR?

--

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I printed the email, I'll save it for future
installations. Hopefully, next time will go easier.

--

Jon A. Delamarter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Lycoming Website Reply with quote

That is the intent.

Quote:
[quote="Float Flyr"]About time!!!!!

Thanks. I'll be watching! What I'd like to see is a control by wire piston
engine. One control for everything.

Noel

Quote:
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: